Downswing, should I drop down?

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys,

The last week or so I'm on a pretty big down swing, I've recently turned from cash to mtt's, Studied a lot about mtt's. But now I just don't seem to win anything.
My BR is 1100 and I Just started playing 3.50 and am now playing 7$ 45-mans. usually 4-6 at a time.
now I've played around 50 games (I know the sample is reaaaally small, but playing 7$ tournaments, and barely ever getting ITM, 200 more and I'm broke) But after reviewing the games, I noticed I've busted in most of them by suckouts/bad beats.
Now I know I have a lot of big leaks, Still, I can't really help it if I lose my 20BB stack at the FT bubble with AA, and these kind of hands happen all the time.

Today I've played a live game and it all just continued the same road down, I've only played a few major hands over 4 hours (I think I had like 10 playable hands) and I've noted all of them:
AA<QQ
AK<AT<AJ
AQ<AJ
AJ<AT
K8>AT (His last 10BB, he was a maniac)

TPTK on the flop, he rivers a straight.
TPTK on the flop, he rivers trips.

now these are literally all the big hands I've played,

This has been a trend for me the last week, and I know variance is just in the game and I'll have to learn to deal with it, but the question is, how?
I've played cash games the last couple of months, and I beat 5NL for 10bb/100 over 100K hands, I was rolling pretty damn good the whole time, and didn't face a single downswing, everything came my way.
And now it's the other way around, and I have no clue how to handle it without losing my whole BR.

So a few questions:
1. Should I drop down in stakes? (meaning I go back to 3.50 45mans)
2. Should I take a break from poker for a week or so and sit it out? (I'm not a big fan of this because I have no school for the rest of the month, and I see it as an opportunity to really improve my game)

3. I've heared from a lot of people that cash game players are generally just really bad at mtt's. Now I've quit cash games because they bored the hell out of me (sitting at tables full of nits in the micros (FR)), So I don't really want to go back to those games. And this might sound ridicilous, but am I maybe just "Doomed" in mtt's because I started with cash games?
I'm nowhere near a good cash game player, but maybe I've just got a bad mindset because I've played so many cash game hands when I started?

Sorry for the long post, but I hope you guys can help me out =)

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you was crushing cash, over 100k without any downswings - why would you switch to higher varience games like MTT's/SnG'S?

If you're losing, then yes...move down. With $1100 you are rolled for $7, but if you can't mentally handle it. Drop down and grind the $3.50's.

Taking a break is good, and I'd advise it if you can do it. It's never a bad thing when losing to take a break.

If you can beat micro cash games, there's no reason you can't beat micro MTT/SnG's. I've played both formats, both are equally bad but I'd say you avg player in a MTT/SnG is worse than in cash games.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
stick to whatever makes your bankroll grow. i think only you know the answer to this. are you playing sng's cause your bored? cause if thats the case id stick to cash and just play less if you find it that boring. experimenting with new formats in order to spicen up your poker day can, and obviously has, cost you some money.

R

RUNRRUNRTO

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say drop down. You must know that tournament play is much different from cash games. Find your comfort zone in tournament. Once you begin to see a profit then move back up.

MediaBLITZ

MediaBLITZ

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if you can honestly say that it's been bad beats smacking you around then stick it out as the math (variance) will swing back and put you on fire.
Or you can submit some of these tourneys for hand review to see if some leaks can get plugged up as you acquire better tournament skills.
But kind of funny, you crush cash but what you really want to do (tourney) you struggle with. I am highly profitable in tourneys but what I really want to do (cash) usually convinces me I should never look at another hole card.

BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for all the responses!
Yes I did quit cash games indeed because I find them boring, and because I think tourney's are way more fun.
I know tourneys are different , I've watched a lot dc videos about them.
I really want to stick to tournaments and I guess it isN't impossible to become a winning player there?
For now I'll just play the 3.50s until I beat them, thanks!

Oh btw:
I've fooled alot with different games, and I really want to start to focus on one game, and improve in that game.
Now there's one more option for me, altho I think I prefer mtts, 6max cash games, they seem way more funZ
But i've tried a few of them and lost a lot, does anyone know a good read for sh cashgames?
Also; if I decide to play them, just I skip the micros? (I've heared that tip a few times)

Last edited:
BvBrMTW

BvBrMTW

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finished 6 3.50 games today, 3 final tables, up 35$, Guess there's a some hope =)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Plug the leaks first, role with the variance, it will swing your way eventually and play the level you feel most comfortable.God Luck!

B

BomTombadil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You said "this might sound ridicilous, but am I maybe just "Doomed" in mtt's because I started with cash games?" The answer is no. Cash and mtt's are different for sure, but many people play both very well. Learning to play both well and understanding the difference in strategy will help you become a well rounded poker player and be more able to adjust to what ever situation you find yourself in at the tables. Dropping down in stakes is probably a good idea too, it might help get your confidence up after running bad.

4evertilted

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you are taking in the risk vrs reward factor of MTT's . 45 sit and goes are not MMT's. With a mtt you can easily 100 times your buyin or more depending on the amount of players. There are so many more fish in large mtt and once you build your stack you can easily weather the storm of a couple of bad beats.

J

JaguarJT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can understand the getting bored at lower levels, however you should play within your comfortable range. MTT's are the most fun and rewarding, but it sounds as if you are somewhat a beginning player so it'll take repetition and practice.

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Getting frustrating.. Can't seem to win... Simple solution take a week off and come back a lower level and see how things run. *in other sports you will often see elite athletes go down a level to get their flare back* If that fails perhaps you need to take another week off and use it to study/analyse ur games.

Everyone goes on winning/losing streaks but how we deal with these swings defines us to how good a player we are!