Double or nothing merge

K

kaotickevin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello all, I recently deposited $25 on merge to only play don s&g's

It has been 21 days, I have played 12k hands, maintaining a 17% roi, and currently have $125

The don limits on merge are, 1.10, 2.20, 5.50, 11, 22 33 and so on

I am wondering if anyone is currently building a roll this way, or has in the past

I would like to know when I should move up limits in these games, I started playing at 2.20 and have not moved up yet

Thanks

L

Lekoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing about month or two DoN super turbo (4seats) on william hill (Ipoker).
I started playing those with 1 Euro buy-in where I had great winrate.
I moved to 2 Euros buy in when I had about 30 buy ins (60 euros). I was usually playing 4 tables at a time btw, which is enough to keep me from being bored.
And after that when I had about 25-30 buy ins I moved to those of 5 euros. There I reduced my seats to 2 tables only at a time. I had a good wining rate at those dons also(they have smaller fee percentage) , but have in mind that if u play against almost same opponents always you should think about getting a HM2 or pokertracker 4. It could help you a lot and safe you a lot of cash.
Anyway, you can start

Dlew123

Dlew123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im doing the same thing and playing these

alltho i do play cash and normal mtt turnys as well

i need to ge my bankroll a bit bigger on there

i go on real good runs and then like today i lost 4 sit and go's in a row to bad beats

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Merge is the SKIN Carbon uses so basically Carbon=Merge

Thing about Merges SNG's (with the exception of the HU games) is the rake is high I think a $1.10 game on Merge is .95c+.15c when it should be $1+.10

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Merge is the SKIN Carbon uses so basically Carbon=Merge

Thing about Merges SNG's (with the exception of the HU games) is the rake is high I think a $1.10 game on Merge is .95c+.15c when it should be $1+.10
this is why i basically gave up on don with a 61% win rate..havent tried since

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Dollar DoN's on Carbon are $0.99 + $0.11, dollar 6-max hypers are $1.01 + $0.09. The regular SNG's are $0.95 + $0.15, it's pretty easy to see why those are usually empty.

I play pretty much only DoN's on Carbon and my roll is generally trending up, but I play only a few a day at the most so nothing groundbreaking is going to happen anytime soon.

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing the $2 DoNs with relative success. Using the winnings from that to enter the 6pm $1000 guaranteed for $2 or the 9pm $500 guaranteed for $1 and still coming out ahead if I miss in those two tournaments.

The play is pretty terrible in the lowest stakes, always two to three guys playing 50% or more of their hands opening and usually at least one of them will eliminate some of the better players with bad beats. Last night I played in one where a guy played 90% of the hands dealt to him and busted 4 players by himself. I literally folded every hand I was dealt and easily cashed.

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for moving up I am trying to get my bankroll up to $500 before moving to $5 stakes because the play improves dramatically at even that jump. The worst players are easily exploitable on the $1 and $2 games but that changes at $5 and $10. Instead of getting action with your premium hands way ahead you end up getting a lot more flip situations late so the ROI dries up significantly.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the dons are playing easier on carbon after they removed the sng leaderboard and capped the amt of tables regs can play

madsquirrel

madsquirrel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you feel llike you are ready give it a shot, and if you keep getting backed into a corner at the tables every time meaning you are losing just go back to your regular comfortable limits and keep the bankroll steady

Salvete777

Salvete777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think 4.40, 5.50 is the best buy in's for next level.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
the dons are playing easier on carbon after they removed the sng leaderboard and capped the amt of tables regs can play

It certainly looks like it, I've noticed an increase in the number of players who simply have no clue. Things like calling down to the river, then folding with 200 chips left, or getting into a multiway all-in on the bubble.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It certainly looks like it, I've noticed an increase in the number of players who simply have no clue. Things like calling down to the river, then folding with 200 chips left, or getting into a multiway all-in on the bubble.
you sure this is true...ive never seen that kind of play exceot a few times...

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i play dons to build my br, but it's not my primary means. mtts are.
my roi is 3-5% on dons while 100+% on mtts. in other words, it's a realllllly slow way to build a br (for me anyway).

i use a VERY conservative brm because i'm still learning to handling my emotions as well as variance/downswings. that said, i started at $1 dons and once i built my br to 400 buy ins (majority through +roi +profit in mtts), i started to mix in $2 dons. for me the level of players didn't change because i'm confident in my game at microstakes. however, i (still) cringe at the fact that i can lose $150 (30 $5bi) vs $60 (30 $2 bi) vs $30 (30 $1 bi) on a bad downswing for me. i now play $2 dons comfortably. i have the br to go up to $5, but again, i'm very conservative bc i know how emotional i can get with bad beats/variance.

wagon596

wagon596

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I mainly play the DON's at the $2.20 tables,,, every once in awhile I'll play the $5.50...I'm a micro stakes grinder, have no need to go up on the stakes because then I'd be playing on "scared" money...

N

nativebar

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Double or nothing are the best ways to quickly build a bankroll, this requires in play as possible. With $ 125 you can mix the 2.2 and 5.5

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you sure this is true...ive never seen that kind of play exceot a few times...

It's definitely true at the micro stakes. I see crazy things all the time. People popping a dry pot when there is a player up for elimination 6 handed, people entering multi way all ins with less than 7 players at the table. People playing over 80% of their hands.

Play at the micro stakes DoNs is pretty terrible.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

i use a VERY conservative brm because i'm still learning to handling my emotions as well as variance/downswings. i have the br to go up to $5, but again, i'm very conservative bc i know how emotional i can get with bad beats/variance.

I was just telling someone else this morning how much your game has picked up, Nick, since you have focused your efforts on emotional control, and I was glad to see this post from you so I could give you a "two paws up" and a "well done, sir".

~

Agree with Te, DON's are especially soft at Carbon, and many of us have built some nice bankrolls there accordingly.

I've also heard the same of Bovada's "triple or nothings", but I've not given those a go yet.

Wish you success, OP.

goaldriversv

goaldriversv

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was just telling someone else this morning how much your game has picked up, Nick, since you have focused your efforts on emotional control, and I was glad to see this post from you so I could give you a "two paws up" and a "well done, sir".
thanks bear. this forum especially you have improved my game an immeasurable amount when it comes to handling emotion. i've come to realize that a lot of my emotion stems from my competitiveness. however, that's certainly no excuse. i need to continue to let it go when it comes to poker and really everything. there really is no use getting emotional about poker. it's silly to think about, but it's hard to overcome my competitiveness. i remember bad beats (AND bad plays i've made) for a really long time, but i rarely recall when i win or suck out. i'm a really bad loser even in real life especially when it comes to tennis. it's actually quite sad to see a man in his early 30's get emotional (mostly verbal) on the court when there's no money (except pride) on the line. it's part immaturity as well (or perhaps all lol). baby steps...

your attitude on and off the felts is truly something i remind myself about whenever i get online. i always remind myself what would bear do. seriously, i'm not joking. it's the type of attitude i want to have. an example i see quite often on this forum is when all those noobs ask stupidas questions about how to join a freeroll and how to get a password. your response to each one of those amazes me. i don't have that kind of patience for stupidity, but i know patience is a virtue. you're a unique one bear...in a good way and i have tons more to learn in poker both skill wise and on handling emotion/variance. thanks for the continued help and support.

EDIT: didn't mean to hijack your thread, op

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks bear. this forum especially you have improved my game an immeasurable amount when it comes to handling emotion. i've come to realize that a lot of my emotion stems from my competitiveness. however, that's certainly no excuse. i need to continue to let it go when it comes to poker and really everything. there really is no use getting emotional about poker. it's silly to think about, but it's hard to overcome my competitiveness. i remember bad beats (AND bad plays i've made) for a really long time, but i rarely recall when i win or suck out. i'm a really bad loser even in real life especially when it comes to tennis. it's actually quite sad to see a man in his early 30's get emotional (mostly verbal) on the court when there's no money (except pride) on the line. it's part immaturity as well (or perhaps all lol). baby steps...

your attitude on and off the felts is truly something i remind myself about whenever i get online. i always remind myself what would bear do. seriously, i'm not joking. it's the type of attitude i want to have. an example i see quite often on this forum is when all those noobs ask stupidas questions about how to join a freeroll and how to get a password. your response to each one of those amazes me. i don't have that kind of patience for stupidity, but i know patience is a virtue. you're a unique one bear...in a good way and i have tons more to learn in poker both skill wise and on handling emotion/variance. thanks for the continued help and support.

EDIT: didn't mean to hijack your thread, op

Thanks Nick. That means a lot to me. You're a really great player, and I've learned a lot just by watching you.

I understand the drive for competitiveness, but I try my best to just remember that there will always be another game, another game, another hand, another hand... and if we are so focused on the win and the trophy at the end, we are completely missing the moment-to-moment experience.

I'm glad that you are learning to control your emotional demons; it certainly is reflective in your play as of late.

Continued success to you, my friend, and I hope to see you in League this autumn. You would be an asset to any team.

BigSlickBaby

BigSlickBaby

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually just started playing tournaments about a week ago and I'm already doing what some of you are: Playing in DONs and using the profits to buy into different kinds of MTT's and STT's. R/A's, Bounty's, Standard 6 and 10 max sit and go's, etc.

I'm a micros player and just trying to build up a few rolls on different sites but so far this has been exponentially more profitable for me than grinding the cash games.

counts24

counts24

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played them all

Carbon or Merge does have a high rake for SNG's. Oh well, if you are a fan and find the right game it's still worth it. My experience is it's more about the game you choose than the methodology. I personally have found that there is one game that I can finish in the money 75% of the time but it would take me years to get rich playing it. I don't have the patience to stick to one thing or even less than three games at a time. There is money to be had if just spend some time looking for that soft spot.

newbie in training

newbie in training

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Carbon or Merge does have a high rake for SNG's. Oh well, if you are a fan and find the right game it's still worth it. My experience is it's more about the game you choose than the methodology. I personally have found that there is one game that I can finish in the money 75% of the time but it would take me years to get rich playing it. I don't have the patience to stick to one thing or even less than three games at a time. There is money to be had if just spend some time looking for that soft spot.
just saying black chip poker i think is 1.50 don and the rake is 12c or a lot cheaper than carbon

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes its hard to get rich playing$2 dons, but rakeback and multitabling can help increase $/hr

also they can be a very easy way to fill your monitor

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
This kind of play is typical in these:

7 handed, blinds are 60/120.

Cutoff ($1532) limps.

I have $1195 and shove :ac4::ah4: on the button.

SB ($1505) calls with :kc4::jh4: and so does the limper with :9s4::8s4:.....these guys are paying absolutely zero attention to stack sizes. I figured that the loose cutoff would probably call but I was stunned to see the SB call with that.

In another game we were also 7-handed, it was folded around to the SB with ~8BB and he min-raised, I shoved :js4::jh4: in the BB with 10BB and he snap-calls for his whole stack with :jd4::10s4:.....:confused:

I think a good indicator of how much softer these games have gotten is the fact that they rarely last long enough now to get into high blinds. I remember seeing these get up to 300/600 fairly regularly in the past but now it's rare to see them get past 100/200.

Last edited: