DoN shortstacked

thunder1276

thunder1276

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there much discussion of DoNs on this site? There is almost nothing at 2+2 so I am hoping there is more here.

Merge - $0+$0|<> NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 12.88 BB (VPIP: 16.86, PFR: 6.77, 3Bet Preflop: 3.08, hands: 783)
BB: 8.22 BB (VPIP: 11.82, PFR: 9.45, 3Bet Preflop: 2.81, Hands: 11,509)
UTG: 7.6 BB (VPIP: 9.04, PFR: 6.38, 3Bet Preflop: 2.13, Hands: 508)
Hero (MP): 4.3 BB
CO: 14.86 BB (VPIP: 19.15, PFR: 9.94, 3Bet Preflop: 1.09, Hands: 726)
BTN: 12.15 BB (VPIP: 22.36, PFR: 3.87, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 163)

6 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.1 BB) Hero has Qc 7c

fold, Hero??

I have a very hard time knowing what to do when I get shortstacked in these games. On one hand, it is almost always a fold according to ICM. on the other, I am getting desperate for chips and if I wait much longer I am not going to have any fold equity. Take this hand. I am out of position with a subpar hand. ICM says to fold, but half my chips are about to be taken away from me. while I do not really want to push here, I typically look at it as cashing in my fold equity while I still have some. Is it right to push in spots like this? Should I be pushing any non total **** hand in this spot, or listen to ICM and take my chances with the blinds?

I think the biggest problem at this point is that my ICM odds are never going to get better. I am going to keep getting pushed farther out of position and lose chips to the blinds in the process. WHen I do finally get into position, I am going to have no FE. This is why I am leaning towards a shove and pray that it gets trough. What do you think about this?

S

SeventhLion

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
though i am cash game player , i would go all with Q7s , you dont want get blinded out so you have to go with worse hands into coinflip

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sometimes you just have to gamble with these sorts of hands otherwise you will just get blinded out.

A

AvaloNNN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there much discussion of DoNs on this site? There is almost nothing at 2+2 so I am hoping there is more here.

Merge - $0+$0|<> NL - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

SB: 12.88 BB (VPIP: 16.86, PFR: 6.77, 3Bet Preflop: 3.08, Hands: 783)
BB: 8.22 BB (VPIP: 11.82, PFR: 9.45, 3Bet Preflop: 2.81, Hands: 11,509)
UTG: 7.6 BB (VPIP: 9.04, PFR: 6.38, 3Bet Preflop: 2.13, Hands: 508)
Hero (MP): 4.3 BB
CO: 14.86 BB (VPIP: 19.15, PFR: 9.94, 3Bet Preflop: 1.09, Hands: 726)
BTN: 12.15 BB (VPIP: 22.36, PFR: 3.87, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 163)

6 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.1 BB) Hero has Qc 7c

fold, Hero??

I have a very hard time knowing what to do when I get shortstacked in these games. On one hand, it is almost always a fold according to ICM. on the other, I am getting desperate for chips and if I wait much longer I am not going to have any fold equity. Take this hand. I am out of position with a subpar hand. ICM says to fold, but half my chips are about to be taken away from me. while I do not really want to push here, I typically look at it as cashing in my fold equity while I still have some. Is it right to push in spots like this? Should I be pushing any non total **** hand in this spot, or listen to ICM and take my chances with the blinds?

I think the biggest problem at this point is that my ICM odds are never going to get better. I am going to keep getting pushed farther out of position and lose chips to the blinds in the process. WHen I do finally get into position, I am going to have no FE. This is why I am leaning towards a shove and pray that it gets trough. What do you think about this?

I need more information to give you the right answer.

Also If you use an ICM software program like SNG Wizard or ICMIZER, You can't always listen to them, and they will probably tell you to fold in these situations, because they don't take into consideration your future fold equity once the blinds reach you and cripple your stack even more.

So i like to partially use ICM software suggestions and to add my own judgment in any given situation.

And you said you have a very hard time knowing what to do when you get shortstacked.
Well, one simple and quick tip:
Don't get shortstacked, never, ever. Use your fold equity whenever you can and don't fall into red zone. Keeping a decent stack and fold equity in DoN is everything.
DoN is all about survival, fold equity and increased but selective aggression when you get close to the bubble.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't play DON but I'm assuming this is 10 player and top 5 win? We're currently 6/6.

If that's the case, I don't think we should be shoving. Again though, I could be totally wrong

M

mmjens

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in don's it all about stack size and weather or not the table is tight with 6 players left because if your stack is big enough at a very tight table shoving if it a lose table with somebody calling all raises then it might not work also short stacked sometimes you just have to chance it and move on to the next game if it doesn't work out