Does anyone add repetition to there poker learning?

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If so how effective do you find this?
There is so much information out there either from books or from learning online. That once we have read or watched something we naturally move on to something else.

For example since this year I've been revisiting read books and articles and watching the same video's/ writing down information just to consolidate as much important knowledge as possible so it comes as second nature when making a decision to run through a more effective thought process.

I found (as you can expect) there are so many benifits when watching poker and learning - revisiting to maximise your gain from whatever you choose to study. this year feel alot more organised consistantly and generally sharper and more exploitive.
You could argue that would come anyway with practice but I'm not sure

L

locha2013

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's strange for me to decide how to play after reading some advices, i have read that i have to fold many hands, but I think when the blinds are at the beginning it's better to take a look at the flop before folding. So I read recommendations with pleasure, but not often play like they say it.
I keep the advices in mind and when I'm not sure how to act I try to play like the best method is, but it not really suits my playing style.
Often I play intuitevly like my first thinking is!

R

RNG

Enthusiast
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I have on occasion with watching old episodes of poker whether its the wsop or high stakes cash game. I try to see what the trends were back then to how it is now and find something that worked well years back and can work in todays game. The game is always changing so you have to stay on top of it. I think revisting old stuff can be helpful but a lot of things might not help as much ad actually playing.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read all 3 harrington books twice. The first time I read them I learned SOOO much I couldn't even believe it. When I went back a couple years later and re-read them I swear I learned even more than I learned the first time....my perspective was just sooo different.

I've also read "Gus Hansen: Every hand revealed" twice. It is such an easy read and a page turner. He explains pretty much the polar opposite style to my play and it is such useful information for me to see how the "other side" is thinking through a hand...

M

Misdir

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you find that after reading a particular book and a certain style that you go online and try to play that certain way, your game changes and sometimes gets worse, for awhile but after you incorporate it all and add it to other readings, maybe it improves. It seems the more I read and study-- I become a stranger to my own game at times.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you find that after reading a particular book and a certain style that you go online and try to play that certain way, your game changes and sometimes gets worse, for awhile but after you incorporate it all and add it to other readings, maybe it improves. It seems the more I read and study-- I become a stranger to my own game at times.

I totally identify with that!

pretty much every time I learn something new through a book, tutorial, course, coaching session etc my game temporarily suffers. then, as I adjust and start to balance out the new skillset with all the other stuff I've learned over the years eventually my game improves.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I totally identify with that!

pretty much every time I learn something new through a book, tutorial, course, coaching session etc my game temporarily suffers. then, as I adjust and start to balance out the new skillset with all the other stuff I've learned over the years eventually my game improves.

I had this problem, we can take what a book says as an example too literate and if your watching different players or reading diff books at can mix things up and potentially effect your game.

I think now Im happy with my style of play and the knowledge is what I crave different inputs and views all combined to give like an ultimate complexity to the perception of the game.

Like I know I will always play accordingly to the table and take a tactical approach, so thats cool. But having that expert knowledge will support having success

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've read HoH tourney editions at least 3 times now, and each time is like reading it new.

While much of the info in it is old, and styles have changed, I am currently re-reading Super Systems, again, it reads as if new.

poker books seem unique in this way. Once you learn Algebra, it internalizes fast. Once you read a History book, it does whatever history info does (it did not internalize for me).

But poker books are different. The first read thru, we seem to glom onto stuff we think we know, reinforcing it or learning that we were wrong and thus re-evaluating our thinking. We tend to nitpick stuff on the firsts go thru, and miss stuff that is important.

The good books are the ones that make us think and re-evaluate. They may seem outdated, but only because styles overall have evolved. Often they have evolved to the point where old styles can become new styles again.

On many occasions, when I have to internalize some particular action, I will do it at play tables, where I can do it over and over and over till it becomes 2nd nature.

So, yes, revisiting old info is more useful than most of us want to admit.

Bowman26

Bowman26

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am all for reading and taking helpful information as all games have some different take that you might get some gem to use in your play. Plus it is just fun to read about things we enjoy doing and learning more about it.

It is good to revisit the basics and fundamentals of poker now and then to make sure you aren't becoming to maniacal. Just like Pro Ball teams have to drill fundamentals even though they have done it all their lives. So looking back to re-visit past reads or notes is always a good thing, Poker by its nature is never the same time after time only similar in situations and knowing how it went down last time helps next time.

I like to use the time I play that I am not in a hand online to watch the action and try to range players cards based on the board etc and how they play them. Ranging people is so damn hard online because people are either decent lunatics or just bad players all together so trying to put them on a well versed poker players potential hands is damn near impossible. This is a part of the game you can read about but you actually have to do fairly well to be successful and it is harder online than live. This helps get my mind clicking in poker gear as well for when I am in a hand and need to make decisions versus certain players. If I have an idea of how they played a few similar hands with others earlier I can use that to help me make my decisions.

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's definitely necessary to double check the stuff we read, because with the time we tend to forget some things or we tend to take them for granted. I quit for a little while (almost a couple of years) and now i am back, I noticed that ive got several strategical leaks which i had fixed in the past (reading books, forum, ect ) Kinda of forgotten.

Find below a very nice statement stated by one of the most skilled Italian HU and 6max CG player (admin and top poster in the Italian poker community where i usually lurk and write) which says:

Exists the risk of a pendulum mechanism with the new techniques, in before u were not doing it enough, now that you know it, you certainly doing it too much.
You have to incorporate the technology in your game but you let it flow, free, when your subconscious knows it's right and not when you dictate it to yourself or when somebody suggest to you-
quote by Lucio Martelli aka Luciom

It works on reverse respect the point stated by op :D but imho it's so interesting.

I apologize coz I've just translated it from Italian so it may be not that clear or contain mistakes (plz if any native En speaker can correct errors I will appreciate that).

I hope u enjoy

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's definitely necessary to double check the stuff we read, because with the time we tend to forget some things or we tend to take them for granted. I quit for a little while (almost a couple of years) and now i am back, I noticed that ive got several strategical leaks which i had fixed in the past (reading books, forum, ect ) Kinda of forgotten.

Find below a very nice statement stated by one of the most skilled Italian HU and 6max CG player (admin and top poster in the Italian poker community where i usually lurk and write) which says:

Exists the risk of a pendulum mechanism with the new techniques, in before u were not doing it enough, now that you know it, you certainly doing it too much.
You have to incorporate the technology in your game but you let it flow, free, when your subconscious knows it's right and not when you dictate it to yourself or when somebody suggest to you-
quote by Lucio Martelli aka Luciom

It works on reverse respect the point stated by op :D but imho it's so interesting.

I apologize coz I've just translated it from Italian so it may be not that clear or contain mistakes (plz if any native En speaker can correct errors I will appreciate that).

I hope u enjoy

It is interesting though, its like I imagine how much better players would be if they did training drills for the core fundementals (most important concept to keep sharp) it would become so fluent it would just be instatanious reaction...
ofcourse the more tables they play will also make a difference but I still think there is alot to be gained from tighting up your game on a dailly basis going real deep in analysis to find a leak, and keep practicing that one observational exploit until it becomes second nature - I think this would really bring a player to the next level