Do you go all in when you hit a set ?

Fortmax

Fortmax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a live tournament last night at the Bike here in So Cal.
SB= 75
BB= 150
Player A = 12,000 chips
Player B= 8,000 chips
Me = 21,000 chips
Player A = is the last to act he has :ah4: :jh4:
Player B= is the second one to act he has :qh4: :7h4:
Me = i'm under the gun & i have :ad4: :3s4:

The flop is :3d4: :3h4::8h4:
I bet 1750 chips Player A called & player B called,the turn is :2h4: ,i bet 3000 chips ,Player A went all in ,Player B called & i called , River is :7s4: .
I dont know if i bet too small thats why he called me,amazing both Player A & B were both on a draw and still not concern about the pair on the board & a possibility of a full house.
Anyway i think i made a mistake on calling him ,this is the 3rd level on a 10 K guaranteed every afternoon live tournament.
Please give me an advise here ! Thanks guys.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you're asking if you should always call an all-in with a flopped set even when you know or should know you're behind. If you can get it in on the flop then sure but you can't just go off like that when the 3rd heart turns and definitely not after the second player calls the shove. Unless of course you're in a hurry to leave.

LCDaBoss

LCDaBoss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he may be asking should he have went all-in right after the flop and he had a set, at least this is the question I have because too often I let people catch up when I have a set on the flop. Actually happened to me in a tourney earlier.

Can't really tell if your bet is too small because people will need to know pre flop action to know the pot size. If I'm correct at'least half the pot is the correct bet with a good hand.

Demonomania

Demonomania

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's trips btw.. not a set.

dirtyoldog

dirtyoldog

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
way to double up you bet agresively on the flop which you should they called and hit on the turn then they go all in and you call then hit the house dont ya love this game seems like the bad moves get the rewards huh?

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all you had no buisiness in that hand.

A3o utg is a hand you should be sending to the muck.

Also I presume you limped it (although you didn't say so) - stop doing that, especially with easily dominated hands in early positions.

Finally you made trips and not a set.

way to double up you bet agresively on the flop which you should they called and hit on the turn then they go all in and you call then hit the house dont ya love this game seems like the bad moves get the rewards huh?

Hero has trip 3s otr, player A a nutflush and player B a queen high flush - no one has a full house.

K

kmbpoker

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
2 flushed flop always spell trouble . if you were watching the players instead of the flop you might have seen their eyes pop out or something to let you know they liked the flop.at pushing on the flop might not have lost the nut flush draw but your calling the turn with a push an call was clearly a mistake. you were only looking at your cards and not considering their holdings. for all you know you could have been drawingdead to pocket 8s and were surely drawing to beat a flush. my own opinion is you shouldnt be donking around with ace 3 anyway, your just begging for trouble and got it

shadow451

shadow451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have folded. You didn't belong in this hand in the first place. Playing an A3 off in your position will cost you alot more than this hand won you in the long run.

OpenTheCan

OpenTheCan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Shadow. You should have folded that hand when you saw Ace rag. And since you were in the hand and 2 people before you went all in after the turn was a 3rd heart on the board, fold fold fold and live to fight another day. Question.... How long have you been playing poker?

Fortmax

Fortmax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate all of you guys who responded to this thread ,you guys were absolutely right that i should mucked my ACE - rugs under the gun but since i have the most chips in that table i was so overconfident that i can win that hand.
Lessons learned, i have been playing live tournament for almost 1 year but i only play ONCE A WEEK.
Last month i was able to be in the final table in those 10 K guaranteed afternoon tournament at the bike and i hope i will learn more thru playing live & studying.
Thanks again,this FORUM ROCKS because of helpful members.:cool:

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
fold pre
flop bet good
fold turn against 2ppl shoving

kidkvno1