Dilemma - 3.30$ buy in - 60 max

UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-hands/Boom/6394111_9B7C4D249B

OK. This is the hand, I would say pretty standard BUT a friend of mine said that I have played this hand complete wrong and in his opinion I should have raised 4-6 BB pre.
I think that I got away with less casualties than I could have if I had raised 4-6 BB or shoved simply because if a short stack 3-bets me all in I am basically committed to call him.
I would like to know your opinions and what's the better play standard 3 BB or 4-6 BB.

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can't view the hand as I am at work, however is your friend primarily a live cash game player perhaps? 4-6bb open raise would be more suited in such a field at the 200nl level.

In tournies 4-6bb is a big raise, unless you have limpers in front of you which of course you should be adjusting for, and blind sizes etc (all the info i would have if could look at boom). Again can't look at boom's from work but just couple of thoughts in general.

UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's what I thought bluff. Thank you for sharing your OP. I don't have HuD but I will try to convert it for you:
Blinds 50/100 - 5 handed
fold, Hero (~47 BB) 3x BB raise with JJ, V (~52 BB) call , fold , call (~13 BB)
so 3 handed on the flop (950) 6s 4h As
the BB checks, I check and the V bets 500, fold, fold

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shouldn't have checked the flop IMO. Yes it is very possible one or both players may have continued with an A but you shouldn't instafear the A on the flop and put out a 6-7bb c-bet, at this point obv if you get raised have to give cred usually for the A but shouldn't have given up without some attempt.

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your friend is an idiot I would generally be opening smaller of anything but 3x is fine

I open smaller because I would want to be playing a wider ranger in CO so giving myself a better price on steals

Could bet larger if I know people are mega stations but default it's fine

Why in the world do you not cbet like 40% the pot ?

UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have usually done the same thing u said (maybe a little bit different) like check-call but the thing is I know he is not gonna bet me without anything and I put him on Ax like A5 or smth. I just wanted to know if the pre-flop action is correct. Thank you very much !

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can opening jacks in the CO be wrong? Shove allin is profitable, doesn't mean it is optimal

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's opponent-dependent, but I prefer betting the flop to checking. Sure, either opponent might have an A. But from their perspectives, whether they have one or not, so can you. And since you're the original raiser, they're likely to think that if you do have one, you also have a decent kicker. Also, the fact that both just called pre- reduces the probability that they have a big A because if either did, he might have found a 4bet.

In addition, what if you still have the best hand? Betting seems pretty likely to win the pot whereas checking makes it quite easy for the BB to win it by betting with anything.

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I actually agree with your friend. I'm not a big fan of +4xBB opens unless you are on a table that generally opens heavy. HOWEVER, in this situation you are looking at:

1) One guy who's likely to call relatively light considering his stack and position.
2) One guy who's fairly likely to push on the flop, and likely to gamble any half decent ace since position doesn't matter so much when you are pot committed. In other words, he's in, or he's out.

In this board, in that position, with that hand, I'd say your options are either:

A) Limp and go set mining with a little extra equity. Here you would essentially be looking to bet your 3xBB as a defensive bet to get an extra card or maybe get a table fold.
B) Bet very hard looking to steal and have equity against the small stack who will make a polarized call on any playable hand. He has enough stack to try to hold onto it.

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK as it has been said your friend is an idiot 4-6 BB is totally ridiculous 2-3bb open here is totally fine!
I would like to see you bet 350-450 on the flop it doesn't need to be any more than that! Your bet has many pro's to it:
You don't give away a free card to 2 opponents if they have worse hands
You are the pre flop aggressor so it makes perfect sense for them to assume you have hit the Ace
You can make worse hands fold not often at this level but a strange trap with QQ and KK can fold and small Ax's may just assume you have hit (not often however)
You can still hit a J on a future street if your C bet is called which unless you don't fill up against a flush (unlikely scenario but you do not hold the J of Spades) you should win a hefty pot!
You balance your C betting range
I am sure there are more but that should be enough reasons to do it!

My question is i saw these $3.30 6 max 60 caps and they are blue are these some sort of beta tournaments if so are they going to start having 6 max MTT SNG's? If so yay!!

UnNa7uRal

UnNa7uRal

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
@Weissound - If I make 4-6 BB I basically scream that I have big pairs so that would make them fold. However we are not that deep in the tournament so the antes/blinds aren't so high. Thus I want to trap someone as I did a few hands later (had JJ, the same situation but with no overpairs on the flop and doubled up from a fish).
@bushy_lufc - I think they are beta but I have no idea if they are gonna do as you said.
Thanks everyone for replying. Lesson learned! I still think my pre-flop action is correct and next time I will deffo c-bet !

S

Skidis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that the preflop play is great, but I would have bet the flop (as someone already said) :) Good luck at the tables!