did i play this wrong?

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand#27429BBE7F000032 - $5 Heads-up NL Hold'em Turbo T10206847 -- Table 1 -- 0/15/30 NL Hold'em -- 2011/10/08 - 17:28:29
Seat 3: blikbleek (1,430 in chips)
Seat 8: vick***8 (1,570 in chips) DEALER
vick***8: posts small blind 15
blikbleek: posts big blind 30
Dealt to blikbleek [9d,9c]
vick***8: raises to 60
blikbleek: raises to 90
vick***8: calls 30
*** FLOP *** [7s,3h,Kc]
blikbleek: bets 180
vick***8: calls 180
*** TURN *** [9h]
blikbleek: bets 270
vick***8: calls 270
*** RIVER *** [Jh]
blikbleek: bets 540
vick***8 chats: you hit?
vick***8: is all in 1,030
blikbleek: is all in 350
vick***8: returns uncalled bet 140
blikbleek: shows [9d 9c]
vick***8: shows [8h Kh]
***SHOW DOWN***
vick***8 wins 2,860 with Flush King high
blikbleek finished 2 out of 2 players.

i think i played this ok, considering how people shove with any pair at this level. if i shoved on the turn he probably woulda called anyway.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Firstly, what is the point of that minraise pre OOP w 99? (terrible raise sizing).
Level1 HU Sng, I'm not typically 3betting OOP w sm & med. pr's. very often. I'm looking to play bigger pots while I have position & more often keeping them smaller while OOP. (in HU cash I'll 3bet sm-med. pp, but not Sng in early levels very often).

hint: when villain 'chats' & then rrai.... they've got!

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flatting pre is OKish but I usually make it 150-180. Min-reraise is indeed horrible.

The flop is awfully dry so they're either floating with A-high or they hit pretty hard. Bet the turn a lot bigger, they're not folding a K.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have probably shoved the turn before any draws get completed (actually maybe not, thought you were second to act, not first). I'd have probably bet just short of a pot sized bet on the turn then if you want to be nitty check/call river. What hand did you have him on out of interest?

Firstly, what is the point of that minraise pre OOP w 99? (terrible raise sizing).
Level1 HU Sng, I'm not typically 3betting OOP w sm & med. pr's. very often. I'm looking to play bigger pots while I have position & more often keeping them smaller while OOP. (in HU cash I'll 3bet sm-med. pp, but not Sng in early levels very often).

hint: when villain 'chats' & then rrai.... they've got!

Depends how OP plays, if he min raises every hand pre then its fine. as it leaves villian guessing.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he min-raises every hand pre it's NOT fine, unless villain folds to min 3-bets, which no one ever does. It's fishtastic as it accomplishes nothing except give villain odds to call in position.

blikbleek

blikbleek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd have probably shoved the turn before any draws get completed (actually maybe not, thought you were second to act, not first). I'd have probably bet just short of a pot sized bet on the turn then if you want to be nitty check/call river. What hand did you have him on out of interest?

Depends how OP plays, if he min raises every hand pre then its fine. as it leaves villian guessing.

ive been playing real aggressive against this particular player. this guy is super conservative. he folds a ton of hands pre. i have him beat majority of our matches.

but anyway, when he called turn i knew he had k-x. when he shoved the river, i was pretty sure he had the flush. in a donk move i didnt wanna give up my hand. this guy is also known to tilt pretty bad during matches. ive seen him shove with awful hands.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not check the turn. 3 of a kind is a strong hand with that drawless flop. Check the turn. If he hits runner runner on you so beit. Check/raise all in if he bets turn; Let him bet into you on river if it scares you, raise if not. Its still a manageable pot if he hits flush. 6 of his outs would still give you the nuts(7h,Kd,ks,xs,xc,xd) with good implied odds. No way he floated straight draw with out an ace. If he had two pair, hes betting turn and your taking his stack. To big of a bet on turn because he wouldn't call with less and now you face tough decision on river.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why not check the turn.

Because we want to win money. Bet your own hand, fish. Anyone who says people don't float with A-high or less in this spot has never played HU.

B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
no way he floated a straight draw with out an ace like 10q 10j

Last edited:
B

buster999

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he floated a10 AQ AJ there are no straight possibilities on that turn

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've seen people float with T7o in a 3-bet pot on a A44r board, JT can be the nuts here. A ton of people use the rule of thumb in HU that you just ignore the top card on the flop so A7 would be like TPTK, Kx is like an overpair, etc. I guarantee absolutely no one folds JJ/QQ on the flop or turn.

Whether or not he has or can have a straight draw is pretty irrelevant anyway, we have a set in a 3-bet pot and we need to get stacks in.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he min-raises every hand pre it's NOT fine, unless villain folds to min 3-bets, which no one ever does. It's fishtastic as it accomplishes nothing except give villain odds to call in position.

I meant every hand pre from the small blind, obviously not from BB as you're not doing it out of position.. I min-raise every hand I get from the SB as it then gives me the odds to put in a bet 2xBB on any flop and make it a profitable play as well as them never knowing where they stand, the tactic is fine.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course minraising from the Button is fine, what you're describing is totally standard. It's the min 3-bet that is not.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course minraising from the Button is fine, what you're describing is totally standard. It's the min 3-bet that is not.

I never meant min 3-bet though. I was replying to a poster that said he shouldn't be min raising with 99 which is why I didn't specify that it was only fine in position as hero is in position. Just a misunderstanding.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea dont really like the min raise either , what you trying to acomplish with it?
I probably 3bet this to about 150 , although call seems ok also
the flop bet seems fine to me , you probably have best hand and your betting for value
turn the bet way too small, yes you hit your set so lets get paid, if villain has a K hes never folding , if hes got mid to low pair , hes probably still not folding , if hes picked up a flush draw hes probably calling. If hes got air than your probably not going to get paid regadless.
Another thing to remember is that just because you have a good hand on the turn doesnt mean its going to be so good on the river, so you must protect it. Charge the draws, even though you gave the draws the wrong odds to call , when they consider implied odds they have a marginal call here. A fishy villain will pay way too much so get value from this hand.
Im betting 3/4 or pot here , shove seems ok as well.