Defending your blind in tournaments

T

torosanti012

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, are there any tips in defending your blinds at different stages in tournaments, I usually just defend with a range of cards depending to the raise-size but usually with min-raises and playing 2 handed my range increases widely (this is because i feel more comfortable playing heads up), is this a good way to go about it? or is there other aspects i should look at other than stack sizes and player image? thanks

wanderingthehall

wanderingthehall

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important factor is how often the villain is trying to steal. If it's frequent enough, I call with any mid-range hand and re-raise with the better part of my range. You don't need to play back much to get a blind stealer to treat you much more cautiously.

warturtle7

warturtle7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also the stack size is important, because the opponent who raised will almost 50 % of the time cbet bluff on the flop and check on the turn. So having the chips to call the cbet with the intetion to float on the turn or river is important

T

torosanti012

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also the stack size is important, because the opponent who raised will almost 50 % of the time cbet bluff on the flop and check on the turn. So having the chips to call the cbet with the intetion to float on the turn or river is important

I really like this point, it's always good to have a good chip count behind cards with show down value as you can call a lot more and not forced to fold or raise.

T

torosanti012

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most important factor is how often the villain is trying to steal. If it's frequent enough, I call with any mid-range hand and re-raise with the better part of my range. You don't need to play back much to get a blind stealer to treat you much more cautiously.

yes you're right, my range opens widely when the small blind tries to steal as it's a lot better to defend the blind in position. plus by having a big stack size like the wartortle guy said is a key factor as it means you aren't gonna bullied as much and be forced into folding hands with showdown value. Thanks a lot.