Deep in tourney

amxvulcan

amxvulcan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find I can get deep into tournaments, into the money and top 20 or 30 when there are 500 or 1000, but cannot make final tables or actually win one. Not always, but sometimes. Any suggestions on how to get over the hump and maybe win one?

K

kefir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have the same issue. Trying to overcome it by detailed analysis of my exit hands. And the thing is basically 100% of the time I exit because of the dumb play on my part. Heavy frustrating. Post some of your exit hands here. May be then you will see a common denominator between them and be able to eliminate it.

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
with out some specific instances its tough to say. i would think lack of experience and over excitement are playing roles. getting deep into unknown territory and the want to win is probably causing you to tighten up with lack of cards you are comfortable playing and extra pressure from blinds culminating in an early exit

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A couple of things come to mind that I've seen repeatedly over the years. One is players who tend to have below-average stacks when they get into the late stages. The way to address this is to put somewhat more emphasis on chip accumulation / stack maintenance during the middle stages, and somewhat less on surviving. This doesn't mean going crazy, just shifting the balance of emphasis enough to have more chips when you get deep.

The other is working on your short-handed game. To win an MTT, you have to play down from full tales to HU. Since most of the final table is played with less than the full number of seats, being able to adapt to the shrinking table sizes is obviously important.

R

Raisindepth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The first time I won quite a tournament online I wassnt busy with much else then my table and the hands yo play. Next door neighbor got a visit from the squat team that kept me off my game I guess. After 7 hours of play we where on the final table bubble and I didn't even noticed we where on the f.t. untill I knocked out the first player and the first fish was whining about a deal (haha)
As I saw some kind of mechanic to repair the neighbors door I was off set again and knocked out one after one and made a deal with 3. No tentions after that and ended up knocking out everybody else and take it down.

So for me I have to not be busy with anything but my table, a smoke and maybe some stand-up comedy (because the police won't drop in every time I play) just forget that prize it's fun and nice but let that bomb drop when you click the table away and Open your account balance :)

Good luck and finishing 20 out of 1000 is not bad at all!

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, those are good results, now the key is just to manage a bankroll where you can afford tourneys where top 20 out of 1000 is significant payout and maybe you bink one. The trouble Im having lately is when I get it in with KK on a Q high board and Im up against AQ and 9 4 off the 9 4 hand turns two pair.... Sometimes results are no indication of whether you are playing well..... My solution is to keep making the best decisions and sometimes taking a week off, golfing working on the yard and watching baseball playoffs. Poker isn't going anywhere, there will be a game the next time I want to play

LuckyBundy13

LuckyBundy13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Reviewing your hand history is definitely something you should do. Also, try playing more sng's so that when you do get deep, you're not a fish out of water. Good luck!

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should already be happy if you can reach top 20-30 at a 500-1000 entrants.

T

thechamps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find I can get deep into tournaments, into the money and top 20 or 30 when there are 500 or 1000, but cannot make final tables or actually win one. Not always, but sometimes. Any suggestions on how to get over the hump and maybe win one?
I have asked that same question in forums and one reply that stuck with me was you have to battle more. He went on to say that tournaments are like war you have to win the battles to win the war, and how are you going to win the battles if you don't get into them? Seek out weaker players and pick on them early in the tourney when your in a good spot to do so. You need chips to play deeper in the tournaments.

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should already be happy if you can reach top 20-30 at a 500-1000 entrants.

That will be a disappointment to many because the real payouts starts at the final table. Especially when this happens to you consistently it think it would be an even more of a disappointment.:motz:

@amxvulcan - am sure you would have gained valuable lessons from such consistent disappointing experiences and am sure it will only help you make better decisions when you encounter similar situations in future.:rock:

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the middle or late phase,the antes and blinds are worth enough

to make a steal.Just observe the table dynamic and use your position

to punish the limper or make a steal against weaker player.

B

blobman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I chip lead a 49 person $0.40 buy in tournament last night after like three hands after winning a 3-way all-in 60/40 in my favor super-early and then sucking out on another all-in. But then I lost two flips and was out 30/49.

S

scooba13

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) Play more tournaments. If you're already getting into the top 5-10% on any kind of a regular basis it's just a matter of time

2) Review your tournamant results - what is generally happening to your stack? What kind of variance are you seeing? This will help you figure out whether you are playing too tight or too loose at various stages of the game.

3) Make sure you are attempting to steal the blinds enough - enough is somewhat determined by the aggressiveness of the other players - if they are super aggressive you'll just have to take some carefully timed shots and be prepared to push light. If they are passive stealing is easy. Aim to pick up the blinds 1.1-1.5 times per orbit.

4) Assuming you are reaching high blinds - review your push/fold game - check out push/fold tables and make sure you can pull the trigger when the math says you ought to.

D

DrHorrible

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The biggest adjustment (as someone mentioned) when you get late into tournaments is that the table size fluctuates between full and down to 5 and 7 players as the field condenses.

You must adjust your play accordingly to table size to take full advantage of your chipstack relative to your position.

Mylobox

Mylobox

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it is hard to fold good hands deep in the tourney like AQ or AJ when you see 458 on the flop but when i folded those hands, i was very lucky and don't loose a lot of my stack

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Its fine , if this deep stack and reg speed , not so much will be the finals, I think 1000 tournament only 20-30 times.. And so it is better to work on push/fold and steal...

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other is working on your short-handed game. To win an MTT, you have to play down from full tales to HU. Since most of the final table is played with less than the full number of seats, being able to adapt to the shrinking table sizes is obviously important.

^^this^^

short handed play used to be a real weakness of mine (It still is, but I'm getting much better). I'd frequently do well in a tourney and get down to final 2 or 3 tables but fail to make the final table.

EVERYONE who ever made a final table had to play 5 or 6 handed at some point. And the game goes REALLY quick 5 handed especially when stacks are shallow.

J

johnsonmad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting deep in tourneys

The same thing happens to me. I play great in the beginning and even in the middle sometimes then when it comes to the end of the tourney I finish short of where I want to be. When I come close to making the money/prizes I seem to hold back to make sure I make it to the minimum money. I sometimes fold great cards because I don't want to risk my chances. Then, I see myself well behind in chip count.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe you are putting overwhelming pressure in get your money back instead of winning at late stages, then you finish risking less and leave the table to more ambitious players who steal blinds and chips from tight passive players (and surviving players as well) while your stack is dwindling while surfing to itm

perhaps you need to enter tourneys with lower buyins so you can forget about little money while focus in final tables

anyway your results are outstandings making top 20 out 1k frequently, so i think you are doing your game over average and dont need to change it, just wait for the variance to get into your side more often when approaching the finish line

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not so difficult if there are no problems with blinds, the blinds and if there are no problems then play tight in late position.