Deep stack turbo....

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know in poker patience is a must, however in these deep stack turbos i find that when im on a bad cards streak about an hour into the game, the blinds eat me alive. then i find myself in a bad spot with 4 or 5 bb left. Well it usually doesnt work out for the pot odds seem stacked against me. So anyone have advice for these type of tournaments?

K

kefir

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read somewhere what works for me:
> 20 BB I play my usual style, whatever it is

20BB >stack > 10BB I reraise any "halfhand" to allin if I have only one raiser before me. If I am first in the pot I put potsized bet with any "halfhand"

>10BB I shove when first in the pot with any halfhand but fold if there is a raiser before me.

halfhand= any suited connectors+any hand with both cards>=10

H

heavystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
YOU HAVE TO TRY AND GET AN EARLY JUMP IN THE TURBO EVENTS

R

revskip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with heavystack. You have to try and jump out to a chip lead early in turbos because the blinds move so quickly that you can go from a 20+ M to under 10 in just a couple of minutes in the middle levels. I tend to loosen up compared to how I would play a slower deepstacked tourney, take more shots and am not as upset at getting in a flip situation early. A quick double up is often enough to set you up to steal blinds later.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steal and steal some more. Patience shouldn't be part of your play in poker especially in tournaments and of course when blinds are getting bigger.

If you're finding yourself in the 5BB mark often, you're playing way to tight. You need to be opening shoving many orbits before.

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should never be finding yourself with 4-5 bb in a turbo unless thats just what you have left after losing a hand. maintain some fold equity and you better tighten up your push/fold game if you wanna play turbos. this game is not always about cards

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should very seldom if ever have a 4-5bb stack unless that's what you were left with after doubling someone up. Allowing yourself to be blinded down to such a stack size is poor poker. You need to learn that barring unusual circumstances, the value of maintaining a more playable stack is greater than merely surviving a little longer by blinding down.

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All good advise thanks. I will certainly take note of all this next time

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I too had a similar situation I was playing tight on principles but when your hands are no longer going I began to play loose and often agresivno pushyl small stacks

madsquirrel

madsquirrel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to agree with heavystack you have to get in the turbos early on to start building your stack up and get through all the fish as well