Creative moves

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, without knowing the table dynamics, it is tough to say what the best play is. Here are some questions that come to mind. I am citing the link you posted and using that hand in the link (J9 suited).

Is this a cash game/S&G/MTT?
How are the stack sizes of your opponents? What is your stack size?
What is your table image?
Are people limp calling a raise or limp folding or limp shoving (if you decide to raise)

My thought here is, in the absence of more information, you are in position with a very playable hand, so folding is probably the third best option. Raising here might work some of the time, though I would want to see a cheap flop with this hand more often than not, so I am more inclined to just call most of the time. I would balance raising/calling here in position though so that you don't become too predictable though.

Last edited:
B

bojax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is nearly always a single play which has the highest expectation. The key is to make a plan and stick to it. If you think one play has a higher expectation than another, then you should make the play with the highest expectation 100% of the time.

P

pokrjoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alot of new players have fancy play syndrome. dont outplay yourself. i dont understand what you mean by "everytime i use a fancy play i lose"

when it comes to raising the button with limpers in the pot. you need to think about what they have been doing.. are they tight, loose, solid player, fish. there are numerous factors that going into deciding what action you wanna proceed with. first understand what you are doing and why you are doing it.
sample answer. im going to raise my button because the ;mpers in the hand have been folding to any pressure and i could add 12% to my stack if they fold. if they call i have position and if i flop well i could potentially ad x% to my stack

in short you need to know why you are doing what you are doing. dont just do something because i seen this play on tv or a books said its cool when you dont understand the dynamics behind any give play

hope that helps

P

pokerlogs_net

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Alot of new players have fancy play syndrome. dont outplay yourself. i dont understand what you mean by "everytime i use a fancy play i lose"

when it comes to raising the button with limpers in the pot. you need to think about what they have been doing.. are they tight, loose, solid player, fish. there are numerous factors that into deciding what action you wanna proceed with. first understand what you are doing and why you are doing it.
sample answer. im to raise my button because the ;mpers in the hand have been folding to any pressure and i could add 12% to my stack if they fold. if they call i have position and if i flop well i could potentially ad x% to my stack

in short you need to know why you are doing what you are doing. dont just do something because i seen this play on tv or a books said its cool when you dont understand the dynamics behind any give play

hope that helps

Thanks I like your answer it helped me to organize my thinking process.

STL FAN

STL FAN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From your post this reader has a question; are you looking for options or just trying to make money from fancy moves?

A player who is looking for results from certain position plays; this is hard to accomplish without experience and understanding of the players who act in front of them the majority of the time. Especially the two to the right of you; do they limp in worse hands than you? Do they slow play their hands pre-flop? Will they check-raise semi-bluff with worse hands or do they play straight forward on the flop, turn etc… ? This information takes time to gather. Once a player has this information and can understand how people play in certain situations without as much information and correctly identify the situation then creativity and fancy play can be profitable, but with the best information there is still no guarantee but you will be better prepared for surprises and can adjust your thinking according to the present situation. Until you have been in these exact situations over a period of time and the information about creativity is in your unconscious mind or “in your back pocket” can you see a difference in how profitable any fancy play is better than another.

The scenario of the J9s hand I would have the ability to play both sides of this with hands similar in this position to mix up play the advantage of putting in the raise of limpers pre flop has advantages but also playing in multi way pot is what J9s needs to help build a pot that most weaker players will over value one or two pair when you hit the flush. You do not play for the jack on the flop but have position and the proper understanding of each player; then experience of knowing are you ahead with the jack but this is player specific in these situations.

My rule of thumb is straights and flushes with hands that have kicker problems. Most in late position will limp in hands that have your kicker dominated and until you have this information play for straights and flushes if you miss fold cheaply. Semi-bluff on the flop when you hit the draw but only against people who are still drawing or have a weak made hand and again player specific; other situations pre-flop raise and narrow the field that will knock out the blinds if they have a tendency to fold and create a “dead money situation” that will help to keep you position absolute instead of relative if the blinds have a tendency to check-raise or put pressure on what looks like a position move. This is just some of the things this player has built up playing these and similar situations. Hope your day is going well and glad to have met you.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you're playing low limits then you shouldn't worry too much about how profitable it is. It's never a bad thing to stretch your wings a little. Just try it on for size and see how it works out. Worst case is you lose a bit of value but gain a bit of experience.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont think FPS(fancy play syndrome) is good unless you really have a good read on the villans

and at the lower stakes you are probably better just trying to go for value

another thing that may work is adjusting your bet size vs fish not fancy but they wont usually notice

suvorov17

suvorov17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Creative movesare good sometimes,but at a distance and at the lower limits to play better standard