Could you have gotten away????

S

stevertrmurray

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK I've been kicking myself over and over again since last night over the hand I'm about to discuss. My questions are.....should I have been able to get away from this hand and make a lay down and what did I miss..... There were 177 people left in PM#23. I'm sitting around 55th at the time and habve great momentum......I'm in BB and I get QQ......villain is UTG+1 and makes a pot size raise all others fold and I reraise by betting he pot....Villain flat calls. Flop comes 835 rainbow.....I raise pot hoping to take it down there.....villain flat calls.....turn card is another blank ( I don't remember what the card was but it was by no means a scare card) I raise again with a pot size bet and villain pushed all in. Th this point I'm putting villain on JJ or top top.....snap call....cards come over and he hit a set of 8's on flop. Because he didn't make an intial significant raise I never felt for one second he had an over pair and of course I was right on this. I'm quite sure if I push preflop he folds but I'm wanting to get max value and wanted a caller....but other than pushing pre where could I have id'd that he hit his set???? Opinions.....please!!!!

absoluthamm

absoluthamm

<==Poker Face
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You just overvalued your hand, you only have 1 pair. Preflop, fine, nothing extremely out of the ordinary there. Having the villain check-call a pot sized bet on the flop should send out alarms. The pot-sized bet is a little much anyway. He is going to fold many of the same hands with a 1/2 to 3/5's pot bet as he would to a pot sized, but you sacrificed more of your stack when you didn't have to. The pot sized bet on the turn is just blood money, you never should have bet there after the flat call from villain, and depending on pot odds, shouldn't have called the all-in.

If you push preflop he would/should obviously fold, but that would be the wrong move unless you're shorty

M

MIShroomer47

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You just overvalued your hand, you only have 1 pair. Preflop, fine, nothing extremely out of the ordinary there. Having the villain check-call a pot sized bet on the flop should send out alarms. The pot-sized bet is a little much anyway. He is going to fold many of the same hands with a 1/2 to 3/5's pot bet as he would to a pot sized, but you sacrificed more of your stack when you didn't have to. The pot sized bet on the turn is just blood money, you never should have bet there after the flat call from villain, and depending on pot odds, shouldn't have called the all-in. Sure is hard to get away from QQ though haha

If you push preflop he would/should obviously fold, but that would be the wrong move unless you're shorty

+1
Yeah you wanna get value for your hands with big bets, but like above poster said you just overplayed it. Can't tell you how many times I've done it, more than i realize. I've recently been working on that part of my game. ONE pair is not always worthy of putting in your stack after your flop. I hate running into a set and felting on top pair top kicker :eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm surprised at how many chips you pick up by making sizeable 1/2 pot bets that people will call to draw (unless u really dont want them to hit that flush, make them paaaay :) ) and just hoping your hand will hold out. Then you're not in those all in situations!

Last edited:
DaPirate

DaPirate

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wish I had seen this earlier. Just lost with AA to exactly the same thing. Guy flopped set and flat called... villians (as I'm sure you do and everyone) love to just slow play to aggressors when they flop sets. High PP's will not win every time. We have to have the dicipline to fold them when we smell a rat in the woodpile :)