Classic Hellmuth Style

O

onekaydeep

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If anyone has ever read Phil's book on no-limit tournaments, perhaps you have a processed idea on what I am referring to. There is a reason he can continue to win bracelets, and that's because his strategy will always give up an edge to the applier.

The strategy had some key elements, involving playing the opposite of table flow, designating characters at the table, playing TAG, making disciplined folds preflop, and obtaining max value out of top premiums.

Occasionally, a cooler will happen. However, this style is diverse and also statistically advantageous.

He also discusses changing tempo throughout the different stages of the tournament. He simply states that premiums are the early (40bb+) tournament range, semi premiums are added mid tourney, and a switch back to premiums-only late tourney. All this is also considering the fact that every table and position is different. If there is a big stack to the left, it is plausible to only play premiums mid-tournament. Also, if there are weaker players to the left, opening up a button range can deem profitable.

I cannot express how important this strategy had been for a long period of my career. I still use it, actually, simply because its as close to full-proof as a strategy gets.

Anyone else try to implement this strategy (not style, but strategy) with positive results? If not, give it a try and go win some money for me, because in the long haul, it shall happen!

Tylorm1

V

vinest

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
please tell me the name of the book and the author

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you read 1st sentence, he is refering to phil helmut's book .... google is your friend
please tell me the name of the book and the author

O

onekaydeep

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it's called No-Limit Texas Holdem by Hellmuth loL.

L

love that omaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think you should use the words Phil Hellmuth and style in the same sentence.

Ok, Im joking, I do use a small ball strategy myself but prefer the Daniel Negreanu variant ---I believe Hellmuth himself has altered his game since writing that book due to a little slump - at his level the game is way too advanced however the basic commitment to controlling pot size, playing well from postion, and getting max value with premium hands are universal strategies imployed by the best. Phil takes it a little too far because he is so invested in every tourney but I think Johnny Chan, Negreanu J.C. Tran all have shown the effectiveness of a small ball approach. I still like TJ Cloutier's books the best but I don't think he used small ball- LOL

Ducbim

Ducbim

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you look at Phil's videos his strategy is pretending to go on tilt and badmouth with some sentences like "Idiot from Nothern Europe", which makes opponents think he's gonna play crazy next hand, but in fact he keeps playing tight and wait for good hands only. His opponents celebrate when they are winning with trash hands but they don't know that they are throwing away their chipstack long term with marginal hands.

O

onekaydeep

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, some call marginal hands "break even hands," because it may pay a dividend now but yes in the long run its easy to get two pair colored by trips, a straight, or flush, not to mention counterfeited.

J

JamesMoroski

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well any fundamentally solid player plays like this. I prefer Dan Harringtons books however he plays this exact style and i love it patience is why I have been so successful at this game i dont play garbage like 75 94 102 i mean none of that crap.