book advice after harrington 1 & 2 (next step)

R

Red_Devil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys, so i've managed to get through Phil Gordons Little Green Book which I thought was superb, currently on Harrington 1 & have Harrington 2 waiting. So the question is... where do you suggest I go from Harrington 2? I was on thinking poker (Andrew Brokos') site, looking at book reviews & he recommends moving onto winning poker tournaments one hand at a time (rizen, lynch, App) vol1-3 after harrington, but can I really miss out kill everyone and raisers edge? Advice from tournament players would be great, as I feel after Harrington will be an important step in my development as a tournament player.

As always, thanks

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonathan Little secrets of professional tournament poker
I advise you to read many concepts very help you,,,
You can also view Kill Everyone Lee Nelson

The books is good, but online they do not help too much. After read books more watch poker VOD , this it is more useful.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kill Everyone: Advanced Strategies for No-Limit Hold 'Em Poker, Tournaments, and Sit-n-Gos by Lee Nelson

Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-limit Texas Hold Em by Annie Duke and John Vorhaus

Robbie Strazynski

Robbie Strazynski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Mental Game of Poker (volumes 1 and 2) by Jared Tendler

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you found reading HoH was a productive learning experience, take a while to see what you can integrate into your game from what you learned. Then go back and read them again. Repeat until your learning curve flattens out.

This doesn't mean you shouldn't read something else during the same time period. It does mean that if a book has a significant amount it can teach you, reading it once is probably not enough to get as much out of it as you can / should.

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
What would be a good book to start with? I've been playing online for a couple of years but have never actually picked up a book.
I'm looking to take my game to the next level.
Any recommendations appreciated :)

R

Red_Devil

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks guys. Good advice as always Arj, thanks. I recently started playing again, building a bankroll slowly by playing single table sng's at the micro's, currently running an roi of 64% over a 43 game sample....pretty sure that's not going to last!! haha. Although I do feel as though i've a huge edge since I got back playing after studying some. I'll stick to the sng's until I have a bankroll big enough to throw a few tournaments in. Think I will give Kill Everyone a read after these 2 and work on some end game shoves etc (heard good things). Hey Shanest, Arj will prob be able to offer you better advice on your first book than me, all depends on your current level & game, but if your a beginner playing tournaments looking to improve (as was I) Phil Gordon's Little Green Book is superb start for anyone looking to better their game in my opinion. Then obv Dan Harrington's Tournament series Harrington on Holdem.

W

wherbie718

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Mental Game of Poker (volumes 1 and 2) by Jared Tendler

I've been told that these are great books and Jared Tendler's podcast has been a great resource for me. I don't know that enough time is spent on the mental game by most players, so I'd go here. These are the next books I will be reading as well.