Best example of a extreme calling station or outright donk I have ever seen.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today: At Carbon. PLO MTT, $40.00 ante, 250/500 blinds

Ready to laugh? Here it is:

P2 Posts SB 250.00
Villain Posts BB 500.00
P3 Calls 500.00
P4 Folds
MikePaler Calls 500.00 on button (8s,5d,Ac,4d)
P2 Folds
Villain Checks

Flop: 8h,4h,Ac
Villain Checks
P3 Checks
MikePaler Checks (Now, I should bet my 2 pair, but it isn't top 2, plus as you can see, there is a flush draw and as always, possible trips someone is slow playing, badly. I am more worried about the flush. I do not want to get 3 bet and have to fold or chase 2 pair into a possible flush. And, because of the possible flush, anyone w trips should bet the flop [or raised it pre flop, like they almost always do w QQ-KK or AA; this guy would every time, like a clock; if he raises pre, he has one of those big pairs and two rags.])

Turn: 8c (Jack pot! I just hit my full. Now, I just hope someone has the little full or one of the now 2 flush draws on board!)

Villain Bets 1462.00 (Again, I am sure he does not have the nuts, which, at this point that would be AAA-88; he would have raised preflop, like he had every time so far)
P3 Calls 1462.00 (???? What's HE got?)
MikePaler Raised to 7798.00 (pot)
Villain All In 7935.00 (Ok, could I be wrong? Crap, he must have that AA in hand or if I am lucky, the little full, or something he is willing to gamble on, right? He has just overcalled a 6,473 pot sized 3-bet by 1600.00, so I must be screwed)
P3 Folds (Smart man!)
MikePaler Calls 1599.00 (Although, now I am concerned. The only hand that can beat me is one with a pair of aces, maybe some bizarre one or two out hand that sucks out.)

MikePaler Shows 8s,5d,Ac,4d (Full house, 8's over 4's)
Villain Shows 3d,9s,Ts,Tc (two pair, 10's and 8's)

I am thinking at this point, how lucky am I? This bozo just overcalled a strong 3-bet that almost put him all in and screamed "full house", on a board with (2) possible flush draws (Hearts/Clubs), (4) possible full houses (888-44, 444-88, AAA-88, and AAA-44) one possible overpair (AA), and 3 different sets of possible trips (10 hands in all!!), and he does not have ANY of it! Nothing but a pair of, giggle, 10's! Not even so much as a top pair! If anything, he is drawing to one of two outs. For his entire tourney life for 6,473 plus his last 1600, after an initial bet of only 1462. Ha! Pot odds? I don't need no stinkin pot odds!

Well, by now I am sure you know how this turned out. Yep, that is correct;

River: 10d Donkey hits his 2 outer.

Of course: Full House - Tens over Eights. Well, crapa-lapa-ding-dong.

It did not kill me, I had more chips than him by twice. But honestly! After my huge pot sized 3-bet, would not alarm bells go off in your head? What, pray tell, on that board could not beat a pair of tens? Only if he thought someone was willing to 3-bet that big with only a pair of fours?!? Could there possibly be a more dangerous flop and turn to a (giggle) freakin pair of tens!!?? Well, Mike, you say, there were only 8 possible made hands and 2 possible winning draws. Thats all. Doh!

If you can find a better example of a donkey or extreme calling station, feel free to post it here. I could not even get mad at this guy, it was just so stupid-lucky and hilariously funny the way it played out.

Last edited:

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lot of unexperienced players misread their hands and/or the board in Omaha, sometimes even forgetting they have to use 2 of their holecards.
In your example here, I'm kinda shocked though.
Just can't see any motivation from his side to continue with the hand.

Fortunately there's loads of calling stations like this one....unfortunately they sometimes hit, but that's part of the game.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lot of unexperienced players misread their hands and/or the board in Omaha, sometimes even forgetting they have to use 2 of their holecards.
In your example here, I'm kinda shocked though.
Just can't see any motivation from his side to continue with the hand.

Fortunately there's loads of calling stations like this one....unfortunately they sometimes hit, but that's part of the game.

True enough. I just thought it was actually funny. He was chatting about it afterwards like he intended for it to happen just like that, which then made me rofl. Clearly not a misread hand.

I know I still misread hands all the time. Which is why I am liking Omaha more and more. It also improves my reading ability in hold-em. Since it is pot limit, being a calling station can actually work, if you do not go too far. Or, at least, that is what some of the pros say (super system 2, Jennifer Harmon). So I had to get better at learning what to chase, what to stop and give up on. Only way to know that, is for you to speculate what your opponent could have that can beat your hand, etc.

Geez! I really like poker, don't you?!?

Edit: I like that name, or numbers; 10058765. That really stands out.

R

RoyWeldon

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny.

"So I had to get better at learning what to chase, what to stop and give up on. "

I like this words.
Sometime I didnt know give up,I have lost chips 2 much.

A

A9ofHearts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Today: At Carbon. PLO MTT, $40.00 ante, 250/500 blinds

Ready to laugh? Here it is:

P2 Posts SB 250.00
Villain Posts BB 500.00
P3 Calls 500.00
P4 Folds
MikePaler Calls 500.00 on button (8s,5d,Ac,4d)
P2 Folds
Villain Checks

Flop: 8h,4h,Ac
Villain Checks
P3 Checks
MikePaler Checks (Now, I should bet my 2 pair, but it isn't top 2, plus as you can see, there is a flush draw and as always, possible trips someone is slow playing, badly. I am more worried about the flush. I do not want to get 3 bet and have to fold or chase 2 pair into a possible flush. And, because of the possible flush, anyone w trips should bet the flop [or raised it pre flop, like they almost always do w QQ-KK or AA; this guy would every time, like a clock; if he raises pre, he has one of those big pairs and two rags.])

Isn't A8 top two?

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wouldn't have played that hand.

-

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't A8 top two?

You know what? I screwed up, I went back and looked, I didn't have Ac, I had the Qc. Therefore, I did not have top 2. I must have pasted something wrong. My hand was 8s5dQc4d. So, I flopped mid and bottom pair, turn gave me a full.

Good catch, thank you. I normally would not even play this hand, as it is what they call "3 connected cards and a 'dangler'; the 'dangler' being that Q. It does not connect well with the other 3 cards. Plus, I only had a 5 high diamond flush. However, lots of chips and the button....

Here it is, names removed to protect the insane:

exteme+donkey+posted.bmp

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Funny.

"So I had to get better at learning what to chase, what to stop and give up on. "

I like this words.
Sometime I didnt know give up,I have lost chips 2 much.

Haven't we all forgot the 2 key points of wisdom from Kenny Rogers at some point in our life?

1. You got to know when to fold'em, when to hold'em, when to walk away and know when to run.

2. Never get plastic surgery done at a small strip mall sitting in between a grungy off-brand chinese food place and a laundry mat.

Ok, maybe we all only forgot that first one...

kenny-rogers-plastic-surgery.jpg

Last edited:
Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My hand was 8s5dQc4d. So, I flopped mid and bottom pair, turn gave me a full.

Good catch, thank you. I normally would not even play this hand, as it is what they call "3 connected cards and a 'dangler'; the 'dangler' being that Q. It does not connect well with the other 3 cards. Plus, I only had a 5 high diamond flush. However, lots of chips and the button....

I'm not sure that I would classify that hand as 3 connected and a dangler :eek:
I know what you're saying, that the 8 is within reach of the 2 connectors, but in my book it is a garbage hand, and you're right you shouldn't be playing it, even with the btn and chips.

Michael Paler

Michael Paler

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not sure that I would classify that hand as 3 connected and a dangler :eek:
I know what you're saying, that the 8 is within reach of the 2 connectors, but in my book it is a garbage hand, and you're right you shouldn't be playing it, even with the btn and chips.

You can have a wider range on the button, right? I think 458 is close enough to see a flop with on the button when you are the chipleader at the table by a lot and only one limper. It's not like I raised with it. Had there been several limps, I would have folded it. If you don't hit and there is action before you, then you let it go. You certainly will not see me raising preflop UTG with it.

I did have st8 possibilities (in bold) 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q, although dangerous ones. Really, my cards were all very loosely-connected (the Q was the worst card, therefore that was the dangler), you are right. So, had I flopped a dangerous st8, I had the added advantage of position, see if anyone goes to-a-bettin.

I really like position, more than cards, period.