The art of making deals

Gorak

Gorak

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The art of making deals

I was just railing the last part of the SCOOP $10,300 buyin and the last 3 players had a long discussion before coming to a deal. The chip leader wanted 1 Million which is more than the ICM numbers suggested.

The player in 2nd finally offered to give 4K from his own payout to the leader and they all agreed. It turned out well for him since the very next hand he got out TT vs QQ. The chip leader went on and got his million when the 60K was added to his deal money.

If I ever make it deep into a big tourney I would like to know how to make a profitable deal and not get screwed.

My question is this: Is there a good book or resource that would talk in dept about Final Table deal making?

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Base your numbers on ICM to begin..then do u have to leave ,work or need sleep or spouse bugging you...It depends ..what position r u in ...sometimes its better to split than keep playing

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You can look up some ICM calculators online.

I heard that the one guy who readily gave up $4k on the chop only had a total of 17 games tracked 'lifetime' on Stars (& a couple of them were 10cent buyins just recently).

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ICM chop will always slightly favor the big stack.

This is because it assigns you an equal chance of winning each pay spot. So if you have 30% of the chips in play an ICM chop assigns you 30% of 1st, 30% of 2nd, 30% of 3rd.....and so on and so forth all the way down to 30% of last place.

In reality, it is much less likely that the big stack will get one of the last places; so an ICM chop is always good for the big stack.

so....if you are the big stack or 1 of the 2 big stacks....consider graciously accepting an offer to ICM chop...it will be hard to do much better for yourself than this.

If you are one of the shorter stacks now you have some options. If you think your skill level and mental alertness is good vs. the field go ahead and play as the cards will turn out to be more fair in the end, than an ICM chop for a short stack.

it's funny though...it is usually the opposite when the deal is really going down. It is usually the short stacks who desperately want to make the deal happen, and the big stacks who don't wanna budge.

The other things I will consider are relative table positions.

Where am I relative to the big stacks and short stacks?

Where am I relative to the most talented players?

The more dangerous players are to my left, the more willing I am to make a deal.

the other consideration is structure. When the average stack has an M=5 or less...I am ALWAYS willing to consider an equity chop. Because you work so hard laying good solid poker to get to that point, and then the structure degrades and you leave the majority of the prizepool on the table to be distributed via a preflop all-in war; it basically goes to whoever catches cards in the next 2 orbits or so...

Last edited:
Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the other consideration is structure. When the average stack has an M=5 or less...I am ALWAYS willing to consider an equity chop. Because you work so hard laying good solid poker to get to that point, and then the structure degrades and you leave the majority of the prizepool on the table to be distributed via a preflop all-in war; it basically goes to whoever catches cards in the next 2 orbits or so...

^^ this.

Also, if you are discussing a live (as opposed to online) chop, it`s important to smile and be polite. Nobody likes an a**hole, and the other players won`t be willing to give you a favourable deal if you annoy them.