AK vs 20x shove

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sry no hand converter.

Few info about villain, he is quite tight, he respected a couple of 3bets folding preflop when we were equal stack, he called with 2nd pair a river bet of 1/5 of his stack (we were both pretty deep 40/50x) on an hand which I slowplayed my TPGK in my raised pot

#Game No : 443930315
***** 888poker Hand History for Game 443930315 *****
$125/$250 Blinds No Limit Holdem - ***
Tournament #53240497 $2.70 + $0.30 - Table #4 (real money)
Seat 6 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 1: Ranhomer ( $15,065 )
Seat 2: letsplynice ( $24,861 )
Seat 3: brankorakic ( $7,004 )
Seat 4: Vizmati ( $6,074 )
Seat 5: zogigog ( $4,941 )
Seat 6: nbvf_87 ( $1,880 )
Seat 7: krok222 ( $5,465 )
Seat 9: 5bet4info ( $24,637 )
Seat 10: IlyaSib ( $12,488 )
Vizmati posts ante [$25]
brankorakic posts ante [$25]
krok222 posts ante [$25]
zogigog posts ante [$25]
5bet4info posts ante [$25]
IlyaSib posts ante [$25]
Ranhomer posts ante [$25]
nbvf_87 posts ante [$25]

letsplynice posts ante [$25]
krok222 posts small blind [$125]
5bet4info posts big blind [$250]
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to 5bet4info [ Kd, Ah ]
IlyaSib folds
Ranhomer folds
letsplynice folds
brankorakic folds
Vizmati folds
zogigog folds
nbvf_87 folds

krok222 calls [$125]
5bet4info raises [$725]
krok222 shoves

action suggested ??

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm always calling... And I'm always happy about it too. Unless u have some sick read that says he always has AA/KK.

You lose and you still have 76BB that's really healthy. I take this risk all day

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks 4 posting. It makes sense.
In game I folded coz it looked to me really strongish with the reads I had. But yeah, i wasnt that sure and anywhy Hero hands play very well vs his range. :( gg

ps: @mod, could I bother you asking to EDIT my op putting some xxx or completely replace VILLAIN nickname?? thanks guyz

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thanks 4 posting. It makes sense.
I folded coz it looker to me really strongish with the reads I had

Yeah well it's always read dependent. I think he shoves a lot worse than AA/KK though... Plus your holding blockers to both and it's unlikely. My analysis and guess would be your flipping with like 10 10/JJ, or something like that

rdm4k

rdm4k

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah well it's always read dependent. I think he shoves a lot worse than AA/KK though... Plus your holding blockers to both and it's unlikely. My analysis and guess would be your flipping with like 10 10/JJ, or something like that

my previous post was not intended to disagree. I strongly agree instead :).
I edited my previous reply as well

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my previous post was not intended to disagree. I strongly agree instead :).
I edited my previous reply as well

I was just adding more to my explanation :)

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK is an easy call

i don´t know where is the doubt, if you have AK you should pay always, it doesn´t matter if somebody shoves

and consider this, the villain was in the ss, so the range is wider, so AK its easier to play no matter the shove, you will be up 95% of the time

actually there are only 2 better hands (actually 6, the combinations for AA or KK)

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i don´t know where is the doubt, if you have AK you should pay always, it doesn´t matter if somebody shoves

and consider this, the villain was in the ss, so the range is wider, so AK its easier to play no matter the shove, you will be up 95% of the time

actually there are only 2 better hands (actually 6, the combinations for AA or KK)

Not really. There are spots where it is correct to fold AK pre.

ex: we r on the bubble in a tourney... We are 50BB deep and healthy.... UTG is 20BB deep and open shoves, UTG+1 who is 100BB deep jams over the original raiser. I'm not calling down my tourney life here on the bubble with AK.... There r times when u should kick it in

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call. Good spot to get it in.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's probably a call, but it's close. I'd need a read to make a tough tough fold. I don't need to flip for 20% my stack right now, that is how you lose a big stack...however since there is a good chance we have them crushed, I think the call is OK. But I've folded AK plenty of times preflop in a tourney and I've usually been right, I don't think it's an automatic "you always play AK preflop"

If I had AQ I'd probably fold, and I'd need a read to make the call.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips

Not really. There are spots where it is correct to fold AK pre.

ex: we r on the bubble in a tourney... We are 50BB deep and healthy.... UTG is 20BB deep and open shoves, UTG+1 who is 100BB deep jams over the original raiser. I'm not calling down my tourney life here on the bubble with AK.... There r times when u should kick it in
This ^^^^^^

AK is not an auto call, it's not called Anna Kournikova for nothing, "looks great but often loses".

In the OP's situation I like folding but I also like calling depending on what reads I have on the villain and whether or not we are near the bubble.

Last edited:
rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
tough spot here. he could be slowplaying his hand because no one enters to the pot, so you need to evaluate that. if he is a tight player as you said folding isnt a bad choice here, but calling isnt bad either its up to you. IMO it seems that he is slowplaying so maybe i would just fold the hand , but i dont know.