AK suited, first hand of the tournament

kissapig

kissapig

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So I am UG+1, I get AKhh, I min raise, lots of calls, then an all in from the SB.
I fold. I didn't want to start the game out being knocked out.
Everyone else folds.
Next hand I get it again, AKdd.
I min raise, couple of calls, and same villain shoves.
After a couple of seconds to calm down, I fold.
Yeah, I know, way too nitty.
First game of the new year and I didn't want to start off getting knocked out the first hand I get involved in.
Chipped up later on, but the start of this tourney was just a tilt fest.
Knocked out later with 99 vs TT vs AJdd.
This was all on Juicy, a single gold coin buy in, so donkfest central.
Question is, if this was you and the first hand of the tournament you got AKhh and some maniac shoves... do you call?
And if it happens again on the very next hand?

TheseNutsWin

TheseNutsWin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First hand of the tournament so you got no idea if he is a maniac but if it's some turbo freeroll or some turbo cheap points donkfest I'll just go for a shove with AK. Don't min raise in the first stages of tournament.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I definitely call. I think its the right play. Chances are this guy is just out of line and has absolute crap. The second time he does it 1 hand later is definitely a call chances are you are WAY ahead of him. I call that all day.

triplesyxx

triplesyxx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call both times brother. Donkfest city on there, villains were prob shovin with and ace and any unsuited connector. Guarantee you had the best hand pre flop both times.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would have called that with 45 suited if it was a freeroll.

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think I was in the same game as you, the 1 chip Holiday game?
First hand Q,Q I raised someone went all in and I called he had A,K. Flop comes K,K 10 I am done 1 hand. LOL

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Gotta call both hands. Most always some donk does this with A-rag of K-rag even.

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Daniel Negreanu gives good info on A/K-A/Q.Sounds like you played it right,Could of called if it was free rolling or rebuy tourney.Its according if I could afford to risk my tourney life. some players just don't fold well to others no matter whats in their hand.Any how here's good info on A/K on you tube.http://youtu.be/Vq9tikCvFTo

Last edited:
dd_decker

dd_decker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LOL. If you call the first hand, the next hand does not exist because either he's out or you are out, so you can't call twice!
I'd call, by the way...

shamanalix

shamanalix

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For 1 Gold Chip, if I had plenty of other options of things to do (and probably even if I didn't), definitely I'm calling that first-hand shover. Or else might as well sit out the first 40 minutes and let the maniacs eat each others' chips. First place was only around 120, right? And had to be final table to make even double-figure payback for your time? Seriously, good luck, mate!

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
min raise? why?

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands