9-10 suited: late game

tarinoidenkertoja

tarinoidenkertoja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,
I had 9-10s suited on the button, late game in a 10€ buy-in tourney (1000 € guaranteed ) on pokestars.it.
My stack was 7500 , blinds 100-200. Everyone folds before , I raise to 600 , the chip leader of the tourney re-raises to 1600 (his tack was almost 3 times mine), I called.
Flop : Kh 6s 10d
He goes all-in .
question 1) Am i a total donk 3-betting with 9-10 on the buttone in a late tourney and calling the re-raise to 1600?
question 2) What would you think about that all-in?

ben_rhyno

ben_rhyno

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't 3-bet, you were 3-bet and called the 4-bet which I think is bad. Raising 9-10 off the button with +35bb's isn't bad at all. I think you have to fold to the shove as it stinks of AK to me, but he could have lots of hands that beat you. If his 3-betting range is: 99+, AJs+,AQo+ KJs+ you really don't beat any of his range apart from AJ/AQ but even then he has 2 overs and a gutshot. That may be putting him a bit tight but thats my thoughts

forsakenone

forsakenone

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need to make your decision preflop, if you give him credit for a good hand, fold, if you believe he is on a resteal, shove.

tarinoidenkertoja

tarinoidenkertoja

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The factors that i ve taken into account when i called his re-raise preflop were:
1)even with a huge hand , 9-10 suited in 1vs1 against AK have 41 % and 50 % against a pair lower than 9 (which,considering his previous hands , he could have had)
2)I ve never seen him betting with the top pair nor overbetting
and postflop: that was a dry board, you have top pair and top kicker ,you never overbet , why you go all-in?
I may be really wrong about it , the way i played this hand is surely questionable,but straight up , is it a donk move?

JohnBoyWWFC

JohnBoyWWFC

Grindddddd
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. No you're not a donk for raising there, probably is a bit dumb to call off 1600 chips there though. Shove or fold and I'm thinking fold.

2. From the info you gave I'd guess he's shoving some trash like AQ that missed knowing that he has you covered. But you really can't call with middle pair there. Even if you're right he still has outs, and often, you're not right! You simply don't want to stack off with middle pair, it's awful play.

PurgatoryD

PurgatoryD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The raise on the button was a good move (depending on the chip leader's play to that point). But once the chip leader re-raised, you needed to really consider your situation:

His stack is bigger than yours and he can try to bully you. Also, after the flop, he acts before you. So with such aggression and advantage, you could really expect some "continuation aggression" after the flop. And that's what you got.

As others have mentioned, at that point, either fold or go all-in. And barring any other information about your opponent, I don't like an all-in there (tournament life hanging on 9Ts preflop), so I'm folding.

jbbb

jbbb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With an M of 25 I think inital raise is fine but I don't like the call as it will usually lead to a marginal decision post flop.
Also i'd probably fold pre and find better spots to get some chips.

Donk betting with AK is possible, but if he's an average player he'd probably try the check-raise here. Only a really good or really bad player would shove with AK IMO.

Top 10 Games