4 bet from SB?

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This came up just a few mins. ago in a Bovada trny. I have 9k in chips in the SB. V has just over 6k in the cutoff. No special reads on v accept he seems to limp/call the hands he is in. I don't recall any showdowns. I guess my only read would be semi passive. Blinds are 100/200

So, Folded to v who limps on the CO. I make it 1150 with AK spades. BB folds. V tanks about half his clock and min raises to 2300. I called. Flop is J8(5 I think). I lead for about 1300. V. tanks his entire clock and about 20 sec from his time bank and finally pushes. At this point I just don't feel he is that strong and I have 2 overs. I was also getting about 3.5-1 on his all in, so I called.

Questions- 1-Would a 4 bet be out of the question here?
2-Is 3.5-1 good enough to make that call?
3-What would you have V's range at? (I had him at med pp+ AQ+ Was fairly confident he didn't have QQ+)
I'll fill in hand after a few replies.
Thanks

R

rumsey182

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why would you call here my whole range would be shoving or folding 30BB effective that was silly to flat

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't flat and you can avoid this entire predicament

aa88wildbill

aa88wildbill

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the problem with the hand is the pre flop betting. When he RE raises you 2300, seems to me you have only two choices, number one fold, number two a RE raise of some sort. Because you have ace king, you probably are on the draw, sounds like he is a small pair. Even if he doesn't have a pair, you still have the same two choices, because he made it look like he had a pair.

T

Tiltt2424

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the problem with the hand is the pre flop betting. When he RE raises you 2300, seems to me you have only two choices, number one fold, number two a RE raise of some sort. Because you have ace king, you probably are on the draw, sounds like he is a small pair. Even if he doesn't have a pair, you still have the same two choices, because he made it look like he had a pair.
Totally agree, the mistake was the PF betting. Don't like just flatting with AK oop. Either shove it all in there or fold. You want to see 5 cards with AK.

IPlay

IPlay

Bum hunts 25NL
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Him limping in and then taking his time and 3 betting you shows strength. He wasn't trying to push you off your hand with a min raise and limp 3 betting pre is a decent sign of a strong hand.

J

jj20002

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he could be slowrolling a monster because first limp 1bb and then goes to 12 bb, the other possiblity is a semibluff with a low pair, so here depending what one wants and what feelings one has in the moment is a shove or a fold, problem with AK is that if one flats a bet so high then if doesn´t hit the flop and the V cbets, the decision is tough so is better to fold if not sure and want to look for another hand or if want to risk put all the chips in the middle because if the V is bluffing, one gets the chips without watching the flop, and if if not then one has the opportunity to see turn and river without making more decisions and the chances to get the top pair are increased in 40%

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I put him on a pair, most likely something like 44-88 but it would be a brilliant way to play KK or AA. I strongly doubt he has 99-QQ or AQ or AK. pretty much pairs are what I put him on.

In that case, you'll want to 4 bet all in preflop...you have too much in the pot already to fold what is most likely a coinflip and he might fold small pocket pairs. If he has KK or AA then good for him, he played it well.

The only reason you wouldn't go all in preflop is if you wanted to have the option of folding if you missed to save yourself a heap of chips....if you weren't going to fold on a bad flop, you should have just shoved pre.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you called his all in with just overs, you showed you were willing to get it all in on any flop. So why wouldn't you shove pre-? Or shove the flop instead of betting 1400 into a pot already holding 4800?

C

crow27

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok thanks for the comments people. I don't ever recall having that situation come up before so I wasn't sure what the best line should be. Looks like I took the worst choice available, which is totally in line with how I do most things. lol

For what it's worth, V. turned over QQ and held up. Probably a standard situation had I played it correctly.

el_magiciann

el_magiciann

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is semi passive, he should have something like KK, AA, QQ and slowplaying them with that flop you are far from favourite ,something more he can hit trips which is alwfull for u too, if missing the flop and out of possition your so vulnerable. At the end I think he is KK,AA slowplaying :)

H

haihai

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping then 3 betting more often then not means villain had a premium hand.