When to fold pocket jacks?

G

Grindmode

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've only folded jacks pre-flop a few times in situations where there had been 4 bets and 5 bets ahead of me though it seems that I should be folding them more often. I tend to shove on top of any re-raise but I realize that hand ranges really tighten up when deep stacked. What situations are you folding jacks pre-flop? How many BB? What position? Etc? Yesterday I tried flatting a 3 bet with my jacks to be cautious but the flop came 494 and I check raised then got jammed on and he had queens, how can I avoid this scenario?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it may sound silly but JJ is basically the same as 88 to me, if you have 10 bbs or you are set mining and can win 30x your bet then you play it

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it may sound silly but JJ is basically the same as 88 to me, if you have 10 bbs or you are set mining and can win 30x your bet then you play it

i agree, JJ can be a very tricky hand to play unless you flop a set or quads.

depending on what game + limit you are playing decisions for me would be different.

in freerolls and micros i would tend to go in with them more often due to the fact that alot of your opponents are morons and play anything so there can be money to be made in them that way but once you move up the limits people tend to be playing much better and therefore i feel the value in JJ becomes slightly less and so i try and keep the pot small unless you are shortstacked and are able to get into the pot 1st by shipping all in but more often than not you still will get those dominating situations where someone shows up QQ+ or racing vs 2 overs

Staneff

Staneff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a tricky hand. I personally never go all-in pre-flop with any pocket pair except bullets. JJ is a hand to go all-in pre-flop with when you are less than 10bb in tourneys. In some tourneys even 15bb, but never too early in the tourney.

S

SamBush

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks are a strong hand that too many people player too aggressively or too passively, it is hard to get it just right but if you're 30 blinds or more deep I wouldn't suggest stacking off pre flop without a read! I feel like jacks can be used early levels as a set mining hand as you will generally win a small pot or lose a big one trying to get value out of one pair! However when the antes come in I would 3 bet it for sure.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that JJ is one of the hardest starting hands to play with.

Hard in a sense that overcard/s will appear on the flop and we dont know where we are postflop.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jacks is not hand when you should push or call big raises.I usually raise 2 or 3 bb and wait for good flop.If flop is bad i usually fold such hand

D

DrHorrible

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it's quite simple: I fold jacks when -

A: It has become obvious that it is either a race or I'm dominated

AND

B: I do not wish to be involved in a race.

B

binnk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't go all-in pre flop with that game, the best thing is to see if after the flop it is still the highest pair or if there are any draws ( flush or straight ). If you find yourself in a position where you're still the highest pair, there are no draws or a J comes on the river, you should absolutely keep on raising, otherwise you must wait for the other players reaction to see what you should do. If they pass you can raise, if not fold is the best option

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP9CBtSW0kA

I saw this video on this forum a few weeks ago. I think it summarize how to play JJ :D
I just watched the first minute and it was pretty comical. He thought he rivered him for just a moment until he realized that the flush hit.

His reaction was priceless.

Nice parody though, sounds like all of us from time to time.

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree that JJ is one of the hardest starting hands to play with.

Hard in a sense that overcard/s will appear on the flop and we dont know where we are postflop.

If your stack size is less than 20bb easy shove and hoping on coinflip or low pais , if more than 30 bb, you are right to say difficult to play postflop game , if 3bet pot....

mhtnyc

mhtnyc

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ is a tricky hand. I personally never go all-in pre-flop with any pocket pair except bullets. JJ is a hand to go all-in pre-flop with when you are less than 10bb in tourneys. In some tourneys even 15bb, but never too early in the tourney.

It depends on position. If someone open limped and I'm on the button, then I'm inclined to go at it harder (esp. if the blinds are tight). As far as all-in, I'd usually do it with KK on a reraise.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like having Jacks in tourneys rather than in cash games.

In cash games, your range should be polarized and you are confident playing the flop with Jacks. First thing that comes thru my mind when I have Jacks is how to extract value than folding.

Raccoony

Raccoony

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I often fold them knowing they won't bring me much joy.

carloskmargo

carloskmargo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I foldeo jacks depending on the texture of the board and the person I of action, usually if there is good 5bet 4bet or removed as will always be dominated by better hands, if the player is very tight and it is better to fold most important tournament situation or the amount of money paid, I think it is unprofitable played a large amount of money with a hand which is not know how to play at 100%

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can make a small raise and then watch it on the flop if the card is smaller than the jack to play very aggressively and there is a check call

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With that flop. I dont think no is gonna fold QQ. JJ is brutal for me. I honestly would slow play these from UTG threw mid position. Like above watch flop play aggressive with under cards on board. If im in high jack or button, in good position I three or four bet but for if the come back. I will lose 85% of the time. These cards are a death trap. Others will think different but on the bigger cash sites JJ is a set up for me.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice is never go all-in with jacks unless your in a tourney and shortstacked. Otherwise, when in cash games, treat it as pocket 10's.

My leak before when I was starting to grind, I was bleeding money due to jacks and I adjusted accordingly.

Since I treated jacks as tens or nines, I avoided to bleed monry from those cards. I would advice same technique. 😄

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Most people think this is over simplification, but fold JJ when you think it's not good, like any other hand.

azforlife

azforlife

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had 15 BB Went all in UTG vs AQ with 1010 guess I'm supposed to raise fold when an overcard hits the board, still not 100% sure what's the correct play

magik9118

magik9118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fold jj a lot in Tourney because many players play all in pré flop and jj isn't that strong pr flop!!

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
"When to fold pocket jacks?"
In most cases as soon as you see them.

W

wryly coyote

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I looked over my history in pokertracker in tourney's with JJ and found that I lost 16 out of 57 times.

More than half the times I lost I was 3-betted pre-flop but rarely 3-betted in the times I won, so I think that's a good warning sign.

The other times I was flat called and I am not sure how much you can do there given that was only 3 or 4 hands out of 57. Still it cost me a lot but not enough to make it worth changing strategies. On those 57 hands, I netted 529BB's

Folding in Poker