What is wrong with me????

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am getting tired of this rollercoaster! I load money into my account almost daily and I end up loose down to my last enery and win a little extra or back to even but then I am not satisfied with what i made I got to try and make more and end up loosing everything to where I have to make another load the next day... ughh. I really want to learn how to manage my bankroll. any tips?

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try following good BRM...for example 20 -30 buyins for cash...and 100 buyins for Mtt.s. it sounds like you are playing above your buyin level if you are reloading every day...

How much studying do you do to improve your game ?

D

Dikkas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Just take a break and then study a bit how to manage your bankroll, there's a lot of articles on the internet, but u MUST take a break from poker, otherwise you will burn all your money :)

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Youre not alone sir.
My BR management is like this.
At least have a 100 big blind to cash games and 100 buy-ins to tournament. I believe that would be the safest figure I can advise - providing of course not thinking of reloading. But if you can afford to reload many times, then you can do whatever you want to do.
Good luck to your BR.

BearPlay

BearPlay

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try following good BRM...for example 20 -30 buyins for cash...and 100 buyins for Mtt.s. it sounds like you are playing above your buyin level if you are reloading every day...

How much studying do you do to improve your game ?

This.

Back off from buyins for awhile and read some books, watch some videos, post some hands for analyses. Play some freerolls if you have the time/interest.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Youre not alone sir.
My BR management is like this.
At least have a 100 big blind to cash games and 100 buy-ins to tournament.

ARRRRGGGGGGGHHHHH !!! 100 big blinds is 1 buy-in !! I've seen you post this stupid cash game BRM advice so many times now ! :argh: :argh:

left52side

left52side

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Like mentioned above proper bank roll managment Is key to this problem.
There are lots of great BRM tips right here on the forum.
The swings like you are describing are gonna happen and there is nothing you can do about that,you have to accept it.
When you feel unsatisfied and risk blowing it all (if I read it right).
You need some control of your emotions IMHO.
Just get up and walk away when your session is over,dont try to make back what you lost all in one day,fatique sets in,bad mind set,lots of factors,and then you wind up broke and depositing the next day.
Start by reading up on proper BRM managment.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We will sort of assume you are newer to the game. We assume this because experienced players know how to deal with what you describe as a roller coaster. Something recently got you to a point most of us got to and that was thinking there must be folks who sit around (online) jawboning about poker, and so you probably googled poker chat forums or something like that and found CC. That was the first step most of us took.

I agree with taking a break. You will not get rich overnight unless you get luckier than anyone ever has. Don't rush the learning process.
Learn the sport aspect of poker. This allows you to play the game, not treat it like a gamble. Truthfully, my first reaction was to suggest you play only play money poker for a good long while. This would go a long way toward learning that 'sport' aspect of the game. Plus you learn immunity from tilt, or begin to learn it.

As for BRM, set goals, and from what we read, perhaps your first goal is limiting yourself to 1 deposit per month.

But tell us more about what games you have been playing, and what you are thinking. Really, if you are willing to listen, we can help. This sounded like an appeal to correct an initial approach to the game more than hand selections and dynamic table decisions. HH's can work in to the fix later, lets get your attitude fixed first.

Last edited:
suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Try to stop playing cash games for a while because there will obviously be swings because of variance and when you start losing repeatedly it starts becoming a habit a bad one but a habit nonetheless and you feel like you can't win for a consistent period anymore.

Instead you can start concentrating on sit n go's for a while. Always play managing your bankroll whether it is cash games or tournaments. It can be the most difficult thing to do but you got to motivate yourself somehow to always follow bankroll management. Cheers.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am getting tired of this rollercoaster! I load money into my account almost daily and I end up loose down to my last enery and win a little extra or back to even but then I am not satisfied with what i made I got to try and make more and end up loosing everything to where I have to make another load the next day... ughh. I really want to learn how to manage my bankroll. any tips?

What stakes are you playing? One of the hardest part for me is winning little amounts/ playing for little amounts.. It's almost boring to play for hours and win $5

However I wouldn't recommend moving up to meaningful stakes until you feel comfortable with your game and able to play at these stakes as the saying is "If you can't beat the Micro's you won't beat the higher stakes"

Even though it can be hard you have to look at your winnings as Big blinds and BI's for cash games and ROI for tournaments it's much better to think I'm up 3 Buy-Ins then I'm up 6 bucks or I finished with a 125% ROI then I won $4.75 in a MTT..

Poker takes a lot of patience and commitment/ hard work. don't quote me on this but I believe that only 5-12% of poker players are winners long term so it's not something that is just going to happen overnight. Stick with it stick with Cardschat play in the free rolls, the real money games and any games you can with CC members. For example I occasionally play HU games with Bluffmeallin and after he gets done crying we play again and again.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learn the sport aspect of poker. This allows you to play the game, not treat it like a gamble.

Agree with this. You need to love the game more than gambling for money. I'd suggest starting out from $0 and playing freerolls instead of depositing to help you respect and learn the game better. You have to realise that $0.01 > $0.00 and even $0.00 is certainly more than -$100. What position would you rather be in long term?

The game will not care about how much money you throw at it. It will reward you slowly and eventually when you make better decisions. Gambling for the rush isn't the optimal play.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I differ a bit then some. Personally, I wouldn't recommend freerolls as a way to seriously learn from your mistakes. A lot of people who play these, don't play the way they normally would had they had any money actually invested.

Even if it is only a $1 tournament, you have something invested and will probably play much more serious than having nothing invested.

What others said.... read more books. The more you read, the more you can adapt and learn. Once you have read a few and feel like you are starting to get some concepts, the best way to practice is to play.

Bankroll Management. Key. I lack this unfortunately, and that is why I also have had HUGE swings with online rolls. Take it from me, your 90% hand is going to lose 1-10 times. It SUCKS when its your entire roll on the table and the 1 time hits!!!

_____

Read. Deposit. BRM. Review your play and post on the forums with questions you have.

Good luck!

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're not winning at whatever levels you're playing, there may well be more wrong with you than just poor BRM. It may also be the case that you simply don't have enough game. If so, poor BRM makes it worse, but good BRM isn't the answer; it will just help you lose more slowly.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I differ a bit then some. Personally, I wouldn't recommend freerolls as a way to seriously learn from your mistakes. A lot of people who play these, don't play the way they normally would had they had any money actually invested.

Actually Carl, you don't differ all that much from one of the two approaches for 'learning' poker. There has emerged, over my years here, 2 distinct groups who advocate 2 distinct approaches.

1...the DON'T waste you time playing play chip poker group.

vs

2..the There is an awful lot you can learn for free via play chips group.

I would belong to that 2nd group. I am a tourney player primarily. I was playing bridge for free on the internet before I started with poker online. The cheap entertainment was more alluring than any promise of riches OLP might provide. I had already experienced sharks at live poker many years before and knew there was danger in them thar waters. When I found out about play chips and freerolls, I figured I could finally afford to learn poker properly.

If not for play chip poker, I would NEVER have deposited real money to learn the game. My finances dictated that, perhaps if my finances were much better I might have dabbled for entertainment purposes, but I have always been frugal, so maybe not.

What I have seen over my years here, and the numerous discussion on the merit of Real vs Play money poker, is that many of the cash folks continually bring up that 'You've got to have something at stake' argument. At its heart is that you have to learn to deal with the scared money aspect of poker. A valid concern for sure, especially if you have deposited over and over and over again, or have mortgaged the house prematurely to get in a big game. You absolutely will be faced with how you learned to deal with scared money.

Freerollers OTOH, usually never had to deal with the scared money thing. They approached the game as sport and entertainment and while they learned certain aspects of the game slower than those who paid repeatedly via depositing over and over and over, they did eventually learn all those aspect of the game.

So, IMHO, it is unwise to knock free poker as a waste of time. We freerollers can fight back laughing at you for all that wasted money deposited over and over and over again.;)

Bottom line is that the game is enjoyable, or should be, at whatever stakes you play. At the free stakes, pride is the currency.

Faust

Faust

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its simple, you are playing everyday poker. You have to be lucid to play, and unfortunately in reality lucidity can't be achieved in habits, but sometimes. And those sometimes mean that in the time before you probably lost all your money. I've played whole weeks everyday and i have also played just one or two days in a week. Simply using the second technique ihad better results. It's just a matter of following your intelligence. Even though you already loss money take a break, do sports, concentrate on something else, so when you come back to poker you come with intelligence again.

JustDestined

JustDestined

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When I used to play stud every day at the Trop in AC I used to have the problem of not knowing when to get up and walk away. I started to do this.. whatever my buy in was for the table I would play until it was cut in half or I doubled it($100 buy in play until I hit $50 or $200 and get up and leave) once I started doing this I started seeing much more profit. Not saying this is the thing to do for online poker but just having yourself a set of guidelines definitely seems to help in cash games.

strodawg

strodawg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone! Those are all great tips and this won't be the only time I read over this thread. I will be reading it several times. I will take the play money into consideration for the tilt aspect. I never thought of it that way. I always thought of it as not real poker cause of all the shoves dicking around. But I have been getting into the freerolls on Black chip poker they have them every hour almost.