Understanding the blocking bet

nabmom

nabmom

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So here's a concept I had some trouble with. I've heard it referenced in poker videos and hand analysis, but I didn't really grasp the concept (nor have I consistently done this).

The general definition is that a blocking bet is a postflop action, when you are out of position (i.e., first to act). You bet, usually a small amount, with the intention of keeping your opponent, in position, from making a larger bet.

What do you consider the strategy behind a blocking bet? Do you do this? In what situations? How successful is it for you?

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imo it's for information, if my opponent flats my blocker bet I might think my let's say middle pair is good, if he comes barreling over the top I might buy into his story and just lay my hand down, it's basically just blocking your opponent from controlling the pot.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Imo it's for information, if my opponent flats my blocker bet I might think my let's say middle pair is good, if he comes barreling over the top I might buy into his story and just lay my hand down, it's basically just blocking your opponent from controlling the pot.

I like that. Good answer.

G

GWU73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people use them when drawing, in hopes that you will just call their small bet. I tend to raise when I see one.

loafes

loafes

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many people use them when drawing, in hopes that you will just call their small bet. I tend to raise when I see one.

This.

The problem with blocking bets is that you're basically turning your hand strength face up and unfortunately that strength happens to be weak. against competent players you'll be raised quite often which is why you dont see it very often in higher stakes games.

In wont go as far as to say they are always bad, but definitely not something you should be doing regularly. I usually raise blocking bets a with a pretty high frequency.

ringworm

ringworm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see this a lot with straight and flush draws, and I almost always raise when someone bets into me like this as long as I have the big pair I'm representing. Beware the "weak lead" which is where a strong hand like a set will lead out with a small bet hoping to get raised.

L

LornaMurray

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this a lot with straight and flush draws, and I almost always raise when someone bets into me like this as long as I have the big pair I'm representing. Beware the "weak lead" which is where a strong hand like a set will lead out with a small bet hoping to get raised.

Nice answer.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to use the blocking bet (i.e. making a minimum bet when I am out of position to keep later players from making a bigger bet). I try to mix it up and use it a lot against players that fold often (when I am on a draw), or use it to induce a raise (against agressive players when I have hit trips or a very strong hand).

LD1977

LD1977

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most people using this are severely unbalanced and easily exploited.

Correct default reaction is to raise such bets 100% of the time until it turns out unwise. It is important to find a "pain threshold" of the player who tries it ;)

A

AKBugatti47

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I just figure its throwing some money out there so someone after you calls instead of betting a higher price
So here's a concept I had some trouble with. I've heard it referenced in poker videos and hand analysis, but I didn't really grasp the concept (nor have I consistently done this).

The general definition is that a blocking bet is a postflop action, when you are out of position (i.e., first to act). You bet, usually a small amount, with the intention of keeping your opponent, in position, from making a larger bet.

What do you consider the strategy behind a blocking bet? Do you do this? In what situations? How successful is it for you?

alittlepoker

alittlepoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think players will make this bet with mid pairs i dont like the bb in most players i can cost you lots of chips but it can work if the timing is right

Alexsandr Kononov

Alexsandr Kononov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blocking rate is a tool that is used at the lower limits . The purpose of blocking bet is two things: in an effort to get to showdown or a cheap desire to see the turn or river . The main problem with the blocking bet is that it is fairly obvious to other players. There are many different techniques that will work at the lower limits , but will not work on high ,Blocking is best used when you are trying to get to showdown cheaply. If you have a weak hand , with which you are afraid of being beaten , but you are sure that a little blocking rate could slow the pace . Blocking rate in effect allow you to set your own price hand. If the other players you call, you will lose as much as themselves decided . If they equalize your bet , then you gain a small victory and be able to avoid complex solutions on the river (if checked and put opponents ) .