Trips vs Full house

D

djcase00

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good day all. This is my first post here after lurking for like forever. However, I believe I had quite an uncommon occurrence happen to me twice today in the lower stakes. I didnt save the hand history cause I was quite astonished and a bit stunned the two times it happened. However, do know that both times I was all in by the river. And the second time I knew exactly what beat me but i still couldnt fold. The situation is a s follows...

If hero flops trips and the villain flops a full house and you know the only thing that beats you by the river is a full house, would you fold to an all in?

Or is flopping a full house such an uncommon event you probably wouldnt fold. Oh yeh and first time I had an Ace kicker and the second time a King.

Thanks people

PapaC

PapaC

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new here too and I don't have many answers about what you have ask, but I do know that the players here that can answer it are going to say they need more info. One thing I can say though since I been playing online 12 years now, flopping a full house happens quite often. So I hope some of these other players will come and answer this for you. Keep posting and you will receive answers

M

MAX101

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To flop trips with an A or K kicker lol ,I would have called any allin or I would have gone allin myself, to tell the truth, I can't remember the last time I flopped a boat, or seen anyone else flop one, so all I can say, I'm right behind you, I would have played the hand the same as you :D but yea anytime that the board hits a pair there is a good possibility of someone hitting a boat!!!

Last edited:
dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Trips are a potentially dangerous hand for that reason, and one should always proceed with caution when a player is aggressively playing back on a paired board. With experience and good reads, trips can be an easy fold.

Trips are not as strong as a set (despite some people *incorrectly* using the terms interchangeably) and must be played very differently. Without a detailed hand history to describe the action in the hands you mention, we really can't tell you if you should have folded or not.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Something similar happened to me recently, I had AQ and the flop was QAQ and I was very happy to get it in good especially since the villain limped into the hand, iirc I jammed the flop only to see him turn over AA for the higher FH.

I don't think there was a way of me getting out of that one.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If hero flops trips and the villain flops a full house and you know the only thing that beats you by the river is a full house, would you fold to an all in?

I hope so. Reminds me of this hand from wsop 2013:

D

djcase00

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the feedback people. Will be more cautious in future situations such as these.
WRT to vid. Interesting to see WSOP level people encountering my micro level problem.

Mase31683

Mase31683

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Zorba rocking the underfull and getting it in like a donk ;)

C

CubsnBearz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion there is a huge difference in how you might perceive your hand strength (trips) on a flop depending on the quality of cards that appear:
If you draw your trips with a pre-flop hand of KA and a flop of KK10 or something of that magnitude, you should be more wary of a full house possibility than if you had say a pre-flop hand of KK and a flop of K107. In the first hand there is that chance of the opponent having a full house, and while he either needs K10, 1010 to have that hand, he is more likely to have a full house on a high card flop rather than a flop say of K53, as In the second hand you are obviously ahead and should assume so. If he's calling you all in on a hand like that he's either bluffing hard (dangerous board to do that on) or has a made hand. I would have played it the same as you though, you had the odds, and unless you had a great read on your opponent, you should just play it all-in on equity.

taban13

taban13

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So sometimes it is. You just have to put up with it and play on. Distance will give back and in your favor.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something similar happened to me recently, I had AQ and the flop was QAQ and I was very happy to get it in good especially since the villain limped into the hand, iirc I jammed the flop only to see him turn over AA for the higher FH.

I don't think there was a way of me getting out of that one.

Folding a full house like that no way.

I have tried severel times that there is a raise all-in before me, knowing only one card or the correct two card combination could beat my hand.

And of course this card in correct colour is on the other hand.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It also depend on your ability to read your opponent.If you good a good read on your opponent it will help you a lot in making the decision.