Stud8 (Stud H/L) Question

C

ChurchSkiz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have a noob question about Stud H/L. I was playing for the first time and the rules I read said that you're lowest low wins the low side. I took that as 8,7,6,5,A beats 6,5,4,3,2. Am I wrong? The reason I ask is that I just lost a pot, villain's low was:

mine was:

8,7,6,4,A

so is it your lowest low that wins or your lowest high?

Or Another example:

Which wins: 8,4,3,2,A or 6,5,4,3,2?

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is the lowest cards. So on your example you both have 8,7. The next card is a 5 for your opponent and a 6 for you. His 5 is lower thereby he wins. it doesn't matter what is under that. You lost the low hand on your 3rd card.

On the one with the 8 vs the 6 the 6 wins.

JupeZ

JupeZ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay so you draw for low.
8743A vs 8732A
1st we see who has higher "5th card for low" both have 8!
Okay then we see 4th cards ... 7 and 7 ... again same :(
3rd one is 4 vs 3 ! 3 is lower than 4 so 8732A wins.

Using same system 87654 vs 5432A.
8 < 5 ... 5432A wins there.

5432A is the best low hand u can get :) (A represents "1")

bubbasbestbabe

bubbasbestbabe

Suckout Queen
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Correct. For the low. But top hand overall would be 5432A suited for scooping the pot.

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yupyup...many assume that just because they have an ace in their hand that they can instantly qualify for the ulitmate low, but really it usually comes down to one of your middle cards being lower. Goes from you highest low card down, not your lowest high card up...

thats' just maddening the unhelpful

C

ChurchSkiz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
ok thanks, so basically it is not your lowest low that wins (Ace) but your lowest High card (8,7,6,or 5).

I would think it's the other way around since in high poker your highest high wins. Figured it would be the lowest low for low poker.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ok thanks, so basically it is not your lowest low that wins (Ace) but your lowest High card (8,7,6,or 5).

I would think it's the other way around since in high poker your highest high wins. Figured it would be the lowest low for low poker.
Gotta love peeps who try to learn on the fly... more expensive than looking up the rules, but more fun for us hi lo veterans... word of advice: Before jumping into omaha, or razz, etc., look up the rules and strategy!

Bicycle A2345s is yr best hand.

C

ChurchSkiz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my defense, I looked up the rules on 3 different web sites, all 3 said the lowest low card wins and none had any examples like the hands I lost with. The first 2 were the first google responses for hi/lo and the other was Wikipedia.

Makwa

Makwa

Undesirable Predator
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my defense, I looked up the rules on 3 different web sites, all 3 said the lowest low card wins and none had any examples like the hands I lost with. The first 2 were the first google responses for hi/lo and the other was Wikipedia.
Any citations would help, I think you are confused. I have never heard "the lowest low card wins" anywhere in any game.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Ouch. Be interesting if you could find the links again, because they're definitely wrong - like Makwa says, I don't think there's any variant where they start from the lowest card.

Makes sense if you think about it, because if it went from the lowest low card then just having one ace could make yours a powerhouse hand, even if you were holding garbage to go with it. Poker, whether high or low, is a five-card game.

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, just get in the habit of reading lows from highest to lowest. So if your 5 card low hand is 7532A, then you say "I have a seven, five low".