straight or flush ?

luizmarinho

luizmarinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Flush worth more but isnt harder to hit a straight than a flush ? What about the probably of both ?

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game actually seems easier to collect flash and more often than Straight. I sometimes comes to mind that these combinations are equivalent.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probability of getting a flush is 3% and a straight is 4%, therefor the ranking of who wins puts the flush ahead of the straight (ie if lower percent probability, then less likely to get this hand).
But, after the flop, to make a flush; you usually have 9 outs (36%) but to make a straight - you have only 8 outs (32%). SO YES, after the flop, it is easier to make a flush.
What makes the math probabilities work like this, is that there are many more combinations of pocket cards that will make a straight compared to those that will make a flush.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Probabilities of getting a flush verses probability of drawing to your flush

Probability of getting a flush is 3% and a straight is 4%, therefor the ranking of who wins puts the flush ahead of the straight (ie if lower percent probability, then less likely to get this hand).
But, after the flop, to make a flush; you usually have 9 outs (36%) but to make a straight - you have only 8 outs (32%). SO YES, after the flop, it is easier to make a flush.
What makes the math probabilities work like this, is that there are many more combinations of pocket cards that will make a straight compared to those that will make a flush.

luizmarinho

luizmarinho

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

alright, thank you. :)

debriz

debriz

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like math, you can do nothing if what card comes up next in Turn and River. Therefore I can say if you have flush draw on the flop or straight draw on the flop, 52 cards in a deck including the dealt cards, just count your outs, if you believe will come out, so be it..and if you feel you get lucky seize the day!
Example in a Tournament, one player accidentally exposed his folded one card (8h), and you hold 8,8, and one player goes all in with a better image on him but folding pocket eights is a tough decision(heads up). The problem is you only have one outer to get a strong hand if ever he's ahead of you.But despite of it you still gamble pocket eights as you feel thats your lucky and believe you wil win that hand and the board goes 5,7,A,6,9 against AA. All I can say is, Thats poker! No assurance at all. Even you fully know about poker calculations you can do nothing if will come out or not, unless you have great skill of bluffing.

C

capara20

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
according to probability, flush is harder.

intuitively speaking, in a straight you can mix colors, but for a flush this is another not-likely constraint.

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Both of this combinations are very strong, if you have a straight or a flush, as usual it is a nuts, but i like flush more, cause if my opponent hits a straight and there are 3 suited cards on the board (that gives me a flush), he will never know that I have a flush (I think) and he will loose his stack, maybe if I would have straight, I woud loose too in this situation.

Full Flush Poker