Rake explanation

L

LittleRatBag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I am currently playing .8/.16 cash on pokerstars.
Could anyone explain to me how the rake works?
I realise that each pot has a certain % taken for rake, but the questions I have are:
1.. Is the rake for each pot capped to a certain amount, or is it a set %age reardless of pot size?
2.. What is the %age?
3.. Is it the same %age of rake at each level? or does the %age drop the higher you play?
4.. Are the vpps awarded in relation to rake paid by me or rake taken at my table? e.g. If I am not involved in a hand to showdown do I not receive vpp's for that hand?

I know some of the questions might be specific to pokerstars, but if anyone could answer any of the questions I would be grateful.

Cheers.

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1. It's a set % but capped at a certain amount, which depends on the number of player in the hand.
2. 4.5% at 16nl
3. No it's lower at 2nl and 5nl
4. vpps are awarded based on your contribution to the pot (the rake you paid). Pretty sure that if you have contributed post flop you will receive vpps based on your contribution even if you don't get to showdown

L

LittleRatBag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks.

Thanks MM, that's just what I wanted to know.
If the rake percentage differs between 2&5nl and 16nl, does it differ between other levels? and if so, would it be worthwhile considering when moving up a level? for example wait longer if rake is higher, move up sooner if it's lower?

micromachine

micromachine

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No it's 4.5% from 10nl upwards but you do pay much less rake at higher stakes because 1) the max rake cap doesn't increase proportionally to the blinds with increasing levels and 2) you get much more back through the VIP system at higher levels because you pay more rake and attain gold/platinum/SN more easily

http://www.pokerstars.com/poker/room/rake/

L

LittleRatBag

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks

Thanks very much mate, very useful information.
I had looked on stars, but for some reason could not find that page.