Protecting BB

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How often and with what range of cards is good to protect your big blind?

I feel that this is one of the most crucial spots to be in since you already have some chips committed and it is most likely where you could lose most of your money.

I would like some advice on BB preflop strategy.

Thanks!

Lets say you are in a tournament, there is a mint raise and villain has been pretty aggressive the whole game. It isnt quite close to bubble but as you know all chips matter. Recently, I have been calling with K5s +if everyone else has folded and its just me and the guy headsup. what do you think? (im out of post so I can only edit to answer....)

Last edited:
Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The only answer I feel I can give you is 'it depends'. There's many different scenarios where I'll be playing differently from BB.

First off, in what situation are you asking about? (ie. is this tournament play (if so, how deep), cash game, etc. Vs. what type of villain)

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to answer that question BUT with a qualifier that you are late in a tournament and blind steals are very important. I would fold most raises unless I had high suited connectors or one of the AA,KK,AK pocket cards. If I get one of these starting cards, I'm going to play it very aggressively and try to get my opponent to fold.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's funny how people seem so reluctant to play hands from the SB and BB when in a lot of cases some of my biggest wins have come from hands in this position. From the BB or SB I'll usually play any face card (Q2, K5, J3) etc; suited or unsuited and any gapped/ungapped connector like 46,79, etc; to try and see a flop for free, but I will only do it if i'm getting the right odds to call, such as 3/1 minimum.

If blinds are 1/2

V1 raises to 6
V2 calls
V3 calls

everyone else folds

I'm sitting in the small blind 18 in the pot, and it only costs me 5 to call. If I'm holding Q7 offsuit and the flop doesn't come my way I can just fold, but sometimes you can always hit three of a kind or even better in this situation 2 pair which no one will suspect you have.