Preflop bet 3x BB + every limper..

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't want to become one of these newbies that makes a trillion threads a day - if there was a chat room I'd go there to throw tiny questions out without cluttering a forum, so apologies, this should be my last for... a few days

http://www.pokerology.com/lessons/bet-sizing/

That page says that it is advisable preflop to bet 3x BB +1 for every limper.

However surely that is a tactic that only works if you are in late position and nobody has raised? And how likely is that?

So how can anybody apply this method?

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not necessarily a strategy that works only at late position.

Suppose UTG limps and you are +1 so now if you want to raise you apply the rule for 1 limper and raise 4 bigs. Nothing rocket science in this one - plain and simple. :icon_albi

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is not necessarily a strategy that works only at late position.

Suppose UTG limps and you are +1 so now if you want to raise you apply the rule for 1 limper and raise 4 bigs. Nothing rocket science in this one - plain and simple. :icon_albi

You're right, I suppose it was the word 'every' limper but yeah actually that makes sense, thinking about it...

Thanks!!

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
well of course that this tactic, if it can be called tactic, only works if no one raised in fron of you, if the pot is raised you need to 3 bet if you want to raise him, and you do that 2.5-3x size of his opening, or you just call his raise and play IP against him post flop.

The point of what you were asking about was the opening bet size, when is jour time to act and you want to raise you set 3bb size if the pot is unopened or if its already limped you add 1 bb for each limper already in pot. So actually its only not working when you're UTG because there cant be limpers in front of you. There is a slight addition to the rule for adding one bb more if you will play the hand OOP (out of position) post flop... for example you are in SB, co and btn limped so there are 2 limpers in front of you and if you want to raise you should raise 3bb+2bb+1bb=6bb 3bb is original bet size, 2 bb is for 2 limpers before you and additinal 1bb is because you will play that hand OOP post flop...

D

dannywho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Isn't it because raising 3 bb + q for every limpers will make it unprofitable for the limpers in the long run or am I wrong?