playing scared

curly

curly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I made my initial deposit over at Carbon right around December of last year and it was for 25 dollars. Micro stakes is all I play and they are all mostly STT SNG, with my current work load I average about 1 tournament a week. The problem is this 25 dollar deposit I made has now dwindled all the way down to 3 bucks.

It seems now whenever I hit the tables, I am playing scared.

Do you think I should just deposit some more money into my account or should I try to keep playing with what I have?

besides the 3 bucks I did pick up a win in a step n go giving me a 5.50 coupon into entry for a step 2.

If I go all the way back to when I first started playing online poker, this will be the second time I have had to deposit a second time. It would be nice if I could just learn to put this out of my head at get back on my game.

Has this happened to anyone else here?

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey curly, I will start by saying a big "YES", this is an obstacle I too am trying to overcome is thinking about previous losses and trying to get them back as quick as I can. Always put me further in the hole however.

Unfortunately sometimes it is very difficult to get previous loses out of your head when playing, and it keeps you from being able to play your A game when playing on scared money. Let me just say, if you have only come close to loosing 100$ playing poker online you are doing much better than I ever did.

I stepped into playing poker way to early and without much to any knowledge, played a live home tourny to learn the game and then stepped into a deposit online. As much as I love playing to game I honestly which I had thought harder about what I was doing and actually do some further research and studying on poker before jumping in.

Needless to say, there were many other deposits that followed. Also there were a number of times when having made a deposit and running it up that would always keep thinking about how much I was down and so would continue to play trying to get it all back, instead should have cashed out a chunk of it so that would have been making some progress on the amount I was down.

All I can say is that right now I am finally focusing more on my game and improving, rather than getting back the money I have lost (obviously that is still in the back of my head, but try not to think about it). It is gone unfortunately and if thinking about it is affecting my game then need to work on that obviously just like any other part of your game.

I would certainly suggest you play the micro stt sng's and play as solid as you can, don't think about what you have lost but just focus on the prize in the game and playing your A game. Definitely make a run at getting that 3$ back up if you can before looking at depositing further, but that is just my opinion unless of course making a deposit is not a big issue and it will allow you to focus better having a br to manage then perhaps that would be the best decision you could make. Perhaps you should see if you can play a stt with the 5.50 coupon?

All the best on the journy, its not the easiest for sure but just think of the money lost as just that lost, and focus on improving the game as the $$ will come back eventually if you can turn your game around to be winning.

Thanks,
bluff

curly

curly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey curly, I will start by saying a big "YES", this is an obstacle I too am trying to overcome is thinking about previous losses and trying to get them back as quick as I can. Always put me further in the hole however.

Unfortunately sometimes it is very difficult to get previous loses out of your head when playing, and it keeps you from being able to play your A game when playing on scared money. Let me just say, if you have only come close to loosing 100$ playing poker online you are doing much better than I ever did.

I stepped into playing poker way to early and without much to any knowledge, played a live home tourny to learn the game and then stepped into a deposit online. As much as I love playing to game I honestly which I had thought harder about what I was doing and actually do some further research and studying on poker before jumping in.

Needless to say, there were many other deposits that followed. Also there were a number of times when having made a deposit and running it up that would always keep thinking about how much I was down and so would continue to play trying to get it all back, instead should have cashed out a chunk of it so that would have been making some progress on the amount I was down.

All I can say is that right now I am finally focusing more on my game and improving, rather than getting back the money I have lost (obviously that is still in the back of my head, but try not to think about it). It is gone unfortunately and if thinking about it is affecting my game then need to work on that obviously just like any other part of your game.

I would certainly suggest you play the micro stt sng's and play as solid as you can, don't think about what you have lost but just focus on the prize in the game and playing your A game. Definitely make a run at getting that 3$ back up if you can before looking at depositing further, but that is just my opinion unless of course making a deposit is not a big issue and it will allow you to focus better having a br to manage then perhaps that would be the best decision you could make. Perhaps you should see if you can play a stt with the 5.50 coupon?

All the best on the journy, its not the easiest for sure but just think of the money lost as just that lost, and focus on improving the game as the $$ will come back eventually if you can turn your game around to be winning.

Thanks,
Bluff

Thank You for the advice, and I apologize for posting this in the wrong place as I see it got moved. Although making another deposit certainly won't break me or anything, I agree with you and will follow your advice. I feel like simply making another deposit will not solve this problem I have, in fact, if I can turn this tiny bankroll into something useful it will do wonders for my confidence and make me a more skilled player.

The first time I had to reload my bankroll was way back when pokerstars was still running for real money games for U.S. players like myself and I didn't let my roll even get this low, it worked for awhile, but ultimately here I am on the verge of going bust. Since those days, obviously a lot has changed and so has the player pool, especially for the U.S. players, so hopefully I can adjust my game and focus more on my play and less on the money end of it. I also realize players have lost a ton more money then I have playing poker, so I really shouldn't focus on the losses so much.

P

PlayedYou73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd just deposit more rather than trying to grind your way up from $3. It 'can' sometimes be done, but if your confidence is broken, than it's an uphill battle.

25 dollars is about 2.5 fast food combos or just another 10 trips to starbucks. It's not that much relatively speaking. If 100-200 is too much, then you should look at your overall situation and the reasons you like playing poker.

curly

curly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish I had the time to play more, but with a full time job and the family stuff I want to do it seems hard for me to try and put in more volume. I sure don't play a lot these days so I guess you could call me a recreational player. In case your wondering why I'm always at the micro stakes, it's because I have never profited enough to move up a level.

A deposit size like 100-200 is more then I would personally like to put in only because I feel like if I'm going to consider myself a descent player I should be able to crush the micro stakes before I move up a level, in other words I should be able to build a decent size roll with a minimum deposit, at least that's how I feel about it.

SyKoChiller

SyKoChiller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's a personal judgment call and depends on your finances. A while back I was in the same situation on Bovada and had a $5 TT, I used the ticket to enter a large field GTD tourney, placed 3rd and won almost $500, so anything is possible! Within 24 hours I took my account from around $3 to over $700! One of my post from a few months ago has the screen shots of this for proof.
Personally I would wait it out on the deposit and see if you can turn it around. No sense losing even more money if your in a slump, but like I said at the beginning its your choice.

A

aznman08

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its happened to me as well. The best way to look at it is more like an investment. If you're more comfortable and won't affect yourself financially, I would save up some money and make a deposit.

For your step 2 ticket, try to have your mindset in that you're playing to win to step 3.

_FISHFEET81_

_FISHFEET81_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey curly, I think this is a pretty common thing on the online scene. It has happened to me on several occasions, ill also win and build somewhat of a roll then just run real bad. I think you should just deposit another 25 bucks or so and play. Remember practice makes perfect once a week doesn't sound like to much poker but who knows anything can happen. I wish you luck and keep trying to build that roll. Don't play scared

stevenright

stevenright

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i usually deposit on stars with the '100k' bonus code so i could play the whole month of those freerolls even if i lose my deposit

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends on what your goal is. If you just want to play for fun sake then just keep playing with what you have. If you want to earn a living from it then like any business you will have to invest more and study more.