S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have a love hate relationship with pocket Jacks it may sound crazy but sometimes i prefer to get dealt 7-2 then JJ simply because I know what im going to do with 7-2 (Throw it into the muck) The only time I like having JJ is when people fold to my pre flop raise or I hit a set. It seems whenever I have JJ the Aces, Kings and Queens come out to play and usually 2 of em at a time. The jacks are right in between the ranges of monster and Marginal hand and they usually like to make there appearence when your in early posistion and even UTG. What are your thoughts on Jacks and how do you play them from different posistions?

hobonc

hobonc

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A lot depends on the sitution and the players at the table. In general, it's save to say I don't get too excited by them.

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a love hate relationship with pocket Jacks it may sound crazy but sometimes i prefer to get dealt 7-2 then JJ simply because I know what im going to do with 7-2 (Throw it into the muck) The only time I like having JJ is when people fold to my pre flop raise or I hit a set. It seems whenever I have JJ the Aces, Kings and Queens come out to play and usually 2 of em at a time. The jacks are right in between the ranges of monster and Marginal hand and they usually like to make there appearence when your in early posistion and even UTG. What are your thoughts on Jacks and how do you play them from different posistions?
lol... I am with you 100%..... JJ means DANGER !!!!! ;) Shoulda kept that secret. Even though it takes major discipline to fold JJ... Its not easy for me. :)

TakMits

TakMits

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i usually play them the same way if i had pocket tens

dooydoo

dooydoo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By default getting them in pre is a mistake imo. Just flat call most of the time and 3b them if you know the pfr will call a lot with worse. If you get 3b theres nothing wrong with folding them pre depending on position and player

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends on position and whats goin on. If im late with no raises ill bet 3 times blind. Call anything 3 blinds or less, and fold anythig more.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just treat them as a medium pair,dont hang your house on them..

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what I learned here over the years:
theres 3 ways to play JJ, and they're all wrong!!

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just treat them as a medium pair,dont hang your house on them..

Agreed. JJ looks better than it really is. Play them pretty much like you would 88 through 10 10. It's perfectly fine to raise and/or re-raise preflop with them if conditions warrant. But if you don't connect, danger awaits down the road, so be careful.

Tinie107

Tinie107

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your first to act raise slightly more than you usually would as let's face it nobody wants to see a flop with the damn things! If you get a call or two and the flop comes low cards then your most likely ahead unless somebody decided to slowplay an even better pair or just got lucky with a straight or two pair etc. If it comes out with two overcards give up!

C

cloudyeyes

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ is a good pre-flop hand and a good hand if no face cards are showing (Q and above). It's push-able pre-flop, but only on smaller tables and cash games. If you're in a 9 seated tourny, it's another story, since freak accidents are more likely to happen.

B

Blue_Fossil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a JJ story for you...

2nd hand of a 5$ single table SNG yesterday. I'm UTG+4 with JJ. Everyone folds to me. Blinds are 10/20, so I raise to 60. Button calls, then the BB makes a big re-raise to 500.

Since it's only the 2nd hand, I've got no reads. Typically when I see a big over-bet like this, I think low to mid pocket pair and the guy wants no callers. I think I'm ahead, but not sure. I decide to fold because I simply don't want to risk a third of my stack in this situation - and because as we've said in this thread, JJ is often "Fool's Gold".

Button folds as well...BB shows....JJ. :mad:

Oh well...the BB was the first to get knocked out of the game and I cashed, finishing 3rd.

fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally love seeing JJ pre. Much rather have that than 7 2.....

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe this will help to play it properly
Hav fun
mfg psychotie

F

Flsnookman

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
well even though knowing that jacks lose 87% of the time i would still call minimum raise due to the fact it has the same 1-8 chance of hitting a set that might put you at the top of the food chain because your set is disguised
I have never heard the 87% stat...sarcasm? Anyway imho play JJ the same as 99 and 10 10, raise if you plan on playing them pre flop. This will save you money in the long run as you can dump em if you get a big reraise and if you only get called you can put other player on ace rag or another mid-small pp. Good luck.

dino

dino

10 cevapcici = 0 stress
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
lol, JJ & QQ are my least favorite hand, win small or lose big on both of those hands.... if I dont play them very carefully

S

smidjet

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
kinda of funny really . its poker there is no 1 way to play any hand although in the AA post many seemed to think there is. my thoughts are the same with any hand and that is simply IT DEPENDS.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I fear getting Aces and Kings more then Jacks, AA and KK are harder to fold then Jacks. ;)

TrailerPark

TrailerPark

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
JJ reminds me of cold nasty oatmeal they used to feed us in the orphanage sometime you have no choice but to eat it:)

D

dead homie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
people always say they hate jj but call every street, never fold even when ace flops then complain it lost. if you hate it fold it preflop and be done with it.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Have you heard of the saying..:

What do you have? i have Jack S**T. Well...... you know where that came from.

vinylspiros

vinylspiros

PIRANHA-------->< (((º>
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
JJ reminds me of cold nasty oatmeal they used to feed us in the orphanage sometime you have no choice but to eat it:)
++1 hahahhahahaha nice one man.