New to studying poker

F

Frederick Melms

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am a little below a break even player. I would probably be break even if I were a little more disciplined. I play micro NL and low steaks hold em tournaments. The only studying I've ever done was reading Kill Everyone, so I would like to know where I should start studying? I looked around for a study plan but I couldn't find one so if anyone knows of one a link to that thread would be great.

shomy21

shomy21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have a lot of books for begginers but for fast studying for me the good choice is pokerstars online school. They have a lot of lessons for cashc games, mutli tables tournaments and others...

J

jigglypuff99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'd say to try to drink in as much as possible on here, try to read as much relevant information as possible.

L

lukeellul92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1 for the Pokerstars online school. Free, it covers Multi table tournaments, Cash games, Sit n go's and single table tournaments, as well as bankroll management, teaches you about position etc etc.

I've done the online school, and it got me to a decent point where I actualyl played smarter and started making money. However now I feel like I'm ready for the next step in poker, and am looking into advanced reading.

Short version: Pokerstars online school as a bare minimum, then once you're comfortable with that, get a book thats more advanced / focused on 1 single game type (Tournament play, cash game etc)

A

AKBugatti47

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forums, books, videos, analyze your gameplay, watch the pros

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
harrington's books on tourneys volumes 1, 2, and 3 would probably be a very good place to start....i like the fact that each section has a quiz to test your understanding of the material.

I would advise that you actively try to employ what you learn from the book at the tables. You should pl;ay some poker every day too: gaps in your play can result in you becoming out of touch with how the game is played at present (i.e. you have to re-learn a lot of things if you stay away from the table too long).

Good Luck

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Forums, books, videos, analyze your gameplay, watch the pros

I'd agree with the first four, but strongly disagree with the last one. The pros are playing a different game than the low stakes beginner. In my experience there are a few 2nd level players and very few third level players, The pros are playing at 5th and 6th levels and it will just confuse you.

I liked the Harrington books, but they are a little dated.

M

Martinosky11

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been playing around few years, and if i could find that time an awesome tool as following players on twitch.tv for free, i could had saved time and $. So go and learn and have fun watching.

M

money677

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
poker can be difficult read as much about the game as possible

C

cis77

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
learning by playing, do something crazy, mix your game up, after all it's gambling, even with bad cards you can, do not always play the same way. try something out at a low stake

S

Smoola

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do you play mostly online micro-stakes NLHE on Bovada?

F

floweryhead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree about PokerSchool Online and all the harrington books both the cash series and the tournament books they give you a really good starting point. PSO is great and free. I attend as many of the training classes as I can. I'm mainly a limit player so it's nice to have a better understanding of the No Limit players. On top of that they have a league each month in which you get to play against a lot of the same players , who, in turn also attend the PSO Live trainings so you can get feedback on your play from people you've played against... what's to lose?