New Player - When to invest in a HEM?

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all:

I am a relatively new player starting in nl2. I was wondering when do you think an appropriate time to invest in HEM?

twoturntablez

twoturntablez

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As soon as possible. As soon as you can afford it. I dont know anywhere near as much as I should about it and the things it can do as I should but its such an important tool for progessing in my opinion. I'll never regret buying it and it help me to think about my game much more easily as well as keep up with your opponents whilst multitabling.

Y

YardMan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You can get HEM on a free trial also same with Poker Tracker 4, so nothing to lose.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, you'll likely find some dissention on here from some members who'll say you don't need it 'til later, but if you're going to take the game seriously at all you'll eventually need it. So, you might as well start sooner rather than later. Just make sure to try out both the free trials for HM2/PT4 before making your choice. Once you do get them, start with the basics and build from there.

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the response. I think Im going to try the demos first and then see how much it helps with the development of my poker game before I get real serious with it. Maybe its better just to focus on fundamental aspects of poker before I invest into HEM as I am just starting multi-tabling with 2nl.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the cost isn't an obstacle, then get it right away. Like tools in general, it won't be much help until you get your game to a level where you start to know how to use if appropriately, but it's not likely to hurt much either.

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guy. Just got a 60 day trial of PT3 for Mac. I am wondering however; what you use for your hud?

This is what I have set up so far:
-vpip
-PRF
-total aggression frequency
-c bet (flop)

anything else you think is important that I should add? I was thinking maybe fold to 3 bet %?

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i would wait until you have mastered 1 table.....hem's are good for when multi tabling.....but its critical to learn tell's and read opponents withough using holdem manager otherwise you will always be playing poker by numbers......which would be pretty lame.......personally i would ban huds as i think its cheating....but i also understand why people would use them while heavy multi tabling

JCgrind

JCgrind

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks guy. Just got a 60 day trial of PT3 for Mac. I am wondering however; what you use for your hud?

This is what I have set up so far:
-vpip
-PRF
-total aggression frequency
-c bet (flop)

anything else you think is important that I should add? I was thinking maybe fold to 3 bet %?

im probs the biggest multitabler here so this is what i use

name/totalhands/WTSD%
vpip/pfr/steal/fold2steal/3b/4b
aggF/Cbet/foldCbet/fold3bet/winnings

this gives me all the info i need to keep up at 16-20 6 max tables. then just use the popup for thinks like donkbet%, raise flop/turn/river%, etc theyre pretty much all the important ones imo

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
Join Carbon.they have a free HUD.This will give you a feel for how things work before you invest.
VPIP PFR and AF are important, some players change week to week though.
Realize also what you see pre-flop can change radically post-flop.

beanstalk

beanstalk

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get it immediately. Worth a couple hundred (in books and/or video training subscription) for the serious beginner. Tracking your play, reviewing hands (an equities by street), just priceless.

G

Goathair

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you can afford it, then you should get it asap. It's great for tracking your progress, graphs, stats, reviewing, leakfinding, etc

i started with PT, but ended up liking HM2 a bit better. I like the way the Apps like Leakbuster and Notecaddy are packaged in HM2. but really they are both very similar , and mainly just personal preference.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made a mistake and invested in HEM when I only had $100 bankroll by spending $55 for small stake version. But honestly, sooner you get, better it is. I've had it when I was grinding 30 cent Daily Dollar satellites.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get it, if and when you become serious. Or, when you decide you want to make money at the game. It's $100, that's a huge chunk of most peoples starting bankroll. If you don't know how to profit at the tables without a HUD, getting a HUD really won't help you much.

My advice- Don't get one, stick to playing fewer tables and try to develop your own concentration, writing notes etc, gaining experience. Don't get one until you know what it does, and what it can do for you(how to interpret stats). I really think people get HUDs because they know good players use them, and think it's some magical device that will instatly mean they will profit at the tables. It isn't, it's a guide, you still have to use your brain, unfortunately.

Remember, if you buy a HUD, be prepared to think about the other costs assosiated with using one correctly. There's a fair bit of time you need to put in, and also probably some coaching, or a training site to help you get the most out of it. So that $100, could easily turn into $2-400 if you also get coaching.

So you have to ask yourself, will i make this money back and then some? If not, then it's a wasted investment, you may as well have flushed that $100 down the toilet

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the response. I think Im going to try the demos first and then see how much it helps with the development of my poker game before I get real serious with it. Maybe its better just to focus on fundamental aspects of poker before I invest into HEM as I am just starting multi-tabling with 2nl.

Yeah, this. I missed it sorry. but that's pretty awesome thinking right there ;)

pocketehs

pocketehs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I did end up investing in PT3 which costed me about $50. I waited until I could get basics down like what hands to raise or call a raise with in specific positions as well as focusing on how each player at the table plays and taking notes on this for future hands. I also got a copy of BlackRains book to help with this and understanding how a HUD can improve your game which, has help A LOT.

I plan posting some of my stats to see where some of my leaks are however, one thing that I cant seem to find any information on is the gap between a VPIP and PFR. I thought that these were supposed to be close together. Mine is currently like 20/14. What does this mean for me as a player? From my understanding, I think it means Im relatively tight but Im pretty aggressive in pots. Any thoughts?