I would like to have some help

Miroslav_GG

Miroslav_GG

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, recently i started playing Poker (3 months already). I've watched 5 seasons of Poker After Dark and plenty videos of poker strategies, odds, outs and so on. So let's assume i am familiar with the game. But i have a few problems, which i am trying to solve by myself, but i can't.

The first one is, Im kinda 'addicted to bluff', when i can't win a hand or i dont hit i just bluff on the river, while going all in. I would deffinately say that i am winning more often, but after a week i'm broke and this happened several times.

The second problem is ' i never believe, that somebody has a better hand, than me or i think, that they are bluffing me'.

Here is one example, from 1 hour ago where i lost my last 2 dollars by "not believing, that they have a better hand, than mine" and i made it to a showdown with a second best hand and as you might guess i was broke xD.

So this was the hand : I had K9off, a guy called the big blind and i called also. Flop was:

Kc,Qh,6d

Action is to me, i did bet for about 30c (I'm playing 0/2.0/5), so the guy called, Turn is 3d, i did bet 25c, the guy raised me for 50c i called. I did bet 25c, then the guy raised me to about 60c, i called and he shows KJ

What would you suggest me guys, should've just fold the hand preflop, but also i called, cuz there was no raise and 5c is worth to see a flop.

The third problem i have is the hands i am playing in SnG turbo's and tournaments mostly, i would like you guys to remove the hand's which i should not play or there is no reason to play them, here are few:

8/10of, 7/9of, 7/9s, k/8off, k/9off, 6/8s, 9/8off Q/8s, also i usually never play weak aces, would you recommend me to start playing it.

Another problem i would like to talk about is, in my opinion i over play pairs like QQ, 10/10, JJ.

Here is an example i played Turbo SnG and we were in the middle stage.

I had QQ, i raised for about 3bb, a guy called flops comes

K,2,J

I did bet 5bb the guy called, turn is 7, i did bet 3bb, the guy called, river was also safe card for me 4 there were no flush draws also, i did bet 4bb and then the guy raised me for about 8bb i called and the guy showed me K5.

How often should i play top hands with bad kickers, or the better choice is just to fold them preflop so i will avoid dangerous spots.

My last and the biggest problem is TILTING, once i start losing I SIMPLY CANNOT STOP UNTILL IM BROKE im with the mindset, that i should refund the money i've lost. I am depositing every week for 10 dollars and 2 weeks in a row already, i am just broke on the 2nd day.

I assume that most of those problems will be solved with the time, but i would like to take any tips from you guys!

PS: Sorry for the bad spelling and the construction.

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
dont bluff at microstakes....never bluff....the players are not good enough to think on bluffing levels and you cant bluff people who are not thinking about that stuff...they are only playing their two cards...I call them, level 1 thinkers...

if you play solid ABC poker and value bet only, then you wont have to deposit much..

its normal to deposit a few times when you are new to the game, so don't worry about it..just tighten up your starting hands and maybe download a hand chart to work from for now..and when players 'bet at you' or call down your bets, then you better have the goods at showdown...coz they aint bluffing enough to make it profitable to play back with inferior hands.

play some 2nl or 0.50c sit n go's and play tight aggressive...but know when to fold...and don't overplay hands like AK...if you miss the flop and a player bets or raises then its usually fine to let go of your hand....

value bet and practice hand reading....what hands beat you/what are they representing/what do they think I have....etc etc...small steps to start with, but its very very important to learn the fundementals of the game...things like position/hand strenghs/bet sizing/board texture...then things like player types..are they tight aggressive or loose aggressive...or loose passive/tight/passive....or a maniac or a nit...

if you stick with the game, you'll learn to hand read and exploit player tendencies....but you need to learn the basics first man...we've all been there so don't give up and embrace the learning process...and stick around here and ask your questions :)

good luck

H

heavystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position, position, position. Never be scared to fold by saying well I already got alot in there. Wait for good spots, remember its ok to bluff sometimes but ask yourself this, would you rather your money go in the middle on a bluff or when you got the nuts/best hand? I know my answer but if you have a good read on someone and you know they are weak sure does help to apply pressure..

S

SlavaUa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At micro-limits and micro SNG you shoud to play ABC poker, because there are a lot of fishes and you will take easily their chips, there will be that you'll loose your AA ,KK etc. to some 27 or 54 but at big distance you see that you bankroll will encrease.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't bluff at the levels you are playing. Winning a pot by bluffing may make you think you are a playa, but it's gonna cost you money. Tighten up your starting hand selection, you are playing a lot of junk. Poker after Dark may be entertaining, but what you see there has absolutely nothing to do with what you are playing. Professionals playing against other professionals with whom they have played thousands of hands has nothing to do with novices playing against strangers.

D

DriftwoodKid

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in micro Omaha games and find what the bluffers are soon out of
chips. figure out the best and have it. Its best to fold and play another hand.

J

jimmy62

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
play your hand and the board.your starting hands should basically be trashed for the most part.you will play all those small cards suited or unsuited but not play an ace with a small kikr?also your queens quit being safe when the overcard king hit the board.the guy called your raise and follow up for a reason.good players wait in hiding for someone who runs constant bluffs.

westside1950

westside1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that every begginer shouldn't watch any TV poker before it starts playing regulary online ( Poker after dark, High stakes poker) 'cause it gives you ideas like this :)

Rarely bluff at micros, that's the key to success :)

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If you are keen to learn join DragTheBar it is free training site, will give you everything needed to develop a good game.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker After Dark (live game) doesnt in line with online poker.

At micro stake, dont do any exhibition move like bluff because in the first place, they cant comprehend what you are doing. So much fish swimming, to the point they win because they dont understand good bluffs.

JuiceClouds

JuiceClouds

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Could not agree with more with all the others who talk about NOT bluffing at the micro levels.

Bluffing at these levels is literally burning money.
From your post i think there is a few other things, non poker related that could really help your game (mental aspect).

These are later down the road, after you study level 1 fundamentals first.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My rule of thumb is that I assume people are betting when they have a good hand and fold accordingly. I probably fold to easily, but I just wait until I have the good cards to defend the pot with.

yonosemanana

yonosemanana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can bluff at micro you just cant do it very often and you have to pick your spots. The game is a mental game, so I believe the player had your hand range read out and knew that KJ was a better hand. You also have to reconsider other posabilities. If someone re-raises you they might have something. You have to analyze and possibly check the turn or river and see what he does.

You also bet less than the flop, I think you showed weakness as well.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
To the OP, just save time, instead of depositing just send it to me via paypal, Like the wise man Kenzie said you are playing a lot of junk......Also stop bluffing and start believing.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You need to have a reason for every bet you make, and if you don't you'll probably leak some money sooner or later. If you're bluffing on the river that's fine, but you have to be confident that a better hand will fold in that spot.

coolDadJimbo

coolDadJimbo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
maybe you should stick to free money sng's/tourneys for awhile... playing real money after 3 months playing is kinda crazy... i started playing real money way too soon.... i've been playing play money sng/tourneys for the last few months... (and, recently, some $.10 360 player sngs, since i won some $ on a freeroll....)

i've only been playing for less than a year, but i've read 3.5 books and watched tonnes of videos, read forums, blogs, etc... and, would like to re-read the books and re-watch some videos

i definitely know way more than i did, and playing better... but it will be awhile before i deposit any more real money.. if i can build my tiny bankroll a bit (approx 100xbuy-in), i'll play more expensive tourneys and work my way up..

there is a difference between play money and real money.... but, if you aren't a winning player at play money, you won't be a winner at real money... play money gives you experience and the opportunity to try different plays

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Learning to evaluate the table and separating things like tight and lose players . Positions in which a player plays from . Picking up what players are playing because of others folding to them . keeping track of what hands players show down to range better then to move on to quicker putting players on hands .

What players trap and what ones dont and why ? Ask yourself How often does this player make this type of move and why would he will better help with more in depth evaluation . I can go on all day about this as their are so much to learn .

so heres what I would recommend:

1- Position
2- starting hands in what position
3- betting and what is standerd betts and what are signs of weak bets and so on .
4- then try to range them and range in what position ( like you they too play different hand ranges in different positions ) .
5 - then you can go a few different directions but start there and try to get them things memorized lke the back of your hand .

Good Day and may your poker becomes as good as you want it to be :)

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, recently i started playing Poker (3 months already). I've watched 5 seasons of Poker After Dark and plenty videos of poker strategies, odds, outs and so on. So let's assume i am familiar with the game. But i have a few problems, which i am trying to solve by myself, but i can't..

Seems to me that you aren't really familiar with the game. That's ok, 3 months is not a long time to be playing. It's perfectly fine to be a losing player as you are learning and you are not buying in for all that much.

Keep at it. You've identified a bunch of leaks in your game in your post. Plug up those leaks.

H

haraldone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
A great place to learn beginner poker strategies is pokerschoolonline.com, they teach you which hands are best for opening, what hands you need to call and other basic stuff. When you pass their tests they also credit you eith tickets you can use at pokerstars.

solargarlic

solargarlic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only have a few suggestions please do not take offense as I am only trying to help.

First: You have a very Basic knowledge of poker probably much less in reality than what you think you have. This is because you used the wrong tools to learn the game. The poker you watched on TV has no bearing on anything you were playing so try to forget it.

Second: One of the hardest lesson to learn in poker is when to fold. With time your "radar" for bluffing will get better but right now try this. If you think you are beat FOLD or if your hand is very weak FOLD. You will find that looking everyone up as you have seen is not a winning option.

Third: Your statement about calling a flop because it was only 5 cents is absurd with that logic you must call every hand that "looks" good. Tighten up your game and learn how to play position and your play will improve.

I am not trying to to make you feel bad about your play just trying to help. The good news is your poker career is just starting and you have come to the right place for information. Try to read posts on here and that alone will improve your game. Hope this helps and enjoy the ride it can get crazy at times. Good Luck!

R

RodrigoCL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't get inspired by cash games TV shows not even by watching a tournament final table streaming. In both cases the game play is quite a lot different from what you will find in low stakes and early stages of a game.

Second, keep on studying, or start doing so. There are great articles you can read for free, strategy guides, etc.

Third, don't try bluffing at micros. It's a waste of chips. Play ABC poker and you should be fine, and ABC poker includes considering FOLDING as part of your game. Don't get married to hands, not even if you have put chips on the pot. K9o is a bad hand! fold it preflop. While you are learning, stick to the basics, and as you learn begin to vary your play. Also, don't be afraid of losing your BR. I do think every poker player has lost their bankrolls at the very beginning by making mistakes. What's important is that you learn from those mistakes and get to a point where you won't need to make any further deposits.

Finally, DON'T EVER GIVE UP. If you like the game, if you enjoy poker, if you want to learn, go ahead, you just need dedication, hard work, and a passion for this.

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
regarding the bluff.
would say, bluff is part of poker and very important weapon if want to play poker well.

the problem is using the right weapon on the right time.
the most important part think from my understanding is: you don't know where your hand stand, and what is the situation from your opponent's hand.

that leads to the problem
like , you want to bluff the better hands out , but in fact your opponent's got a better hands would never fold.
and
when your opponents bet/call/raise your bet with the real value hand, you overestimate your hand strength and continue makes the pay.

hope my tip works for you. good luck.

PS: some pros from poker after dark plays some hand very well, you could see they play VS player like they really see the hand open. but in fact , all hands on the table are not open, but through TV program you know both hands.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should learn to be more honest with yourself when playing poker. If your trying to bluff and still get caught after shoving all in . I would assume you are not telling the story of your hand correctly. If the story don't make sense, your gonna get more players to believe your made up story. I would say question your actions and truthfully ask yourself whether what you are doing is the correct play against the correct opponent. also honestly analyze your opponents on what you have seen by their action.. How they play against someone else on the table, isn't so much different from how theyre gonna play against you.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i was watching poker after dark recently, i would say watch it if you like cash games. But be aware, how they play their hands is different from how micro stake game works. They apply bluffs and strategies and bet for a deeper thinking level.

when i watch poker on tv. I always look at how the chips get put in, and how players behave when raising. Once I started catching onto these tells, I like recognizing patterns .

dipstick2

dipstick2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes bluffing is bad trait,only use sparingly.find your leaks,work on them,use patience