Total posts
Chips
Had nothing and won $29 winning first in a cc freeroll
Lost it all not too long later
Like a month after my first win I won another 18 placing 2nd place
Lost it all within the week
So I'm placing pretty high on the cc freerolls so I can play decent
But im losing it all so quickly when I play out in the real world
Is there a big difference in skill? Is it just the bigger field? were the wins just flukes? I feel like I'm wasting my chances to build my bankroll from nothing because the free $57 cc blessed me with is gone within a week

pick4player

pick4player

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe drop down in stake. play some 1/2 cent cash game

S

spartacus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What games and stakes are you playing?

Adubzz

Adubzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would look up proper bankroll management. That could be all you need to slowly become a winning player.
Another thing to watch out for is your play style. What works for you in tournaments won't always work for you in cash games, and vice versa.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your bankroll of $29 and $18 is gone within a week, you are either playing very badly or MORE LIKELY playing at too high a limit. With $20, you only have 10 buy-ins at the 1-2 cent table. For myself, I like to have between 20 and 50 buy-ins to consider the fluctuations of my bankroll. Before I move up to higher limits, I must have at least 50 buy-ins at that new limit before moving up. If I drop down to about 25 buy-ins, I will drop down one level in the limits.

B

braveboat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your bankroll of $29 and $18 is gone within a week, you are either playing very badly or MORE LIKELY playing at too high a limit. With $20, you only have 10 buy-ins at the 1-2 cent table. For myself, I like to have between 20 and 50 buy-ins to consider the fluctuations of my bankroll. Before I move up to higher limits, I must have at least 50 buy-ins at that new limit before moving up. If I drop down to about 25 buy-ins, I will drop down one level in the limits.

BullWink is probably correct here. If you're using good bankroll mgmt., you really can't go broke. I would be lying if I said I didn't play over my bankroll often, but as soon as I'm seeing losses, I'm dropping back down.

Bankroll mgmt., both in poker and in life, is a tough sell at times. However, unless you can replenish your bankroll with new money, playing 5% of your total will keep you from going busto. It really is your choice: be disciplined and play within your bank, or commit to making deposits when you bust. I've done both in the past, and probably will do both in the future! lol

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are using your CC winnings as a bankroll for online MTTs, then your bankroll is too small to handle the variance for even $1 buy-in MTTs.

So what games are you playing online with your winnings?

-HooDooKoo

helpspb

helpspb

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You didn't mention what games and buy-ins you're playing, but I agree with others. Most likely you're not following reasonable bankroll management. For MTTs you'd really need bigger roll and if you don't feel like playing cash, I'd check out some single table SNGs.

Havik

Havik

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
instead of playing cash games you might do better at low states muititable

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had nothing and won $29 winning first in a cc freeroll
Lost it all not too long later
Like a month after my first win I won another 18 placing 2nd place
Lost it all within the week
So I'm placing pretty high on the cc freerolls so I can play decent
But im losing it all so quickly when I play out in the real world
Is there a big difference in skill? Is it just the bigger field? were the wins just flukes? I feel like I'm wasting my chances to build my bankroll from nothing because the free $57 cc blessed me with is gone within a week

The "right" thing to do is to keep your buy-ins at bankroll/100. This will allow enough "tries" for you to overcome bad beats and variance (i.e. if you follow this rule and still lose your bankroll there is a good chance it is not just a bad beat or variance that is working against you: you are probably not playing optimally)

On the other hand, you may not psychologically equate the freerolls with the real money games: this is to say, you play differently when real money is at stake. When real money is on the line, clear cut decisions may not be as clear cut anymore. If this is the case then it is something you really need to work on; it is a symptom of the same mental block where players find it difficult to move up to higher stakes (i.e. they can beat $5.50 tourney level but when they go any higher they always lose their bankroll).

Now my suggestion would mean that in your case you should have been playing 28 cent buy-in tourneys (these don't exist in the USA, as far as I know). SO clearly, it is up to you whether or not you save until you have a bankroll of $110.00 (so you can play the $1.10 tourneys) or if you just take a chance with higher buy-in tourneys.....if you do the latter, you'll lose your bankroll more quickly of course (this is what has happened to you, in fact).

Good Luck

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can enjoy poker by controlling your losses through strict BRM.

It prolongs your BR at least.

scorpion1367

scorpion1367

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Proper Brm =not losing Br ,Improper Brm = going broke.......scorp

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends, what are you playing and how often? People tend to play different in tournaments vs. cash games.

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play cash games, only tourneys. But I stick to the lowest levels
The lowest toruneys Carbon has are $1.10 but they only have like 2 or 3 of those a day. I tend to play the next lowest tourneys, $2.20 ones

21sam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most likely you just got luck in these two tournaments. May be your skill is good enough for freerolls but not such for real money field. "Real money", even micro, stands aloud higher.

H

HooDooKoo

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't play cash games, only tourneys. But I stick to the lowest levels
The lowest toruneys Carbon has are $1.10 but they only have like 2 or 3 of those a day. I tend to play the next lowest tourneys, $2.20 ones

This explains why you keep losing your entire bankroll. A proven winning player should have a BR of at least $250 to handle the variance in $2.20 MTTs --- and I doubt that you've proven you're a winner yet, so your BR should be even bigger.

-HooDooKoo

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you can try some mtts or sng mtts, i saw that you're good on that...leave the cash or other bad things where you keep loosing...

A

AKBugatti47

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Too high of stakes or lack of skill or incorrect bankroll management

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100 buy ins for anything you play in to begin with. When you get comfortable then move up.

some people say 100 buyins for cash is too wide, but if ur learning it will save you money in the long run.

Play something like 100k-150k hands in cash get a feel where your at. if your graphs point up then working ur way up... if not keep grinding the bottom feeders.

Tourneys not sure how much to play before you can consider ur a winning player but it'll be much more than what you think.

micalupagoo

micalupagoo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
bring your cash to my table after you win some,
hopeing you'll still lose, but at least its for a good cause

seriously tho, like stated, you want 50-100BIs min
its hard to cash much less run deep, even the best can be taken out early again and again
Id suggest mor single table games, less profit but better odds, helps keep the bankroll afloat, and play the occassional $1 tournies from there

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It should be entirely normal and within your expectations to lose several hundred dollars playing poker before being able to beat even the lowest levels of MTTs offered at Merge.

This is a hobby, and to keep this notion that you should jump right in and be profitable actually isn't good for the game.

During the boom/yrs immediately after the boom, maybe.....right now, no.

If you like playing and want to get better, invest some money in depositing.

29 bucks isn't a roll even at micros. You need to plan on putting on like 100-200 bucks and playing from there tbh.

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
I used the DONs on Carbon.
Finishing top 5 by playing TAG is quite easy, sometimes you only need around 2,000 chips to double up.
You will need to steal blinds us the levels go up, but players tighten with 6 or 7 left.:)

T

titomurcia1214

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With a bank of $ 57 or less you can play tournaments or sit mtt of $ 0.50, you always have to have more than 100 entries tournament you play for your bankroll is profitable

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management