I feel like i'm too loose post-flop, but I have a great pre-flop game.

G

GreatLeslie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like as time has gone on with poker I feel very comfortable with my pre-flop game. I know exactly what hands i'm playing, and in what position. The one thing which I really struggle with, and the one thing which has lost me the most amount of money is where I put too much money into the pot when i'm first or second to act in a multiway pot post-flop.

For instance, I may raise pre-flop with JQo and get one caller, the flop comes and I feel like the board texture deserves a continuation bet but I may not have hit it. A lot of the time an opponent will call and i'm stuck in a situation on the turn as to whether I should bet again, or check. I always feel like If I check my opponent will see this as a weakness. This situation also plays a big part in my losses when I'm betting with middle pair on the flop, always wondering whether my opponent has top pair and whether I should just check.

I hope someone can relate to this and offer some guidence please.

Here is a hand where I lost earlier describing this situation:

Blinds: 0.02/0.05

Villian raises to 0.10
3 players fold
Hero raises to 0.15 with [KQs]
Villian calls

Flop comes [Qh4hAh]

Hero bets 0.15
Villian calls

Turn card [10d]

Hero bets 0.29
Villian calls

River card [Kc]

Hero bets 0.57
Villian calls and shows [Jc10c]

Last edited:
horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The solution is simple, play only turbo and hyper speed , where you need skill correct push/fold...

EDIT: Sadness, did not understand right that this cash , advice one watch more poker VODS and find a few books....It is impossible to describe in one post whole game postflop...

Last edited:
TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
or work more on your post flop game by analyzing your opponents tendencies like cbet stats, agg factor by street, donk and check raise stats

suby_rafael

suby_rafael

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is great to be confident and secure pre flop but most chances of outplaying our opponent only comes post flop so it is more important i think to concentrate on post flop game than pre flop.

There is just so many more things one can do post flop and we get multiple streets to do it whereas pre flop our chances are limited. :)

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
My 2cent adivice mate.. to get success in poker u Need to have both pre n post flop games.. as u r gd at pre flop game , you Need to Play more hypers and Turbos.. as to get very gd at post flop you Need to read more books and ya rail few top Players in some poker sites .. rail them for 15 days consistently n you ll know the betting sequence they do at post flop. best of luck at the table

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For starters it appears you are i the blinds and min raised with a less than premium hand. What was the point? Did you think villain would fold gettin 5 for 1?

You are now out of position and are faced with a big problem. Since you min bet preflop Villain can have anything. A weak A, 44, any middle pair? AQ, flopped flush, flush draw. Anything.

When he calls he cold be giving you rope, floating, drawing, you don't know. What do you do if after you bet 0.29 into a ~0.60 pot Villain RAISES 0.75? Being out of position makes you susceptible to plays like this.

My advice; don't playing middling hands OOP; NEVER min raise unless it is for value or camouflage; Don't CB the flop OOP; Don't bet three streets with middle pair.

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you feel like you are good post flop, play LAG. Don't play LAGtard though.

Be smart if you're going to play loose. If you're bluffing, it has to make sense. If you have a really strong hand, you need to figure out your opponent's hand range so that you can get paid maximum value. Learn to fold when you're beat and you'll be GOLDEN! :D

I love LAG, but a ABC TAG style is cool too! It really depends on the table dynamics though. If you are playing with a group of rocks, you can probably loosen up and take more pots down. If you are playing with a group of LAGs you will probably want to tighten up so that you can fire back with monster hands.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you have a strong, solid preflop game (betting and starting hand selection),

then you should have less problem post flop.

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Talking about this particular situation you did everything correctly. Normally you don't want to keep calling with just a gutshot unlike you don't care about money. That time a guy got lucky next he will not.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you know your pre-flop game is good? Because based on that hand, it doesn't seem so. But I'm asking a serious question though, what makes you think it's good? What are you comparing/judging that against?

I'm going to plug something because you need it. Try the free trial of the pre-flop trainer here, and if you score some high scores, then you can feel a little more confident about your pre-flop plan. But if you don't, you should probably re-consider some things. Address that first before you even start getting into the post flop mess.

http://acepokerdrills.com/

suvorov17

suvorov17

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you would like to win the pot, it was necessary to make a big raise on the flop to knock out a flush draw , hands Ax or low pair. The flop is very dangerous it was easier to play it by check

C

carsguitars777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree if you had put him on a straight draw, bet harder into the flop so you make it uneconomical for him to try and draw out on you. if you thought he could have an A then you should have checked and folded to a raise here. I dont think you played this hand horribly though, but in poker things happen.. just got to roll with it he also could have made a flush or be on a flush draw here so you have to be very cearful with a flop like that as there is a number of hands that could have you beat.

atlantafalcons0

atlantafalcons0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Min raise 3bet pre is terrible,

Flop bet is too small,

Turn bet is too small.

Solution, bet more in all instances.

Top 10 Games