How many hands before we know that a strategy works?

S

spfret

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As I read more and more poker books, it seems that each offers yet another strategy on successful play. However, it's always hard for me to know whether the strategy really works or not, or only works in very limited circumstance. Obviously if I win or lose by using a strategy over a short period doesn't tell me anything because it could just be variance.

So my question is, does anyone have an idea of how many hands I have to play using a specific strategy (say small ball), before I can definitely say that the strategy doesn't work for the level that I'm playing in?

Jackle43

Jackle43

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Morph the strategies together to mould your own game, Trust me it will make you a better player then trying to play perfectly to one book.

I read a lot of books before i even started playing properly and after a while i took a bit from here and a bit from there and i am now playing my own version of these games and it is working.
I know i didn't really answer your question just giving an opinion.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would think around 100,000 hands to eliminate most variance. I am not sure.

However, I will say this:
Each situation is dynamic. Each table is dynamic. Every decision you make should take into account table dynamics, player history, your table image, etc, etc.

So one style is not really what I would suggest. I would suggest adapting to the table, and exploiting your opponents weaknesses.

Take this all with a grain of salt. I am a live player, and the competition is extremely soft live.

Just my $0.02

G

Goathair

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It may not apply specifically, but Leakbuster for instance recommends a sample of 50k or more hands for a more accurate analysis. So maybe something similar for whatever strategy you are trying, if you are using stats as a reference.

BLACKSTACK

BLACKSTACK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as stated above i believe that just one strategy does not work all the time,every table is different donks,sharks yummy fish,knowing how the table is would be your best strategy to optimize winnings

D

detourglr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have to know several strategies. Notice I said know and not USE. That way it is easier to figure out players at the table.
I dont think you can use One Strategy becuase for one thing it will be easier for people to figure you out.. Also poker is a game of situations. and each game is different players. and also depends who is in the pot and also what position you are at.
Also too... one strategy might work at one table, but in the next table might not work.
and like above You have to mold your own game at the table. Hwoever do read the books and understand why they say to play this way. Dont change the way you play from that information but rather add that information to your arsenal. even if you never use that information in your own game, you can use that information to try to figure out how other players play.

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
100-200k hands to find out if it is profitable without moving stakes.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As I read more and more poker books, it seems that each offers yet another strategy on successful play. However, it's always hard for me to know whether the strategy really works or not, or only works in very limited circumstance. Obviously if I win or lose by using a strategy over a short period doesn't tell me anything because it could just be variance.

So my question is, does anyone have an idea of how many hands I have to play using a specific strategy (say small ball), before I can definitely say that the strategy doesn't work for the level that I'm playing in?

There is no one singular magic strategy that works at each level....you seem to be very much mistaken on this.

For instance, both longball and small ball can be highly effective at small stakes MTTs....although only with a good decision maker steering and making those marginal calls/.

It more about knowing how to actually play poker, read hands and intuitively understand the changes when dealing with different playewr types and stack depths than adhearing to one set rigid strategy like a bot all day.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but youll have to actually carry on thinking analytically even after buying the Negreanu book or whatever.

L

LDS85

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you truely understand why it works, you wont need to test it out to see if it will help.

But i'd say 100k hands will be accurate.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands