How to handle two or more tournaments at same time?

Slavuy

Slavuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of freerolls lately and my issue is how to balance between two tournaments that start on the same time without losing on quality of game?

My tactic is to focus on tournament with better price structure and risk on other to gain good positon in begin, but that tact is not working for now.

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cant focus on 2 tables? I think this is first time when i hear this from a player ...make the tables size equal,one on the right side and other to the left side so you can see on both at once.Now depends on what you play poker,pc,tablet,phone,laptop...

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Over time, the experience will come by itself.

S

seghill

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually good practice to play 2 at once - most I can manage at my age.
Obviously seen younger players playing a lot more but, if they are, they are simply playing their cards and position, without being able to focus on player behavior in certain positions etc

almanik

almanik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I can play 4 tournament at the same time without any problems. If there more it may be difficult to concentrate on game and remember all moves of your opponents.

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Two tables should be pretty simple to handle. i actually play better when multi-tabling because i don't get so bored from waiting for hands to finish so i play more patiently at each table because you see so many more hands. If you can't handle two tables you probably shouldn't be playing online to begin with. There's a lot of people that play 8-16 games at once, then it gets tougher/

Slavuy

Slavuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for tips! Now when I know that handling two or more tables is not big deal I will try to imporve my multi-tabling game.

Last edited:
slicheri93

slicheri93

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play around 8 tabels at the same time and i can still focus,
Mabey even better, just like , limpnfold88 said if i play one tabel andi get no hands , i will any suited cards,

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two tables should be pretty simple to handle.....If you can't handle two tables you probably shouldn't be playing online to begin with. /
There's no need for this, we all had to start somewhere.
Slavuy, don't get disheartened, this gets much easier with practice, as has been said above, try & make each table the same size on the screen, side by side is probably the best. I personally would use say bottom left corner & top right with a v.small overlap. But the main thing is to be able to pay good attention to each table & try not to get too flustered or frustrated if you time out in one table whilst playing the other.... & Like I said, stick at it & it does get a lot easier with time & practice. GL Slavuy!

Slavuy

Slavuy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Slavuy, don't get disheartened, this gets much easier with practice, as has been said above, try & make each table the same size on the screen, side by side is probably the best. I personally would use say bottom left corner & top right with a v.small overlap. But the main thing is to be able to pay good attention to each table & try not to get too flustered or frustrated if you time out in one table whilst playing the other.... & Like I said, stick at it & it does get a lot easier with time & practice. GL Slavuy!

+1
Pain Pain Go Away Thanks for encouraging post. Also thanks to other for honest tips.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hi Slavuy. I would suggest that when you are playing two tables at once, especially freerolls, that this is prbably the best way you can improve your poker game. It is best to concentrate on the other players in the game rather than the prize pool. This way you will learn about persons play and how to adapt to it. Gl in the future. :D:D:D

eidikos

eidikos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
its only a matter of experience
you can easy play 2 tables without loosing quality
try to minimize the tables so you can see them both all the time
try 9hand tables in the beggining.its easier for you than 6max or heads up
good luck

S

spazdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have played multiple tourneys at the same time and just play all of them the same way, so u dont screw up ur style or skill. Ya obviously u cant watch people play style as much but how can u really read a computer screen anyway, its not live, in my opinion u cant get exact reads online. hope that helps.

Gothams Son

Gothams Son

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Where I get myself in trouble is usually I will start doing real well in one and start losing focus on the other. I have just about stopped playing in multiple tournaments at the same time unless one of them is a freeroll.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Where I get myself in trouble is usually I will start doing real well in one and start losing focus on the other. I have just about stopped playing in multiple tournaments at the same time unless one of them is a freeroll.

I am guilty of this. Too many times I have witnessed it with others, especially my opponents, in pokerstars. For some reason, some feel the need to play 2 or more of the 'spin n' go' games and lord knows what else, at once and really messes them up. Oh well, that's good for anyone playing against them!

I do applaud those who are able to focus on 2 or more games, though...just not for me. :)

R

RodrigoCL

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually play 4 tables at once, 5 tops without losing play quality. What I definitely cannot do is to play both tourneys and cash games at the same time. Game play and strategy is so different that I easily get them confused during play.

I do remember when I started playing online and opening two tables back then was so challenging. I know of people playing 12 or more tournament tables at once, big buy-ins tournaments, and do pretty well.

It's all a matter of adjustment I think, and preference. If you want to try multitabling, then go for it. Just start one step at a time: 2 tables first, until you are comfortable to add 1 more, and then another one, etc. If you are not doing it already, start using a HUD as it helps A LOT when multitabling. It is much easier to look at a player stats at a glance before deciding your moves with a HUD. With just one table you can easily take notes and even remember other players actions and ranges. With two or more tables, that becomes very difficult and that's where the HUD becomes handy.

Finally, there is some help online regarding multitabling, so that might be worth a read to.

GL at the tables!

limpnfold88

limpnfold88

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips

I wasn't saying anything bad bro it's all good. Just giving advice that's all.

P

pain_pain_go_away

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wasn't saying anything bad bro it's all good. Just giving advice that's all.
Sound. We won't need to take this outside then. ;)
Just thought I'd add this thought; I don't know if you play any other poker formats e.g. Draw, Stud, PLO or NLOH/L etc.
But NEVER EVER play different poker formats at the same time... I must admit I find myself on the wrong side of this rule now & then and it's a recipe for disaster... GL mate.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
another point to note when playing multiple table is taking note and tagging people based on your observation so that you can quickly assessing who your opponent is in each hand, Also don't mix cash & Tournament as it involves quite different strategy and will be difficult to handle.

dealio96

dealio96

The LAG Monkeys
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
. Just giving advice that's all.

Pretty bad advice if you ask me. We try to encourage our members here, not discourage them. ;)

Don't think I'm jumping on you or anything... It's just that I know a few people that have troubles multi-tabeling, but they're still great poker players. *cough* Bearplay :D

@ OP- Practice makes perfect.

2Pacavelli

2Pacavelli

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Focus tournaments in the final stages , and make notes of opponents whenever possible , it will be the only way to know their style of play. the rest is just usual , over time you can adjust your game to play simultaneous tables

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Volume is key in online poker, therefore multi-tabling is a must. When you run a session, try playing 2 tables at once and see how it goes, then once you feel comfortable with that, you can start adding tables 1 at a time. MTTs aren't too hard to multi-table and as long as you are somewhat paying attention, you will be fine. In freerolls especially, there's no risk, so you should be trying to play as many as possible trying to maximize your winrate. I'm usually playing 8 MTTs at once and often times it isn't very hard since you aren't acting every 5 seconds.

topper39

topper39

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all about practise buddy. Start with two and once you feel comfortable handling them, add another and so on. Eventually you'll find yourself playing 64 tables on three screens while watching your favourite TV show you have switched on cause you had bored terribly. ;)

xastaria

xastaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It needs practice,take your time!They are free rolls,you don't lose money!!!Stay focus,take your notes about your opponents!when you make a mistake keep notes and in a few weeks you could play more tables!!!!!

T

titomurcia1214

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should keep improving the appearance of the beginning in the 2 or more tournaments you play, not because a tournament has less money in the pot will be less important

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands