How do you deal with huge blinds?

U

urbanekpyrotic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been playing in the betonline free rolls and I have a difficult time doing anything when the blinds start to get up to 5000/10000, usually the tournament chip leader at this point is only at 100,000 and I'm usually between 30,000 and 60,000. As if the blinds weren't pressure enough, at this stage of the tournament is when the payed places are 10-30 people away.

So my question is, how do you deal with huge tournament blinds?

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Try to get it in 'first' & preferably vs. players who you figure may fold.
'or' Get it in vs. players who you figure are shoving wide in LP
'or' cross fingers & rungood

('or' a combination of all the above)

W

waterboy73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well, that pretty much sums it up.;)

rytciaq

rytciaq

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought players do not deal at all?!

On topic, my advice without the ones Orifice already mentioned is blind stealing. Saved my arse a lot of times.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The play is simply either fold or all in.

Its like youre at hyperturbo.

The most lucky guy wins.

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are no antes on there, so focus on leveling up each blind. you can even go down to 5bb's and shove preflop on there and continue to play like that if you get shortstacked. one you get to 20bbs, your in a good position to be raising against smaller stacks that are shoving/calling with dumb suited hands.

usually when you set yourself as the one taking down pots on the table, people on there seem to give more credit and fold. Also alot of them play out of position, overplay hands, make weak bets and you can overbet a ton of the time and theyll still call. But when i use to play on there, i would always focus on making top 10 and look into how i can keep building it from there. just keep playing them, youll find your adjustment soon.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Be prepare to shove with some decent hand or use your position to take advantage against weak player.

U

urbanekpyrotic

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
there are no antes on there, so focus on leveling up each blind. you can even go down to 5bb's and shove preflop on there and continue to play like that if you get shortstacked. one you get to 20bbs, your in a good position to be raising against smaller stacks that are shoving/calling with dumb suited hands.

usually when you set yourself as the one taking down pots on the table, people on there seem to give more credit and fold. Also alot of them play out of position, overplay hands, make weak bets and you can overbet a ton of the time and theyll still call. But when i use to play on there, i would always focus on making top 10 and look into how i can keep building it from there. just keep playing them, youll find your adjustment soon.

Thanks everyone great advise, after consistently barely getting in the money I managed to get 2nd place it was the 10 dollar one but, if I keep playing like I did I'm sure I'll have similar results in other free rolls.
To be fair I hadn't placed in the 10 dollar free roll before, 10 paid places out of 609 people.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When the structure reaches a point where 10bb is enough to have the chip lead, there's simply no way to consider playing except push/fold. One thing you can do is to up your aggression factor before you get to such situations. You'll bust a bit earlier some of the time, but when you don't, you'll usually have somewhat more chips.

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess when the blinds are that high you only have two options.To go all in or fold.
I would shove with good hands if you get lucky only when you are in position.
If you get 99 or 1010 I would def shove in any position if you only have one preflop raiser and no 3 bets behind you.
You sometimes have to win flips to make the money.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Cross fingers and run good. gotta love it :boxing:
Gets crazy when them blinds are up!

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other posters are right noting it is either push or fold. The thing to consider is when this should start. Depending on the strength of your hand and the size of the stacks in the blinds I find it best to be pushing when my stack is down to 10BBs and in some cases 15BBs.

N

Naserian

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Theres some great software around that helped me with the exact same problem.

Sit n Go Wizard offer a 30 day trial and it basically tells you if the shoves and folds you have made in the late stages are +EV or -EV. http://sngwiz.com

Poker Tracker has a similar feature and also has a 30 day trial. http://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT4/

Best of luck and im sure we'll be seeing you at the final tables more often.

Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in or fold sounds really vague but its true! Its just about picking the right spots. It all depends on your position, who is left to act after you (Lag/Tag players) & their stack sizes etc. Sometimes your cards are irrelevant you just gotta shove when you believe you can steal or when you have a decent enough hand.
To me it feels like its all a gamble at the late stages of a tourney but I think once our skill develops it will be more about making solid plays due to the info we have gathered on our opps throughout the tourney.
Best of luck with your future games :)