going all in pre flop

Rawdeal1955

Rawdeal1955

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion going all in pre flop no matter what you have doesn't make you the donkey it's what you call with that dose. your making the move the other plays don't know if you have AA or 72 so it's putting the pressure on them. And it's truly amazing some of the call you see even your note in the hand. If it's me I'm trying to steel the blind or take control of the hand. If it's a bad beat they say it's only a free roll or a low amount tournament or cash game. Any one else view of this will be helpful to me. See you on the felt.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Kind of depends on stack sizes; as an extreme example if I'm in the BB in a tournament and have 100 BB's and the SB shoves his last 2BB, I'm calling without even looking at my cards.

It's true though that when you're the one that shoves, your cards only matter if you get called.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also if you are in early phase in the tournament against multiple all-in its not worth the risk to go broke with anything less than AA.Its all depend on the situation and stack size.

Sh4rKi

Sh4rKi

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I always do that when the Buy-in is "big" :)
When its smaller intresting: Im more carefully :D

stevencool1

stevencool1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Also if you are in early phase in the tournament against multiple all-in its not worth the risk to go broke with anything less than AA.Its all depend on the situation and stack size.

I agree with joe. i will usually push on button or small blind if player has less chips than me. my aces get busted a lot so i like to push on suited AK-AQ.

D

davem86

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion going all in pre flop no matter what you have doesn't make you the donkey it's what you call with that dose. your making the move the other plays don't know if you have AA or 72 so it's putting the pressure on them. And it's truly amazing some of the call you see even your note in the hand. If it's me I'm trying to steel the blind or take control of the hand. If it's a bad beat they say it's only a free roll or a low amount tournament or cash game. Any one else view of this will be helpful to me. See you on the felt.

Going all in makes you the donkey by what you shove or call with preflop?
Im Lost...

IS there a right or wrong way to play poker?
I mean if a player wants to risk playing any 2 that's on them.
Its all a gamble right?
They're playing with their money!
It just sucks to lose when you play ABC vs XYZ. :rolleyes:

R

roreyn02

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ive only played with play money so far... And even with play money I try to play it like its my real money and I NEVER go all in before the flop. Dunno if that means im just a chicken or what. I just cant do it.

B

bluejay2220

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going all in pre flop to steal blinds can be silly early in the game cause its not worth the risk, and usually if you get a caller they have you beat. some of these hands will be won with crap cards, but in the long run its a big loser. That's why its a "donk" play, you arent getting the right odds to ship it, where as later in the tourney, you are. That being said, if some calls you, it doesnt make them a donkey if they are getting the right odds, however I wouldnt suggest calling with 72

martymart48

martymart48

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All in pre flop good sometime whit good hand.Dont go all in whit :4h4: :2s4:

Mordecoke

Mordecoke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It really depends on your stack if you plan to shove all your chips.
I wouldn't shove all my chips even with hands like AQ 77 99 or even 1010 if im about even chips with everyone at my table.
You can easily get called with better if you shove an outrageous number compared to the bb. For example, shoving 20x the bb -_-

F

fierroooo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i wouldnt really go all in at the beginning...its inconsistent and creates a bad habbit cause lets say u win and u double up...you're gonna probably play looser and raise the smaller stack players to put pressure on them that are looking to double up with your stack...and eventually you're gonna cause a leak in your bank roll not raising at the right amount....it might work every once and a while but it isnt consistent to me

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it depends on the game. If it is a freeroll with thousands of players I will go all in preflop with 66 or higher.
In these games if you play tight in the early stages you are usually outchipped by a huge amount after 10 hands or so.
If it is a buy in tourney or a Cardschat tourney I will play much more conservative usually. wink wink.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
I tend to do it with JJ, QQ, KK, to prevent people with A rag from entering the hand.

With AA I tend to make it a 3x or 4x BB bet.

deluns28

deluns28

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is what i think is your goal when you shove preflop.
1. To avoid bad beat. The goal to for everyone to fold with your premiums.
2. Steal the blinds. Doesn't have a good cards.
3. Hoping to be called by 1 villain only and double up. You have premiums.

Shoving preflop is useful if done with great timing.