Going All In

shanebob123

shanebob123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To many times do I see people going all in preflop, in free roll and micro. When should I call the all in and when should I avoid it?

F

Fussy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you feel you can beat them, it depends really , if you see someone going all in alot, he is probably not going all in with good hands , if you see someone that never goes all in but all of the sudden they do they probably have a monster, etc

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going all in preflop early in a tournament is always risky and best to avoid it when you can. If someone at my table is doing it a lot, I like to wait for someone else to take them to a showdown to see what they had. Other than that, early on I'm only going to call when I have QQ, KK, AA or AK. If they're shoving all in every other hand and noone else has knocked them down yet I might call with AQ , AJ , A 10 or JJ. Best to be patient, if they are consistently shoving with weak hands, they won't be around long.

shanebob123

shanebob123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advise. Just fustrated when I get bullets and some one in early position goes all in and half the table follows. Makes me second guess my bullets. Could lose to a small set or flush etc.

pigpen02

pigpen02

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If half of the table has gone all in I would fold my bullets. It is only the highest pair and bunches of people will have chances at two pair, sets, straights, and flushes. As a warning about somebody who goes all in every hand, when YOU decide to call he may actually have aces or kings.

BogdanStark

BogdanStark

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday, again, there was a similar situation: I went all – in with AJ and guy had call with KJ. On the tern we had Q and on river came K. I was very disappointing. Can someone advise Can I go all in with AJ, AQ, AK, at the early stages of the tournament, or just with monsters AA,KK,QQ?

romych007

romych007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
have a good hand , made ​​the call , multiway - made ​​the call only good hands ( pocket queens kings aces )

G

gabrielrr33

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good friend to me, just do it all in preflop when the type of player he is. This is persivo when I see all your moves, as well as going all-in with others and win with bad hands. I also All-in when I have hands above J, and JJ, QQ, KK and AA pairs.

A pleasure bye!

F

Fussy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesterday, again, there was a similar situation: I went all – in with AJ and guy had call with KJ. On the tern we had Q and on river came K. I was very disappointing. Can someone advise Can I go all in with AJ, AQ, AK, at the early stages of the tournament, or just with monsters AA,KK,QQ?
It depends, sometimes it is good if you feel you are strong and want to double up early but are also willing to risk your tournament life, it can be a coin flip, alot of players wont.

S

sup3rh0t

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't make any sence going all-in with your good hand when the tournament is in the beginning and the stakes are still small - probably no one will call (talking about normal tournaments not the freeroll bingo one). Its better to raise so that you get a call and earn more chips making them fold after that :D

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
it depends on the freeroll and the stage you are playing. early on the tournament especially on freerolls you might call an all in with ak,aq,aj,a10,kq and maybe kj, also with a middle pair or better like 66+. middle pairs can be good against 1 all in however they lost value when 2 or more players go all in so you should fold middle pairs and call with at least tens or better. in middle and late stages it will depends on your stack size and villains stacks and their style of play.

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sometimes early on you need to fold strong hands pre-flop if you don't want to risk your tournament life. Just realize to make it to the end of a tournament, you are going to fold some hands that would have won along the way and be OK with it.

To avoid people going All In early on, try Limit Holdem.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On freerolls or small stakes, I often go all in with the premium hands (AA,KK,QQ, AK). With the field of players so big, you need to get your stack built early, so you have something to play with when the REAL poker game starts later in the tournament. If you bust out early, oh well, its just on to the next tourney and you haven't lost a lot of time playing in this one.

C

chloebrand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournaments are about survival. We have all done this, gone all in and won, and gone all in and lost. I think best rule of thumb is go all in, when you have the nuts. If you go all in pre-flop, prepare yourself to be disappointed, even with aces.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you should look at their range, the effective stack sizes, and your tourney equity-early in the tourney you usually want QQ or better

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me it depends on the game.
In the Cardscat freeroll I never go in preflop but I will call an allin with KK or better.
In the privledge freeroll at poker stars I have a much wider range I will shove with.
If I win I double up (at least) and if I lose I save hours of my life. :)