General question about draws

D

DenverDave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,

I seem to get in trouble when playing KQo/s or maybe even QJs/JTs on the button to a limp. Or to a more agro player opening in EP wide. I will usually 3bet.

Then the flop comes out all low cards rainbow. I am concerned that my tag'ish ways gives the villain a good read on my cards. I will get a check/call if I cbet. Sometimes I will delay the cbet to the turn to see if I improve at all. At that point, if I don't, I am ready to give up on the hand.

I know that each hand is part of a larger set of play. And I am trying to not be as results oriented as I was when I first started. I also know this is player dependent. So depending on if he is a lag or a passive fish, he could have hit part of the board and I am done.And there is the occasional check raise, which signals either he knows I missed and wants the pot now. Or hit it and wants to be paid off.

Anyone have any ideas on how missed draws could be played? I hear that to raise/3b preflop then dump on the flop is a bad leak.

Thanks
Dave

S

SaadOmizer

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally wouldn't 3bet a early position open with J10suited, I'd be more inclined to just flat it pre flop.

At my limits which is 2nl I find it's not really a great hand to 3bet either for value or as light for a bluff vs EP open. If he calls do you think he would be calling with worse than J10suited after opening from EP? Even if he calls with Middle pair then you're still just about behind on the flop, he could have also flopped an open ender aswell.

If your 3betting an EP opener from the BTN then you are showing a signal of strength so I personally would be inclined to make at least one cbet on the river, if he calls then re-evaluate on the turn, consider his range and how he perceives your range to be and how a turn card may have helped you.

If you get check raised then just dump your cards, chances are youre behind at this stage.

There is nothing wrong with folding and a bet saved is a bet not lost.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Generally, you shouldn't play those hands against EP raises at all. They're just going to get you into a lot of trouble when you flop top pair. Against a raise you can flat call and see a flop in hopes to make a two pair or pick up a draw. Don't 3-bet unless you have a solid read because their range is most likely crushing yours.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
One of the keys to 3betting light is being able to differentiate which opponents are more susceptible targets. You don't (or at least shouldn't) 3bet before thinking about both the opponent's style and how you plan to continue, especially in the large majority of times where you don't flop big.

D

DonkeyH3AD

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone have any ideas on how missed draws could be played? I hear that to raise/3b preflop then dump on the flop is a bad leak.
than You have to quess what Your opponent may have if You put him for example on A high or weak hand on floop You can try to bluff him and fire next raise if You got feeling he gonna call You than check and give up hand
if You talk pre floop its a shi t play hands like Kq 3 bet because like 70% next move opponent is all in so dont waste Your money if You dont want to gamble with hands like kq's

T

teplovoz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
this is realy bad try do anysing else

D

DenverDave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the info. Good stuff here and will look to apply it once I can a bankroll back up and running..

T

thatgreekdude

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'd sooner take a cheap flop in position with suited broadways as opposed to 3betting with them.

P

pallav_pro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
LEarn from,

Generally, you shouldn't play those hands against EP raises at all. They're just going to get you into a lot of trouble when you flop top pair.Firstly, you have not got the got the best kicker with your top pair. Secondly, always take a cheap flop in position as opposed to 3 betting with them.