Katyushka4

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
problem kicker =(
How to play with a combination of garbage ace (A6)?

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If and play, only preflop fold. And so may a nervous breakdown ...

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i dont think there is a black or white answer to this question...you can do many things with any hand depending on many different factors...

but if you are a new player learning from hand charts, then throw them away until you get some experience and know when and why to play them...

all different reasons to play or not play a hand in different situations.....it might not be right or optimal to play ace rag in a certain situation but it might be optimal to play it in a different situation...just depends

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It's the same with a lot of hands comes down to stack size, position and opponents tendencies, as Alf says no black or white answer, they can be good for blind stealing in position or shoving when short all depends. Should probably be folded more often than not unless you have good reads on your opponents.

dagG1

dagG1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone play this hand by his way...some poker forums say that u must just fold with this hand...for me in late or middle position u may play with it .

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's the same with a lot of hands comes down to stack size, position and opponents tendencies, as Alf says no black or white answer, they can be good for blind stealing in position or shoving when short all depends. Should probably be folded more often than not unless you have good reads on your opponents.

aye....i would rather 3bet A4 in the bb v a btn than Aj..especially if the fanny folds to 3bets alot...no point in 3betting AJ and getting a fold and makes more sense to flat call...and 3bet the A4 instead coz ye want him to fold..or atleast have the initiative in the hand with being out of position and going to post flop...all different ways to play any hand eh

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
depends on position. early position on a table with aggressive players I'd fold it. early position on a table with nits I'd probably raise it. middle position pretty much same as early. late position: usually call might raise with it sometimes (particularly if I am the first one in the pot).

On the flop I'd be eager to fold if I am heavily raised with an Ace on the flop because I am likely beat out due to my weak kicker.

I will go into this basically looking to hit two pair or straight draw on the flop (assuming x=5 or less). If I don't hit this goal then I will see what other players do before I act (if I am late position then I will know what most players have done already so I can probably bet right there to steal the pot...if I am early then I will check to see what opponents do). If there were no bets I would probably try to steal the pot with half-pot bet. I wouldn't go too far with this steal attempt...so if I am reraised I would fold unless I have other tells on my re-raising opponent.

Ax is not completely worthless but you have to be very careful with it. Hitting your A on the flop should make you more wary and eager to fold than optimistic and ready to bet; you must consider the fact that other people who are still in the pot may have also hit that A and their kicker is probably higher than yours.

C

CrushTheBookie

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Myself i really hate A rag A10 or better for me i will call or raise anything less i will muck it or i will play it if it is in my blind but im not going to call a allin or even a pre-flop raise with A rag.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didnt read this all the responses yet but honestly unless have a table can run over very tight freeroll which doesnt happen a lot lol I tend to throw away more and more ace off hands in mtts and ring. They get me into more trouble then they are worth unless im hitting can run a table etc..

I do watch cards if is hitting just play wise to others betting habits etc.. so minimize losses when they have aj etc..

position and table image matters though so if have position know people tend to lay down I make a large enough bet that they tell me what they have by their next move meaning ace or not like to bet make them think some will slow play you most tend to raise with aj or higher etc..

P.S. to katy PRAY HIT TOP TWO PAIR HAHA and it holds:)

To steve pray hit 245 haha and someone gets cute

both depending on position id only play if is not a huge raise or have enough blinds etc...

Last edited:
K

kmichaels

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any thing less than A10 pre-flop just fold if any one raised before. If you want to limp in and try your luck never spend more than 1 bb value, it´s not worth it. If you limp in play very, very carefully the hand. Somebody might have a better ace.

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play live limit a lot and people just can’t fold an Ace. It’s like it has some magical power or something. Well hell, I have an ace, I can’t fold this! But a strange thing happens when an ace comes. Here are a couple examples.
Hero limps in with a4o
P4 and the SB limp in also, BB checks.
Board.
A 7 6 K J
Everyone checks to the river.
Our Hero wins the pot with the ace and says, “I didn’t like my kicker”.
Let’s take the same scenario, but this time P4 shows A8. The first thing our Hero says is, “I knew I was out kicked”. I just don’t get it.

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In general I don't play Ax offsuit. Most times these hands won't get you nothing but trouble.
Sometimes I play them in tournaments, but rare in ring cash games.

adamchikas

adamchikas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ax is always a sweat, unless being heads up or raising a BB, I fold.
But, isn't Ax mathematically a better hand than KQ, why do people tend to invest plenty into KQ if it seams to be a little worse than Ax.

K

kozikpro

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ax is good for bubble or close ft ppl always useing this hands to took blinds or protect your blinds
but in start or cash games r no good only siuted conectors like AT its not bad

skiptomyloot

skiptomyloot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A6 FOLD. A7 FOLD . A8, A9 A,4. MAN FOLD THEM ACES if you don't have to play it, just let it go, wait for a pair or better ace.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends playing them. Many factors to consider.

What I know for sure, playing them on raise pot is simply looking for trouble.:)

BigJamo

BigJamo

Aussie Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not playing this hand very often.
Late position against Tight/Passive players maybe and hope I hit.

Was this an offsuit combo?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is only push/fold hands, if stack 10bb or less, MP LP and all fold you can shove for steal...

H

HymN

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Before I used to play most AceX that's above A5o in late position, now I mainly fold unless I get A10 or better, playing lots of Rush poker developed this for me.

But every situation different sometimes I'll shove A5o in late position if im short and we ITM or something.

21sam

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You may easily determine fishes by play or not they with weak aces at early positions