FreeRoll Poker

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I have been playing poker on and off for awhile. I have come back only like a month or two ago. I thought I had it down, I really believed I could make just a few hundred bucks a month once I cashed a few freerolls. I have been playing steady, bouncing from BOL, FF, ACR and juicy stakes when im bored waiting for another tournament.

I'm playing like crap. lol. I raise with 4 callers, their range is anything, position means nothing, 3 or 4 betting is worthless in freerolls. I have been playing loose aggressive, I feel like a noob again. I'm lost, I feel like I cant calculate anything, put anyone on a range because its madness.

So I decided to to play passive poker tonight. Limp with everything but AA, KK, QQ, and AK. When I did raise it was just min raise, if my minraise got reraised i would 4 bet. The rest of the hands I played passive with. People play anything! So what good is JJ unless you spike a J. its worthless because you have 3-4 callers on your pre flop bet and your odds of winning the hand becomes well crap.

I played like this in back to back Freerolls and finished in the top 100 both times out of 1000 or more players. The problem is I find myself low stacked when Im at 100 players left. I'm no longer calling straight draws, flush draws. If I do its because i min bet and someone just calls. If I get reraised, Im out and I know that is to passive at times, I just no longer feel like firing a half pot raise or 3/4 pot raise is worth it, yeah i might take it down there on the spot but if I dont im just throwing chips in a pot i will only win 25% of the time if im 4 to a flush on the flop.

I really am at a loss with this freeroll garbage and i feel like its really messing with my game. I just got equilab because i couldnt find pokerstove anywhere that worked. I geuss Im trying to find the happy medium in a freeroll. I hate passive play, I'm becoming a rock in freerolls because its madness.

anybody have any advice other then play tight in the beginning then loosen up later, im finding that it really dosnt matter, im getting 4 callers either way. lol. I dont even bother with ACR much anymore, 10 dollar freerolls are just a waste of time with a feild of 700+ at times. Bet online seems to be the best at the moment. Anyways thats all the babble for the night. :confused:

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing passively is bad.

You need to change up the type of hands you are playing. If you are getting numerous callers each time then playing AK is less valuable. Pocket pairs and suited connectors become more valuable.

Freerolls are very easy to score often in but they do require a different strategy altogether.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if im playing freerolls i usually wait until all the donkeys bust out before i decide to start playing hands as most of your hands will get cracked often. but obviously if im dealt a monster i'll have no choice but to play it and usually i would just shove it in instead of playing it properly since when you do try and play it properly the whole table calls you just to see if their garbage hand hits.

later on in freerolls it does even out a bit and most of the donkeys are out of i so it turns into an almost normal game of cards.

best of luck

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing passively is bad.

You need to change up the type of hands you are playing. If you are getting numerous callers each time then playing AK is less valuable. Pocket pairs and suited connectors become more valuable.

I know passive poker is bad, really bad. I open up my range in late position. I pretty much try to limp in with low pocket pairs. Should I be raising in late position or stick to limping in with 8-8 or less? I do the same with suited connectors. Should I be raising with these as well?

punctual

punctual

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I have been playing poker on and off for awhile. I have come back only like a month or two ago. I thought I had it down, I really believed I could make just a few hundred bucks a month once I cashed a few freerolls. I have been playing steady, bouncing from BOL, FF, ACR and Juicy Stakes when im bored waiting for another tournament.

I'm playing like crap. lol. I raise with 4 callers, their range is anything, position means nothing, 3 or 4 betting is worthless in freerolls. I have been playing loose aggressive, I feel like a noob again. I'm lost, I feel like I cant calculate anything, put anyone on a range because its madness.

So I decided to to play passive poker tonight. Limp with everything but AA, KK, QQ, and AK. When I did raise it was just min raise, if my minraise got reraised i would 4 bet. The rest of the hands I played passive with. People play anything! So what good is JJ unless you spike a J. its worthless because you have 3-4 callers on your pre flop bet and your odds of winning the hand becomes well crap.

I played like this in back to back Freerolls and finished in the top 100 both times out of 1000 or more players. The problem is I find myself low stacked when Im at 100 players left. I'm no longer calling straight draws, flush draws. If I do its because i min bet and someone just calls. If I get reraised, Im out and I know that is to passive at times, I just no longer feel like firing a half pot raise or 3/4 pot raise is worth it, yeah i might take it down there on the spot but if I dont im just throwing chips in a pot i will only win 25% of the time if im 4 to a flush on the flop.

I really am at a loss with this freeroll garbage and i feel like its really messing with my game. I just got equilab because i couldnt find pokerstove anywhere that worked. I geuss Im trying to find the happy medium in a freeroll. I hate passive play, I'm becoming a rock in freerolls because its madness.

anybody have any advice other then play tight in the beginning then loosen up later, im finding that it really dosnt matter, im getting 4 callers either way. lol. I dont even bother with ACR much anymore, 10 dollar freerolls are just a waste of time with a feild of 700+ at times. Bet online seems to be the best at the moment. Anyways thats all the babble for the night. :confused:

Passive poker will get you only so far. Playing your opponents is far more important than playing the cards you are dealt.

My advice to you is switch up your play. It seems your opponents have a good idea of your playing style...the only way they can have a good idea about that sort of thing is if you are too consistent in your playing style.

Maybe some of Sun Tzu's advice on war tactics could help you here. I have been working on interpreting Sun Tzu's work over the past few months as it relates to poker. here is a link to my thread. Good luck.

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/sun-tzus-art-war-applied-poker-249276/

N

nygmen2007

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls, you want to play aggressively to build up chips. Then when you get later on you will have chips to play with. I get fed up with alwasy making it to the top 100 and then losing to a moron. Anyway have to only play freerolls with some better value. Back to the grind for me... BCP cc freeroll tonight.. good luck all

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the help, i have been reading different articles in the strategy section of cardschat. I definatly have to make some adjustments. I can't play passive poker, I did for two tournaments last night and although I made it far in the field theres no way I could have made it to the final table. I will be adjusting my playing style for freerolls and mtt's.

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I adjusted my play and it worked well. Although it was only a 10$ on demand freeroll at ACR I finished 6th. I really did punish the button lol

youregoodmate

youregoodmate

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My advice to you is switch up your play. It seems your opponents have a good idea of your playing style...the only way they can have a good idea about that sort of thing is if you are too consistent in your playing style.

He is playing freerolls. His opponents will be clueless about his playing style.

Raizz

Raizz

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He is playing freerolls. His opponents will be clueless about his playing style.

Exactly. The final two tables actually felt like a real tournament, it was nice. People actually did take time to watch others style of play. I kept notes on players, when I do however I write freeroll next to it because you cant really predict if they will actually play like that at a real MTT sng or a cash table.

Bee

Bee

to bee or not to bee
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I usually wait to play a little away, in frerolovima in the beginning a lot of rambling. Later, the game becomes law. Of course, with passive play can not be far.

A2345Razz

A2345Razz

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Freerolls are pretty much a waste of time that will prove to be a distraction from becoming a good SSNL players if that is your goal (by your earnings goal, it must be).

You need to move away from freerolls, deposit a couple/3 hundo, and work on reasonable volume in 2 to 5 dollar MTTs.

You may or may not want to hear this, but this is reality. People play freerolls (non-CC ones) so differently than they play real money poker, it just doesn't help people who aren't rank beginners to be playing them IMHO.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The freeroll bankroll is a siren's song. One needs to realize he first hour of a freeroll Dodge City with automatic weapons. My theory is to play extremely tight EXTREMELY aggressive until re-entries period is over. If you don't have 2X the average stack by then you are in serious trouble. IMHO it is best to bust early and go to the next one, then try and get to the top 100 without a big stack.

Once there are 40 or 50 players left (with 10 getting paid) it is much more like a real tournament.

the freeroll strategy does work even in $1 real money tournaments. There are too many tight players looking to push the top 5 hands and not enough players willing to call down with an K9 flush draw,

A

AnCarolina19

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone know good freerolls for pokerstars?
is that I want to start getting into these freerolls at least to make some small bucks

T

terryg642

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Everyone's got different strategy's on how to play freerolls .What I do is play straight bingo poker with a 55% percent hand all in preflop until I bust or create a decent 20,000 to 30,000 stack that way I'm not wasting my time in the later stages.Once I have a big stack I play my normal game.Note:These are the large public freerolls the private ones I play like a normal tourney.The beauty of this strategy is if I bust out I'm available for another one.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has been said by many others in this forum (and I agree), that the real poker doesn't start until about 2 hours into the game. So for me, the first two hours is waiting until I get one of the top 5 cards, and then betting agressively. Yes, sometimes I bust out, but then it is on to the next freeroll. If i manage to get (and win) a couple of these hands in the first couple of hours, then I usually have three or four times the starting chips, and although low in chip stack, I then change my style and loosen up my range of starting cards.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
there is an art to freerolls you have to play enough to realize when to push when you have to make a move from 8 k to 40k to money big etc.. and yes that happens in 2nd hour or after 2nd hour on bet online that is my advice knowing when how etc.. you only learn that by application. Four weeks back playing poker 3 weeks of terrible not top 100 play on bet online now i money frequently in their freerolls. Meaning a LOT almost daily sometimes more than once. I have work to do on game but have figured it out biggest thing is began not taking 1000 or 2000 people I have to categorize. If was 200 people same people I could remember them but not 2000 is not going to happen. So I am taking notes I use late on weak players I TRUST MY NOTES if they were not so good of a player early? Well sure they might hit AA against me and I will be unlucky but if they dont and I trust the system and the notes? More often than not I can use it to win.

Just my advice hope it helps it has helped me lately. Now saying that I have four days of tough tough tough love lol or no poker god help haha. So am losing right now but you know what? I am still trusting the system and the beats ?? well they are lucky and im unlucky. I dont have closed eyes here lol the system is in place and when cards change hold up etc.. these cats are GOING DOWN!!

4soul

4soul

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I adjusted my play and it worked well. Although it was only a 10$ on demand freeroll at ACR I finished 6th. I really did punish the button lol

about this series of small freerolls , i registered into a new WPN room and played this kind of freeroll, first , and won it first place - 2.5$ . I received any points in a leaderboard or smth ? because i am new there and i didn't understand so much from :( ?!?!?!:confused:

Z

zooboss

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its very scary to play nonmonster hand at the beginning, very hard to controll ur risks without huge experience

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
about this series of small freerolls , i registered into a new WPN room and played this kind of freeroll, first , and won it first place - 2.5$ . I received any points in a leaderboard or smth ? because i am new there and i didn't understand so much from :( ?!?!?!:confused:

the points are for montlhy race if in top they give you a free event i have finished close to top 20 a couple times when i had the time to spare but never think is top 3 which get something or maybe more its on acr page freerolls

so just look up when you exit the site it gives you a page click on freeroll link:)

S

Slavva

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In freerolls players go all-in with air very often

AIexander K

AIexander K

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone know good freerolls for pokerstars?
is that I want to start getting into these freerolls at least to make some small bucks
PokerStars: bankrollmob leaderboard freeroll, pokerowned freeroll, weekly round, and many others.

A

Adam9044

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The key to freerolls is remembering that it costs nothing for you but time when you bust out. So of your going to bust its better to bust out as soon as possible as apposed to slowly blinding yourself out and probably spending 3 hours in the tournament and not making any money.

Freerolls have huge field sizes compared to the payouts, which means the winners will have had massive stacks. If your not willing to risk your stack on a coin flip, someone else will. And they will probably either make it further then you or bust out early in the game without having wasted his day.

meagain00

meagain00

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think freeroll is a good way to start bankroll, and also have many people who don't mind if win or not, cause they are not paying for. So we can take position from this situation, agressive mode on the initial hands maybe can be a bad idea because this time the game have a lot of "kamikazes", and one of them can have a lucky day and win, so I think is better a moderate mode at start and then getting agressive with time.

Meagain

A

Akwind

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO best way to play in freerolls is to cambine passive play with aggro play when you have good hands
in regular MTT i would never limp/complete - in freeroll it is a part of a play.
people can easily pay you with a draw a 2nd pair.