follies in the super system

S

steviewayne69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, my biggest problem is playing hands like QT, QJ, KT, KJ, KQ, AT, and the like, even AQ is a problem hand for me, whether suited or off, I've found that even if you're in position there is still that chance of someone beating you by you being outkicked or some other bs reason depending on the profile of the player. I suppose I would like to use this post to discuss some of the frustrations that my fellow players have with playing certain hands, for example say you flop top pair and you're in position, and the hand you have is one of the above, you're heads up and the guy leads out what do you do?

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me, my biggest problem is playing hands like QT, QJ, KT, KJ, KQ, AT, and the like, even AQ is a problem hand for me, whether suited or off, I've found that even if you're in position there is still that chance of someone beating you by you being outkicked or some other bs reason depending on the profile of the player. I suppose I would like to use this post to discuss some of the frustrations that my fellow players have with playing certain hands, for example say you flop top pair and you're in position, and the hand you have is one of the above, you're heads up and the guy leads out what do you do?

With no information I would take caution if I have not noticed any over activeness from the opp.
also look at his position it's sometimes handy to gauge how many hands they are playing from EP,MP a disciplined player, Might be mucking a huge proportion from EP where as a more loose, unpredictable player needs his action studied.
Depending on the board as well. They may just have top pair and there is a draw out there, or they may have a draw.

Depending on the board we can float in this spot or obviously re-raise if on the looser side.
Depending on the pre flop action and the players level of game play don't fear repping a hand if you have a decent indication of range and your facing a solid player you'll be surprised how many guy's will fold if the turn get's messy
and they have one pair.

I guess the best advice is observation and trial. To find out what work's
Also it doesn't need to be your hand someone else might expose the information you need to know from an opponent, so always be watching these guys actions after playing OOP or playing specifics area's of the table

S

steviewayne69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With no information I would take caution if I have not noticed any over activeness from the opp.
also look at his position it's sometimes handy to gauge how many hands they are playing from EP,MP a disciplined player, Might be mucking a huge proportion from EP where as a more loose, unpredictable player needs his action studied.
Depending on the board as well. They may just have top pair and there is a draw out there, or they may have a draw.

Depending on the board we can float in this spot or obviously re-raise if on the looser side.
Depending on the pre flop action and the players level of game play don't fear repping a hand if you have a decent indication of range and your facing a solid player you'll be surprised how many guy's will fold if the turn get's messy
and they have one pair.

I guess the best advice is observation and trial. To find out what work's
Also it doesn't need to be your hand someone else might expose the information you need to know from an opponent, so always be watching these guys actions after playing OOP or playing specifics area's of the table

solid advice. My biggest problem when I first started out was giving my opponents too much credit, and overplaying certain pairs. I feel my profile is more of a balanced disciplined player, case and point, I was at a freeroll today with about 35BB and the following situation happened to me; EP: SB specifically my cards were AKo 3 raises after blinds; for me an instafold given one player was loose, the others were tight: red flags, sure enough I avoided an all in scenario of 10s vs. Js, against one player no problem hope the coin lands on tails but against two opponents, worse probability right there, you know.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all is depends of the flop and here is just missing example what we can discuss...

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
solid advice. My biggest problem when I first started out was giving my opponents too much credit, and overplaying certain pairs. I feel my profile is more of a balanced disciplined player, case and point, I was at a freeroll today with about 35BB and the following situation happened to me; EP: SB specifically my cards were AKo 3 raises after blinds; for me an instafold given one player was loose, the others were tight: red flags, sure enough I avoided an all in scenario of 10s vs. Js, against one player no problem hope the coin lands on tails but against two opponents, worse probability right there, you know.

I know the situation well I would say it comes down to your personal preference in an MTT it's sometimes a big treble up that becomes the pivotal factor in making a final table or a massive cooler that's the difference.
But also you will often run deep just playing correctly v's weak players

I find the best balance is to be very disciplined but having a fearless streak becomes important against tough opponents.

I'm sure You'll do just fine playing solid in freerolls and low stake mtts just touch up on your optimal game watch a few youtube strategy vids dailly to keep your game sharp til your confident your a solid Reg then move onto more advanced stuff

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I have to disagree. The risk reward in freerolls is so low, the only way to play early is fast and loose. I'm insta-shoving AK in this situation. You have positive equity against loose players and freerollers are the loosest players one can find. Since one needs to finish in the top ten to make the time investment worthwhile, one needs to get the big stack now or go home early.

S

steviewayne69

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to disagree. The risk reward in freerolls is so low, the only way to play early is fast and loose. I'm insta-shoving AK in this situation. You have positive equity against loose players and freerollers are the loosest players one can find. Since one needs to finish in the top ten to make the time investment worthwhile, one needs to get the big stack now or go home early.

I understand what you're saying, the flip side is that many players think AK is gold until they run up against KK or AA on one of those preflop shoves. Although it takes a combination of luck and skill to make the final table of any event, so I can see why pushing with a hand that has positive EV would be correct in this position.

C

cotta777

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Sure as a generalisation fast and loose is effective playing a freeroll but as a whole In a tournament it's important to be discipline and know when to be disciplined.
The long term aim is to become a solid player so it's important we know when and when not we can be solid,

taking multiple way risks is an option Many strong mtt players prefer to Flip heads up.
many top players prefer not to gamble and will just accumalate their chips picking spots