First deposit bust report

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Okay, I started playing NL online - Bovada and made he first deposit of $25 on 04/02 and went to $0 on 04/08. I'm here for the above reason. Not to complain but to learn from you all. There's gotta be a whole lot of things I'm not doing right so I went bust within less than a week! I came across CC online when I was doing relevant searches and found very resourceful articles. I'm back to square one. What's happened has happened. Now I want to start afresh. Before starting afresh, is there a 'things I didn't do right' checklist Or chart that would suffice? I'm going through 'getting into poker: 8 lessons' on this website tutorials section. All your comments will help me gain more perspectives so please feel free to reply to this thread. If you took the time the read through till here, I'm sure you can spare a few moments. Thank you.

Carl Trooper

Carl Trooper

Degenerate Idiot
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello,

I would recommend posting in the "Learning Poker" forum and posting hand histories and asking for advice there. Also reading what others have done.

Listening to podcast, reading books and ultimately playing is going to take you to that next level. However, you need to grasp what you are doing right/wrong first. That is a good section to ask.

Good luck!

BluffMeAllIn

BluffMeAllIn

4evrInmyheart RIP xoxo :(
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on info given only comment as to what was done wrong would be who knows, can't say without seeing hands to know.

However 5bi's is a very small starting roll and even a great player could easily go bustwith only 5bi's at a limit IMO, however granted we have no idea if you are a winning player and having just started there is no way to know then brm doesn't mean a whole amount other than last longer before bust.

I assumed 5bi given you prb played 5nl being the lowest limit on there. If you are looking to grind cash I'd suggest at minimum 100 or 20bi to start if you want to give yourself some room to work on issues and trying not to go bust quickly.

Are you playing 1 table or multiple tables, zone or regular, 6max of full ring (don't know if both run or not don't play much on bovada) etc. The more info you can give about the experience you had of going from 25 to 0 the better it is given there isn't much to go on from the OP.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey there, welcome to CardsChat ;)

Don't worry, we've all been there and it's not fun, but admiting that your game is nowhere perfect and wanting to improve is a big step.

Is this your first time playing real money poker or have you had any experience before?
Do you use a Poker Tracking software like Poker Tracker 4 or Holdem Manager 2? If you don't, download the trial version, it will improve your game vastly. Most of us here can't imagine playing without them.

I can't say much else without seeing your hand histories which you can get from your the poker site you play at. Also, as BluffMeAllIn said you were under rolled for the stakes.

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Carl and the guys give good advice, and you're already jumping into the startegy section, which is good. So that just leaves me to say, welcome to Cardschat! :)

Last edited:
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My standard recommendation for newbies is to learn to play solid TAG (tight aggressive) poker. This offers the best chance to minimize your losses while you build your knowledge of how to play the game.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Okay, I started playing NL online - Bovada and made he first deposit of $25 on 04/02 and went to $0 on 04/08. I'm here for the above reason. Not to complain but to learn from you all. There's gotta be a whole lot of things I'm not doing right so I went bust within less than a week! I came across CC online when I was doing relevant searches and found very resourceful articles. I'm back to square one. What's happened has happened. Now I want to start afresh. Before starting afresh, is there a 'things I didn't do right' checklist Or chart that would suffice? I'm going through 'getting into poker: 8 lessons' on this website tutorials section. All your comments will help me gain more perspectives so please feel free to reply to this thread. If you took the time the read through till here, I'm sure you can spare a few moments. Thank you.
What did you play and at what levels?

U

Ubercroz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1: don't limp.
2: fold a lot.
3: raise a lot in the cut off an on the button.
4: cry, crying helps to get the sad out.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dido the above posters. The most important thing for you at this point is to not make another deposit, at least not immediately. Explore these forums and you will quickly learn things.

New players are at such an extreme disadvantage. I'm not even going to start about BRM because that will be a conversation for when you make your next deposit.

learn about these terms and you'll be headed in the right direction

pot odds
hand strength (absolute vs relative)
implied odds/reverse implied odds (be able to cite numerous examples w/ out even thinking about it)
counting outs and differentiating between 'clean' outs and dirty outs.

Learn about the different games and structures
PLO, NLHE, etc. STT, MTT, Cash FR vs 6MAX vs HU

However, if you really must make another deposit, do EXACTLY as I say.

Deposit $100 dollars.

Play Full ring 5NL and Micro sit n' goes. Avoid the turbos/hypers/double ups/triple ups - those involve a higher level of strategy and you won't be able to adjust your approach

Play the "beginner" tournaments (4.40) and the 2.20's. Limit yourself to one table (I'm sure you haven't even considered the prospect of two, but in the event that you have)

Lastly, STAY OUT of zone at all costs - even the micro levels. Bankrolls can evaporate quickly that way.

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also I agree with Arjonius ^ TAG is optimal for learning players. For myself, I can comfortably raise with a hand like Jc8c, like most of the other posters we know how to play these hands postflop, but you should stick to a standard hand chart.

Look at Caro's top 10 hands and then Hellmuths top 10 hands.

In a full ring NLHE game you can comfortably fold hands like 22, 33, 44, 55, 66, AJs, ATs, in early position - and you have to understand why doing that makes sense

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on info given only comment as to what was done wrong would be who knows, can't say without seeing hands to know.

However 5bi's is a very small starting roll and even a great player could easily go bustwith only 5bi's at a limit IMO, however granted we have no idea if you are a winning player and having just started there is no way to know then brm doesn't mean a whole amount other than last longer before bust.

I assumed 5bi given you prb played 5nl being the lowest limit on there. If you are looking to grind cash I'd suggest at minimum 100 or 20bi to start if you want to give yourself some room to work on issues and trying not to go bust quickly.

Are you playing 1 table or multiple tables, zone or regular, 6max of full ring (don't know if both run or not don't play much on bovada) etc. The more info you can give about the experience you had of going from 25 to 0 the better it is given there isn't much to go on from the OP.

Thank you for replying :)

I deposited $25 on 04/02
Played $0.25/$0.50 with 30 BB worth each game (aka 30 BB = $0.25x30->$1.50).

Had huge.. I mean HUUUGE wins in between but I consistently saw water filling the boat (metaphor for losing at an accelerating rate). Lost consistently, as I recollect most of the hands were losses or I 'succumbed to playing Big Blinds just because I've invested in the hand'.

nitulbhatia

nitulbhatia

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would advise keep the amounts small in the beginning so you can take time to learn. Dont rush to make bigger deposits and rush into bigger games to make fast money. There is no easy money in this game, its easier said than done. Read a lot here and only bet what you can afford to lose. BRM.

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you are in the right forum to learn. I put together some starting points I would recommend you read that thread https://www.cardschat.com/forum/learning-poker-57/1-year-poker-10-poker-commandments-243416/ followed by some informative posts in 'Golden Archive section

thank you! I believe it was written within the last week! that is one of the articles that got me onto this forum. :)

Hey there, welcome to CardsChat ;)

Don't worry, we've all been there and it's not fun, but admiting that your game is nowhere perfect and wanting to improve is a big step.

Is this your first time playing Real Money poker or have you had any experience before?
Do you use a Poker Tracking software like Poker Tracker 4 or Holdem Manager 2? If you don't, download the trial version, it will improve your game vastly. Most of us here can't imagine playing without them.

I can't say much else without seeing your hand histories which you can get from your the Poker site you play at. Also, as BluffMeAllIn said you were under rolled for the stakes.

this is my third week playing poker and the first ever time I'm betting real money. thank you for the response.

I'm now downloading the poker tracker 4. didn't know it had such a great impact of most players here!! that was a stunner!

I got onto a tilt and my last two hands I got Red Pocket Deuces and subsequent hand was red and black pocket deuces. I feel miserable for playing those hands. I wish I could rewind and analyze the thought process at that split moment!

I dont understand what 'being under rolled for the stakes mean' :/

could you please please elaborate?

Carl and the guys give good advice, and you're already jumping into the startegy section, which is good. So that just leaves me to say, welcome to Cardschat! :)

My standard recommendation for newbies is to learn to play solid TAG (tight aggressive) poker. This offers the best chance to minimize your losses while you build your knowledge of how to play the game.

another priceless advice there! the following are the places where I play:

- Zynga: I have read a few articles online stating that playing on FB to improve your skills isn't going to be fruitful. First reason being it is virtual money which can be loaned out or bought for a very very steeply ridiculously cheap price. This segregates the factor of it being taken seriously because I personally know people who have reached 50 million+ chips and have currently some 20K chips left with them. So this makes me believe that it isn't helpful playing here as it isn't real money, bottom line.

- pokerstars: This is again virtual money and the way you can take notes is an impressive feature. Once again I read another great article out here which explains in detail how to take valuable and concise notes during your play online. I'm still yet to see an implementation of this in the form of mind mapping?? Oh wait.. once your last 1000 chips evaporate, you get another 1000 chips refilled automatically to your account which defeats the purpose of using it as a bankroll tool even remotely. haha.

- CarbonPoker: registered but haven't deposited or played one here yet.

- Bovada: lost $25 real money first deposit and it hurts real bad. I want to channel this loss into something that will put me ahead in the game.

One thing about downloading these softwares though, I'm not comfortable having unknown sources softwares running on my computer. if it were from trusted sources why wouldn't they be available on the 'mac App store' for download. If it is for legal reasons, please ignore this paragraph altogether, no sweat.

TAG is the mantra.

1: don't limp.
2: fold a lot.
3: raise a lot in the cut off an on the button.
4: cry, crying helps to get the sad out.

DONTLIMP->FOLDALOT->C/O&BTN-RAISEALOT->hehegotcha

Last edited by a moderator:
Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
sj_pi said:

Basically it means you didn't have a big enough bankroll for the stakes you were playing to absorb any losses or swings in variance.

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dido the above posters. The most important thing for you at this point is to not make another deposit, at least not immediately. Explore these forums and you will quickly learn things.

New players are at such an extreme disadvantage. I'm not even going to start about BRM because that will be a conversation for when you make your next deposit.

learn about these terms and you'll be headed in the right direction

pot odds
hand strength (absolute vs relative)
implied odds/reverse implied odds (be able to cite numerous examples w/ out even thinking about it)
counting outs and differentiating between 'clean' outs and dirty outs.

Learn about the different games and structures
PLO, NLHE, etc. STT, MTT, Cash FR vs 6MAX vs HU

However, if you really must make another deposit, do EXACTLY as I say.

Deposit $100 dollars.

Play Full ring 5NL and Micro sit n' goes. Avoid the turbos/hypers/double ups/triple ups - those involve a higher level of strategy and you won't be able to adjust your approach

Play the "beginner" tournaments (4.40) and the 2.20's. Limit yourself to one table (I'm sure you haven't even considered the prospect of two, but in the event that you have)

Lastly, STAY OUT of zone at all costs - even the micro levels. Bankrolls can evaporate quickly that way.

Yes! yesssss! I concur that I shouldn't make that next deposit.

Haha I googled BRM, got me back to here which is bankroll-management. now I get the joke why I will want to know about it after the next deposit. hehe good one. :D

POTODDS, HANDSTRENGTHS(ABS vs RELATIVE), Implied & reverse implied odds, counting outs(clean vs dirty).

There's a free buy-in tuesdays at a local bar, first place is $50 cash, 2nd is $25 cash and 3rd is $11 tab. They double blinds every 12 minutes with 10 mins break every hour. You get 5000 chips when you buy a fries or some food. I am tempted but do not want to drink there. As I have read both dont go hand in hand. I plan on buying 2x5000 chips and be deep stacked and make it to final table. All the poker I've played till now is on the computer screen.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Thank you for replying :)

I deposited $25 on 04/02
Played $0.25/$0.50 with 30 BB worth each game (aka 30 BB = $0.25x30->$1.50).

Had huge.. I mean HUUUGE wins in between but I consistently saw water filling the boat (metaphor for losing at an accelerating rate). Lost consistently, as I recollect most of the hands were losses or I 'succumbed to playing Big Blinds just because I've invested in the hand'.

Looks to me as you got your maths wrong.

At .25/.50 level you should have at least a $500.00 bankroll imho

$25 at that level is only 1/2 a buy in.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is my third week playing poker and the first ever time I'm betting real money. thank you for the response.

I'm now downloading the poker tracker 4. didn't know it had such a great impact of most players here!! that was a stunner!

I got onto a tilt and my last two hands I got Red Pocket Deuces and subsequent hand was red and black pocket deuces. I feel miserable for playing those hands. I wish I could rewind and analyze the thought process at that split moment!

Variance in Poker can be ugly and we all suffer bad beats and bad runs. If you have a proper bankroll for the stakes (proper amount of money in your account) you can overcome variance and win in Poker. A proper bankroll for any stake is 20 Buy-ins (1 Buy-in = 100BB)

I don't play at Bovada, but people say that the lowest stakes there are $0.02/0.05 and to play those you would need a bankroll of a $100.

New players tend to overplay their small pocket pairs. What you want to do with pocket deuces is make a set because that's most likely the only way you will win with the hand.

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks to me as you got your maths wrong.

At .25/.50 level you should have at least a $500.00 bankroll imho

$25 at that level is only 1/2 a buy in.

oops.. it was a $0.02/$0.05 with $1.50 (30 BB for each game I refilled) I was often tempted to start deep stacked like a 100 BB.

Variance in Poker can be ugly and we all suffer bad beats and bad runs. If you have a proper bankroll for the stakes (proper amount of money in your account) you can overcome variance and win in Poker. A proper bankroll for any stake is 20 Buy-ins (1 Buy-in = 100BB)

I don't play at Bovada, but people say that the lowest stakes there are $0.02/0.05 and to play those you would need a bankroll of a $100.

New players tend to overplay their small pocket pairs. What you want to do with pocket deuces is make a set because that's most likely the only way you will win with the hand.

$100 with 20 Buy-ins of 100 BB each is a great formula!
For how long should I typically wait between the aforementioned 20 buy-ins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can play at the lowest available cash game level with any size BR. If it's .02/.05 (aka nl5), you don't need $100 (20 buyins x $5). Less just means you're more subject to going broke due to variance. Blindly following the 20 buyin guideline means you can't play cash at all unless you have at least $100, which is ridiculous.

Also 20 buyins is aggressive BRM. For newer players, I suggest at least 30 to move up. On bodog, this means you should play 5nl until your BR is at least $300 (30 buyins at 10nl, the next level up).

And you don't have to move up just because you have enough BR to do so.

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$100 with 20 Buy-ins of 100 BB each is a great formula!
For how long should I typically wait between the aforementioned 20 buy-ins.
By that you mean moving up in stakes, right?

Considering the next stakes are 10NL u would need a $200 bankroll. Of course you have to be ready for the stakes and crushing your current stakes (having a winrate of more than 10BB per 100 hands)

You don't have to have a $100 bankroll, but I highly advise it. Before that, you should read some articles here and study to improve your game. Wish you luck :) Be sure to post your results.

PS: Don't go to play money tables.

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
By that you mean moving up in stakes, right?

Considering the next stakes are 10NL u would need a $200 bankroll. Of course you have to be ready for the stakes and crushing your current stakes (having a winrate of more than 10BB per 100 hands)

You don't have to have a $100 bankroll, but I highly advise it. Before that, you should read some articles here and study to improve your game. Wish you luck :) Be sure to post your results.

PS: Don't go to play money tables.

Interesting point there with winrate of 10BB per 100hands.. approx 1BB per 10hands~~! this is easy to keep track of via mind mapping I guess.

I'll definitely post results here.

I'm also thrilled about playing tuesdays at the local bar. They give 5000 chips for buying fries for $3. First prize pays $50 cash, 2nd = $25 cash and 3rd is $11 tab. I'm looking forward to the coming tuesday's game.

Before tuesday I plan on completing 'super system' book at least once.
So far I have observed this book delivering from a philosophical standpoint. I'm hoping to gain some tips from this book.

What is the best place to practice if I shouldn't start playing money yet? Where can I get the real experience without having the spend money. I have my reservations when it comes to quality of game practice gained by playing on Facebook(zynga), pokerstars, bovada, another couple iphone Apps. Any comments on using this as a practice tool?

S

SwiftHax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PokerTracker will track your winrate, so no worries.

When there's no money at stake people don't respect the chips and blow them away. It's good for learning the basics of the game, not much else.

tothbopo

tothbopo

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You done the first step right seek for help and being aware of the fact that poker is compleks and you need to study study study.

You can learn the game in 10 minutes but it takes years to know the game and play it right.

sj_pi

sj_pi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The theme of this thread started by me looks very amateurish to me after going through the content available on this forum. Some of the terms that have hit me are BankRoll Management (BRM), the formula for having 30 Buyins (BI). Oh my and this thread was about my first deposit report haha. This is giving a lot of perspective on what a leveler this game REALLY is!!