Exploitive play VS Optimal Play

T

ticoarm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If there is a optimal play in holdem, and I use it, that means if my opponent don't use optimal play, then I have edge?
Or, if you want to have edge, then you must use exploitive play?
I have confused about this theory.:confused:

T

ticoarm

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if I use optimal play, then nobody can exploitive me, but, at the same time, I can't exploitive others,right? That means I can't earn money from others, and others can't earn money from me?
And if I want to earn money, then I must use exploisive play???

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you use optimal play and your opponent doesnt, then you wont be exploiting his weaknesses as much if you used exploitive play....and if someone is playing optimally then you should either find a better table or play optimally yourself.

crocoduck11

crocoduck11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wonder if I use optimal play, then nobody can exploitive me, but, at the same time, I can't exploitive others,right? That means I can't earn money from others, and others can't earn money from me?
And if I want to earn money, then I must use exploisive play???
Hi, I am a newbie too but I think I can clarify this
To answer your dilemma : OPTIMAL PLAY IS EXPLOITATIVE PLAY
As a poker player your objective should be to maximize your wins and minimize your loses, basically to get the most out of your winning hands and lose the least out of your losing hands.
In order to do maximize your winning hands you have to identify how others play AND EXPLOIT THAT, basically get the most money you can out of that player. That's what good play means (and good = optimal if my english is correct )
I hope that has helped you, good luck and ask if there's something unclear

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, I am a newbie too but I think I can clarify this
To answer your dilemma : OPTIMAL PLAY IS EXPLOITATIVE PLAY
As a poker player your objective should be to maximize your wins and minimize your loses, basically to get the most out of your winning hands and lose the least out of your losing hands.
In order to do maximize your winning hands you have to identify how others play AND EXPLOIT THAT, basically get the most money you can out of that player. That's what good play means (and good = optimal if my english is correct )
I hope that has helped you, good luck and ask if there's something unclear

optimal play is not exploitative play. who told you this?

crocoduck11

crocoduck11

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
optimal play is not exploitative play. who told you this?
I assumed optimal = good
good= getting best value
I just started reading about optimal poker play, ticoarm please disregard my previous post

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I assumed optimal = good
good= getting best value
I just started reading about optimal poker play, ticoarm please disregard my previous post

whats good though? :) ..optimally just means you are balancing your play so you dont get exploited...if you are sitting at a weak table then you dont need to balance your play or be (optimal)..instead you would go for exploitive...which is good, right?....if however you are sitting at a table where everyone is playing optimally then you would need to play in that style too since there are no gaps in their games to get exploited...so it just depends as usual..

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If uou are confused mate then just play ABC poker and learn the game. Forget all the intermediate stuff for now.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Optimal poker is exploitive, optimal literally means best. When both players are both playing maximally exploitive they then reach a point where neither wants to adjust. That last part is what you are referring to alfie

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sorry, i made a mistake....im getting optimal mixed up with GTO...yeah, optimal play is the best possible...sorry for misinformation.

alext9000

alext9000

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you have to be optimal at the beginning and maybe exploitive after..when you have the control of the table..but always don t overestimate yourself..

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you have to be optimal at the beginning and maybe exploitive after..when you have the control of the table..but always don t overestimate yourself..

This doesn't really mean anythibg

T

twohaha

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A good analogy of exploitative play vs optimal play would be how one reacts to different situations. Optimal play is always the same, regardless of the situation. It uses game theory to make a strategy which cannot lose money. On the other hand, exploitative "exploits" the leaks of your opponents, aloowing you to be more profitable. By being exploitative, you are technically deviating from game theory optimal strategy, but you can be making more money than by playing GTO.

duggs

duggs

Killing me softly
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Optimal is not the same as GTO,