Doesn't asking how many chips a player has left give away information??

A

angrybanana

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For example, say you are drawing to a flush in the SB and your opponent OTB raised on the flop. If you ask your opponent for a chip count before you call, wouldn't that indicate that you are drawing so your opponent knows to put more pressure on you when the turn and the river dont bring the speculative flush cards?? I know we need to know how much chips the opponent holds in order to figure out our implied odds but isnt there a better way? I hope this made sense

Last edited:
123andyp123

123andyp123

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in my opinion.It doesnt give away any information.But i do understand what you mean ,and of course this question makes sense.I mean it could give your opponent an idea you are on a flush draw but he probably already has that in his mind and you can use that if you have ,say a big pocket pair .

whowantwhat

whowantwhat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If the person counting their chips hands quiver or their voice cracks when they tell you, they might be showing signs of weaknesss

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two way.

Either he has a decent hand or he is bluffing at all.

I usually do the second one.

D

DrHorrible

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Or you could ask for a remaining chip count while holding the nuts to make the bad guy THINK you are figuring out implied odds on a flush draw....

That pays well about once a year.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see some players asking for specific counts every time they are trying to figure out their odds, to the point where it probably can be perceived as a weakness.

That said, the majority of the time the person asking the question has an advantage over the person answering it in terms of giving away tells or information.

Therefore, I actually think it is okay to not answer the question most of the time. Unless there is a very specific reason why your opponent can't estimate your chip stack then, quite frankly, it is their problem.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Two way.

Either he has a decent hand or he is bluffing at all.

I agree with this, it can make your opponent think you have a good hand and that you want to put him all in.

A

angrybanana

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This opposite theme, where your action indicates the opposite of what you are truly doing, seems to appear very often in poker. I think it could be very useful against players that don't know you very well. I bet this move pays well in cash games live.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Just like everything else in poker you have to mix it up. Ask when you have the nuts, ask when you are on a draw, ask when you have a marginal hand, ask when you intend to fold.

Just don't ask all the time.

Largebalance

Largebalance

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When plaing live I am stone cold silent, I do not even talk between hands. It makes people wonder if you are nuts.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I will randomly go

"lafashalagedadooo"

at the table...

I also go "weeeeweeeeee"

and bark like a donkey

I've won a lot of pots doing that

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've been watching one of the wsop final table live streams on YT over the last few days. One of the players there was asking people in the hand and on his left about their chip counts post-flop (IIRC in 3 way pots) a couple of times, and the commentators were saying that how a villain in later position answers the question can be used to gauge his level of commitment to the hand.

Basically, from what I got from the commentary, this strategy was being used to try and gain some information about whether or not a villain in later position was planning to stay in the hand if there was a bet in front of him.

jazzaxe

jazzaxe

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are implying to the opponent that you are preparing to go all in. It is to your disadvantage if you ask for a count and fail to put your all in bet into the pot.

Poker Chips - History of Chips