PokerSchool Open Skill League - did i play this right?

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold preflop , your stack only 7bb... If before you all fold you can shove this hand.....

About postflop game only shove your straight flush draw, your stack very small what play passive and only call...

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Don't limp OOP with a small stack BvB in an unopened pot, shove or fold pre. I think what you had is fine for shoving against the BB, particularly if he's been tight.

You have to shove this flop 100% of the time, don't call off all your chips chasing the draws. If you're willing to chase the draw, then be the first one to get your chips in the middle. When you're the aggressor, you have an additional way to win the pot, which is when the villain folds.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You got lucky, but any club, 7, or Q would have done it.

You pretty much had to follow thru once you bet the draw, so shoving would have only made it easier. Villain was coming along with the trips no matter what you did.

Nothing to pat yourself on the back for tho.

D

DrHorrible

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly would have done something different every step of the way.

zarzar78

zarzar78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the open skill league tournament i will just stand and not bet on the flop, points are very important so i will play carefull until i will make a hand : straight ou flush.
In any other tournament i will bet on the flop.

DonV73

DonV73

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't have limped in preflop either. With less that 10bb it's an push/fold situation for me. but nh anyway :)

RedCatPoker

RedCatPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree, in the league is vital to be in the tournament as long as possible. However you had a short stack and maybe the risk was justified.

In the open skill league tournament i will just stand and not bet on the flop, points are very important so i will play carefull until i will make a hand : straight ou flush.
In any other tournament i will bet on the flop.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't limp OOP with a small stack BvB in an unopened pot, shove or fold pre. I think what you had is fine for shoving against the BB, particularly if he's been tight.

You have to shove this flop 100% of the time, don't call off all your chips chasing the draws. If you're willing to chase the draw, then be the first one to get your chips in the middle. When you're the aggressor, you have an additional way to win the pot, which is when the villain folds.

^^^ YES. THIS^^^

I would have jammed preflop. I suppose it is mildy OK to limp and jam on any above average flop. (definition of above avg flop: any 8, any jack, any club draw, and OESD, and maybe raggedy small flops with 1 club where you have 2 overs) Limping is not what I would have done, but it's probably not terrible as with the antes you are getting better than 6:1 with a hand that has a lot of potential....so limping and jamming pre are both OK, with my preference toward jamming.

On the flop there is only 1 way to play this: JAM! If they all fold, great, you just took down a nice sized pot with J high and increased your stack by more than 30%. Also, this has a high likelihood of working because it's hard for opponents to catch a piece of a paired flop. If they call your jam on the flop that's OK too because you have a lot of outs and since you were probably never folding on this flop anyways, better to be the one to get your stack in and put them to the test.

Don't feeler bet this flop as you're never folding. Exert maximum fold equity. Taking down this pot is the primary objective.