Couple questions for you guys

H

hayden536

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, i had a couple questions about getting started playing poker. What book would any of you recommend i read if i want to get started making money through online poker? Also, do you have a site you recommend? I read some stuff on this site about starting with .10 / .20 games with $50, just wondering if you have a site you recommend. Thanks.

starting_at_the_bottom

starting_at_the_bottom

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mental game of poker would be the best book IMO. So many people bust their bankroll because of mental weakness, rather than lack of strategic ability.

In terms of gameplay I would not bother with a book. If you are wanting to improve at microstakes no limit 6max, there are plenty of article on websites with all you need to know.

In fact I could probably write all you need to know about 4nl in twenty minutes.

Last edited:
MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you want to fixed limit that would be ok $50 not if you want play NL cashgames.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoyed reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: http://www.gamblingsystem.biz/books/Phil%20Gordon's%20Little%20Green%20Book%20(Phil%20Gordon).pdf
I must add Phil has his very own kind of poker and it is not ment for everybody. But i learned a new strategy with this one, and in a MTT switching strategy is sometimes really nice IMO. Building up an image and then change style will confuse them.

H

hayden536

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Mental game of poker would be the best book IMO. So many people bust their bankroll because of mental weakness, rather than lack of strategic ability.

In terms of gameplay I would not bother with a book. If you are wanting to improve at microstakes no limit 6max, there are plenty of article on websites with all you need to know.

In fact I could probably write all you need to know about 4nl in twenty minutes.

Cool thanks for the info man time to start learning:)

If you want to fixed limit that would be ok $50 not if you want play NL cashgames.

Do you know of site where fixed limit games like that are held?

H

hayden536

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoyed reading Phil Gordon's Little Green Book: http://www.gamblingsystem.biz/books/Phil%20Gordon's%20Little%20Green%20Book%20(Phil%20Gordon).pdf
I must add Phil has his very own kind of poker and it is not ment for everybody. But i learned a new strategy with this one, and in a MTT switching strategy is sometimes really nice IMO. Building up an image and then change style will confuse them.

The link didnt work for me :-(

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tbh I wouldn't know about fixed limit it was more about if you play No limit holdem with 20c blinds you only have 2.5 stack if you either unlucky or not playing well you are broke within no time..

I think you better can choose a game variant you enjoy the most.
Stick to that at first and try to improve that one also consider bankrollmanagement at any time.

Let's say with $50 you can play NL2 is with 2c blinds (100BB deep and thats 25 stacks) or only playing $1 Sit and go's,, MTT's basically you need at least 100 buy ins so that would be 50c MTT's this way you prevent yourself from going broke easy, but I would prefer more as 100 buy ins for MTT's if you move to higher limits.

GL

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless of the size of your BR, why not start at the lowest stake? If it turns out you can beat it right away, NP. If not - which is probably more likely - it's hard to come up with reasons why you'd have been better off to start higher.

L

lilmishap

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For books the Harrington poker books are meant to be the best. I have one but I haven't started it yet....Im not much of a reader. But it was highly recommended on other sites.

MasterOfDisaster

MasterOfDisaster

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Regardless of the size of your BR, why not start at the lowest stake? If it turns out you can beat it right away, NP. If not - which is probably more likely - it's hard to come up with reasons why you'd have been better off to start higher.

Agree !

Guess with BRM and only $50 this always will happen starting at microstakes :)

H

hayden536

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Apparently poker stars .com has microstakes with 1c/2c blinds with a max buy in of $2 so that sounds like what im looking for.